What did I just spent $300+ on?

Blown01NJ

So I recently purchased an "authentic" retail edge 2.0 from EP. There seems to be a sh!tload of confusion surrounding the retail jerseys that are currently available, but maybe someone on here with more knowledge than me can help me out. My new 'authentic' jersey was made in Indonesia? Really?? Im sure this is not what the players are wearing. To be honest, it's only marginally better than my premier. What gives?

0971187.jpg

3117007.jpg

0086178.jpg

5860350.jpg

7555383.jpg

1571902.jpg

Edited by Blown01NJ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the new shirt this season. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the real deal.

BTW...retail pricing on jerseys is the reason why i started collecting game worns. It's terrible what they price these retail jerseys at.

I feel like I've been had.

If I'd have known I wasnt getting what the players are wearing I would have looked for a game worn or just got another premier.

Real deal = what the players wear. This is not what the players are wearing. I have seen authentics before and this does not compare.

This is the 2011-12 version with the "REEBOK" on the back neck instead of the Vector. Reebok's production of the 2011-12 Authentic NHL jersey is in Indonesia. The "made in indonesia" label is printed on the collar.

However, the quality has decreased and these are now being called "indo-Edges" to separate them from the previous versions. I don't blame someone for taking them as knockoffs or inferior because that is seemingly what has happened.

Here's a facebook page devoted ot it:

My link

Here's a quick synopisis:

Back in the early 2000s when Reebok purchased the primary jersey supplier for the NHL, CCM, little changed in terms of the construction of the hockey jersey that was worn by both players on the ice and in terms of what fans could buy in stores. The Reebok 6100 series authentic jerseys were identical to what was being worn by players at the time and were built to very high standards as a result. These jerseys could be found in numerous retail outlets and often for reasonable prices, commonly less than $200. The remarkable weight and quality of these Canadian-made jerseys made them appealing to buyers who wanted to wear the same thing that their favorite players were wearing.

Starting in 2007, Reebok began a push for a higher-tech, modern hockey jersey. The result of this movement was the EDGE 1.0 jersey. Originally, EDGE jerseys were touted as being water resistant and lighter, as well as cooler, than the previous authentic jerseys. Unfortunately for Reebok, the EDGE 1.0 jerseys were intensely unpopular with many players as the water resistant material tended to drain sweat into players' already sweaty gloves. As a result, Reebok came up with the EDGE 2.0 jerseys that are far more durable and use the older style Air-knit instead of the new water resistant, and less durable Play-Dry material. These 2.0s have been the predominant jerseys worn by players for the past 3 years, but were never sold at retail and the authentic style jerseys available at team stores and retail outlets continued to be the 1.0 style.

Recently, Reebok has replaced the 1.0 retail style with a half-baked Indonesian made replacement that is being sold as authentic. Real authentics are made in Canada and are of very high quality. These Indo-EDGES as we have come to call them are much lower quality than the true on-ice 2.0s and are significantly lighter weight. Unfortunately for Reebok, a number of collectors own game worn jerseys and can tell the difference. Not only is the quality much less, but as a result of cheap, automated production these jerseys share construction similarities with the Chinese fakes that the NHL works so hard to combat. These new jerseys even lack neck tagging ans simply have the size and "Made in Indonesia" label printed on the inside collar. One of the best ways to tell a legitimate jersey from a fake has always been to examine the tagging for misspellings and incorrect fonts. Now, buyers are going to struggle to tell which jerseys are legitimate and which are fakes. Though the EDGE jerseys have always been more expensive than the older models, cost cutting techniques like this are unacceptable not only because Reebok has passed only a $50 savings on to consumers, but also because the 2.0 jerseys are of much higher quality than the Indo-Edges and 1.0s.

Lastly, Reebok calls these jerseys authentics and claims they are what the players wear on-ice. This is as false as advertising gets and is borderline insulting. Please help to educate potential buyers about these abominations and help push Reebok towards offering us collectors and fans a true authentic jersey.

