CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

I'm going to miss the Clark-A-Round...and I am going to miss the 1 or 2 exciting times a year when he actually scored with one. Also, no more David Clarkson on the ice when the team is down with less than 2 minutes left in the game for me to complain about seconds before he ties it on some lame weak shot. lol. Wait, now I'm sad. :(

That was quick. The balding guy is Wendel Clark haha.

Dream come true for David...he must be loving this.

Poor Clark was balding from about 22 years old on.  The only picture where he actually looks kind of young and had a full head of hair was his rookie card. 

Clarkson had best enjoy this.

Because the downward spiral begins once that puck drops.  Media's going to rip him apart.

The fun part is now.  The hard part (living up to the money and fan expectations) starts in October.

• 1 month later...

Now this cover is the one that hurts.... im going to miss this guy... classy dude watch him get bought out in a few years and return

He's an SOB on the ice.  Not to the level of Avery, but maybe Esa Tikannen.

In one of the Isles games last year, he pushed the puck in the Isles net a good 5 to 10 seconds after the play ended.  It's one of the biggest no-nos in hockey, and it's the first time I've ever seen it, or at least it's the only time I remember seeing it.  (Hell, Claude used to get under the other team's skin by shooting the puck in the other team's net at the end of pre-game warm ups).   

Don't get me wrong, all things being equal, you love having guys like that on your team, so long as they're not huge embarassments like Avery.  Let's just not go talking about him like he's Elias or Datsyuk so far as class is concerned.

If Clarkson is bought out I still wouldn't want him back on the team.

Not because of the sting of losing him, just because he won't be a particularly good player at that point.

He better put up numbers and quickly or he'll quickly become public enemy number one in that city in no time.

People keep saying this and I'm not buying it.  For one, Toronto is a city that is used to supporting a losing hockey team.  For two, their hero of the last 30 years is Wendel Clark.  Nice player, maybe made an All-Star game once or twice, but not an all-time great or anything close.  They worship Clark more than Mats Sundin.  All Clarkson has to do to get most of the fans' approval is fight every so often.

People keep saying this and I'm not buying it.  For one, Toronto is a city that is used to supporting a losing hockey team.  For two, their hero of the last 30 years is Wendel Clark.  Nice player, maybe made an All-Star game once or twice, but not an all-time great or anything close.  They worship Clark more than Mats Sundin.  All Clarkson has to do to get most of the fans' approval is fight every so often.

They might be used to supporting a losing team, but that doesn't mean they give their players free passes.  Although I'm not that keyed into the psyche of your average Leaf's fan, they were pretty brutal towards Kessel and Phaneuf, and were ready to call Kadri a bust before this year. 

Also, even towards the end of Clark's career with the Leafs, he was something close to a .5 ppg player.  And they did manage to get Mats Sundin out of him before he came back, so that would tend to take the sting out of any otherwise perceived mediocrity. 

I suppose if the Leafs are winning, the fans won't get too upset if Clarkson offensive numbers stink.  But if they miss the playoffs, and he has something like 15 goals/12 assists, no amount of fighting or appeals that he's a hometown boy are going to save him. 

EDIT:  Remember this:

Edited by Daniel

Disagree

Even though statistics suggest them making the playoffs was a fluke, the majority of the fanbase believes they are now going to morph into a perennial playoff team because of their young core of Kadri, Kessel, JVR, etc. They wrongfully think Clarkson and Bolland are upgrades over Grabovski, Frattin and MacArthur. To them, Nonis is the best thing to happen to that club since Darryl Sittler and believe Carlyle is the next Toe Blake. They're starving for a Cup and I'm afraid the "success" of last season and their playoff performance pre period 3 of game 7 will set unrealistic expectations. If Clarkson doesn't score 40 goals in his first 2 years, I think it could get ugly......quickly

i disagree and i'm pretty damn confident I personally know and am exposed to more Leafs fans that you do.

also Clarkson is making a LOT more money than the usual leaf player

Edited by SterioDesign

The media and the people there can absolutely turn on the players, rip them to shreds. Players up there need thick skin. Having a sold out arena for decades and a constant passion for hockey just comes with the territory of living in Canada's largest city, but not because they tolerate or celebrate losers. Their media are piranhas when things don't go their way.

Edited by DJ Eco