Edited by SJP20

This is the 2011-12 version with the "REEBOK" on the back neck instead of the Vector. Reebok's production of the 2011-12 Authentic NHL jersey is in Indonesia. The "made in indonesia" label is printed on the collar.

However, the quality has decresed and these are now being called "indo-Edges" to separate them from the previous versions. I don't blame someone for taking them as knockoffs or inferior because that is seemingly what has happened.

Players are not wearing indo edge though. Therefore, what I just spent over $300 on as authentic, is not indeed authentic. The players are wearing 2.0s made in Canada.

I would have rather just bought an authentic 1.0 with the vector on the sleeve/back for that money.

Players are not wearing indo edge though. Therefore, what I just spent over $300 on as authentic, is not indeed authentic. The players are wearing 2.0s made in Canada.

I would have rather just bought an authentic 1.0 with the vector on the sleeve/back for that money.

Yep.

I misread your original question somewhat as i thought you meant if the jersey is "real", which it is, instead of if it's what the players wear.

Consider game worns. For the price you paid for that jersey you could have bought one or two inexpensive ones of current and known ex-Devils (White, for instance) if you know where to look.

Edited by SJP20

Yeah, you've been indo-edged. Basically if Reebok wasn't screwing the customer enough, they now pass these so called "authentics" off as the real deal.

Sometimes I wonder who really is out to screw the consumer more, the counterfeiter offering a similar jersey for $40 or Reebok's so called $300 authentic.

I wonder if EP will take this back. I dont know what to do now. Look for a game worn 2.0 or get an authentic 1.0.

As long as they have a return policy, i don't see why not. If that shirt was bought blank and customized, they probably won't.

I had on here for a long time a photomatched/Meigray displayed game worn road David Clarkson 2.0 for $400 that's a deal.

As long as they have a return policy, i don't see why not. If that shirt was bought blank and customized, they probably won't.

I had on here for a long time a photomatched/Meigray displayed game worn road David Clarkson 2.0 for $400 that's a deal.

I ordered it all from them. I'm sure it came to them as a blank and they customized it. I paid $313 shipped. StichesNJ has customized 1.0s for around the same. It's so fvcking retarded that I cant just get a 2.0 that the players are CURRENTLY USING.

Edited by Blown01NJ

I ordered it all from them. I'm sure it came to them as a blank and they customized it. I paid $313 shipped. StichesNJ has customized 1.0s for around the same. It's so fvcking retarded that I cant just get a 2.0 that the players are CURRENTLY USING.

I meant bought blank by you from EP and then EP did the customizing for you. Should have been clearer lol.

Stitches will not sell the indo-Edges. Only the Canada made shirts. I think that's on their website now.

I meant bought blank by you from EP and then EP did the customizing for you. Should have been clearer lol.

Stitches will not sell the indo-Edges. Only the Canada made shirts. I think that's on their website now.

How else would I have gotten it? I dont see why they wont take it back regardless. They will sell a Kovalchuk. (Unless people actually read this thread)

Stitches only sells 1.0s. As far as I know there is no way to get a Canadian made 2.0 (What the players are actually wearing) retail.

I still may keep this one. Not sure.

Edited by Blown01NJ

Ummm, aren't there LAWS against false advertising? What's it going to take for someone to bring this to the courts?

The league might be using up what's left of the 2.0 RBK stock/materials then the switch will be made to the Indo-Edge. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess.

Those of us that collect game worns will probably find this out before most. It actually would work out great. Crappier construction = more repairs/wear.

The NHL is not the only league that sells different retail authentics then player authentics.

I dont think anyone has game issued 2.0 jerseys. I dont think its possible to get them.

Just buy a 2.0 game worn and end the search. :cheers: Between MG's sale, us here, and eBay you could buy plenty of assorted players on the Devils (past and current) for the same price or less as a customized authentic.

Edited by SJP20