Elias still overlooked

Neb00rs

Elias is a different kind of good. Ovechkin is good, we can all agree on that. But, when you see Ovechkin's highlights, it's usually him doing some split the D type of sh!t. Elias is nice with the puck, but he isn't going to do that kind of stuff. Look at his shootout attempts. They are very plain but they work. People would rather see Ovechkin's missed attempts that Elias' successful attempts. Rival fans are very well aware of Elias too and they all know he is good. Everyone knows he is good. And the fact that he is a different kind of good is not an issue and does not make him any less great of a player. He's a fantastic passer (still probably top ten in the league) and is a great shooter as well. He's a fantastic teammate and he defines Devils' hockey. I do hope he goes to the Hall of Fame because he deserves it and will finish with well over 1000 points and at least two Stanley Cups. On a related note, I hope Kovalchuk carries on the team-first mentality once Marty and Elias are gone and people like Henrique, Parise (if he stays), etc all have the mindset as well.

The Elias highlight from the other night, where he let the pass go through his legs to Larsson and then scored on the return pass, was featured by the NHL.

I don't think he is overlooked. He was our offensive leader for years and was always at least in the discussion as a top 5 LW before the lockout. As others said, there is clearly respect out there by most GMs, coaches and players...

Yes. This means nothing. He is overlooked by the media and hockey fans.

Elias is a different kind of good. Ovechkin is good, we can all agree on that. But, when you see Ovechkin's highlights, it's usually him doing some split the D type of sh!t. Elias is nice with the puck, but he isn't going to do that kind of stuff. Look at his shootout attempts. They are very plain but they work. People would rather see Ovechkin's missed attempts that Elias' successful attempts. Rival fans are very well aware of Elias too and they all know he is good. Everyone knows he is good. And the fact that he is a different kind of good is not an issue and does not make him any less great of a player. He's a fantastic passer (still probably top ten in the league) and is a great shooter as well. He's a fantastic teammate and he defines Devils' hockey. I do hope he goes to the Hall of Fame because he deserves it and will finish with well over 1000 points and at least two Stanley Cups. On a related note, I hope Kovalchuk carries on the team-first mentality once Marty and Elias are gone and people like Henrique, Parise (if he stays), etc all have the mindset as well.

not necessarily true. i've seen elias pull some crazy stuff...

$5 mil this season and next. I agree that his teammates, coaches, and others in the league have plenty of respect for him.

It seems as though ben00rs is only concerned with the media here, though. :noclue:

Isnt this guy making nearly as much as Kovalchuk. I'm sure he couldn't care less what the media or fans think of him. He has a ton of cash from the Devils and a ton of respect around the league, his teammates, his coaches, and the fans he sees most regularly.

Absolutely Josh. Elias caring or not is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see players you have watched give their all for 15 years get the respect and credit they deserve.

Absolutely Josh. Elias caring or not is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see players you have watched give their all for 15 years get the respect and credit they deserve.

That's true. It would be nice for us, as fans, if he were more recognized by other fans.

I don't think he is overlooked. He was our offensive leader for years and was always at least in the discussion as a top 5 LW before the lockout. As others said, there is clearly respect out there by most GMs, coaches and players...

To me, this is kind of the point. Nevermind top 5, from 2000-2006 he was right up there in the conversation as the best LW in the game. He was a point per game player in '99-'00 and was the best offensive player in the playoffs. In 2001 he was 3rd in the NHL in scoring and 6th overall in 03-04. Coming off the strike he missed a half a year but was at 1.2 ppg. He also has had some very flashy goals over the years. I think the biggest thing working against him and guys like Afreddson is that they never really became the big fish during free agency or the trade dealine to get overhyped. Also, playing for one team doesn't help in terms of exposure. West coast fans who don't have any interest in the Devils probably don't watch him more than once or twice a year. Compare that to a guy like Hossa who has played for 5 teams and in both conferences. Elias is as underrated as they get for a player with his accomplishments.

To me, this is kind of the point. Nevermind top 5, from 2000-2006 he was right up there in the conversation as the best LW in the game. He was a point per game player in '99-'00 and was the best offensive player in the playoffs. In 2001 he was 3rd in the NHL in scoring and 6th overall in 03-04. Coming off the strike he missed a half a year but was at 1.2 ppg. He also has had some very flashy goals over the years. I think the biggest thing working against him and guys like Afreddson is that they never really became the big fish during free agency or the trade dealine to get overhyped. Also, playing for one team doesn't help in terms of exposure. West coast fans who don't have any interest in the Devils probably don't watch him more than once or twice a year. Compare that to a guy like Hossa who has played for 5 teams and in both conferences. Elias is as underrated as they get for a player witrh his accomplishments.

This argument doesn't work at all. From Joe Sakic to Steve Yzerman to Mario Lemieux to so may others players who only plaed for one team or who were known for playing for one team. Then look at a player like Pierre Turgeon who no one remembers anything about yet was an incredible player. He played for 6 teams and scored over 1300 points and left the game on a very quiet not a few years ago.

This is dead on.. I completely agree.. And, Elias used to be able to make flashier moves like Ovi but Patrik was never Ovi good.. Now he has more of a finesse type of game, but is still just as effective as he was over 10 years ago

Elias has always been underrated and not only do I think he's a top 10 passer in the league like another poster said, I think he's up there with Datsyuk competing for the best passer in the league, period. His game now is not making highlight reel plays, but rather making plays happen with his vision. To me, Elias is like a chess player, he sees 5-10 moves ahead of everyone else and this allows him to know where the puck is going to be, where the open ice is and how to make the right play to either get the puck to open ice/player or to get there himself. You're not gonna see Elias deke defenders out of their pants, even though he could very well do that, instead, you'll see him always making the right pass and always being able to sneak into the open areas undetected because he knows where that open ice is going to be before anyone else realizes there's even any open ice to begin with. Elias is the ultimate hockey IQ player, he just sees the game in a way that few players do and that, more so than his physical abilities, is what has allowed him to be the great player that he has been and still is.

A note on Elias HOF chances, imo, if he doesn't make the HOF, it'll be a tragedy. As I said, he's the kind of player that sees the game like few players can and those types of players are, imo, the most deserving of making it into the HOF because they are pure hockey players, they play the game the way it was meant to be played and they become great, not through being gifted physically, but instead by always learning and advancing their game so that they have this understanding of the game that's beyond what most players can do and by being able to read the play better and quicker than anyone else can. These types of players just have such a high hockey IQ that it allows them to know where to be and what to do or allows them to see and make plays that the other players can't even imagine.

I agree with the Hockey IQ of Elias, he seems to just glid past other players, making small turns as they fly past him as he goes up the ice. It is quite comical at times to see him make it as he doesnt even need to try to get past other players and make a great play happen. Not flashy at all but more effective than flash anyday!

All i really need to say regarding Elias can be summed up by this -->. :hail:

I agree with the Hockey IQ of Elias, he seems to just glid past other players, making small turns as they fly past him as he goes up the ice. It is quite comical at times to see him make it as he doesnt even need to try to get past other players and make a great play happen. Not flashy at all but more effective than flash anyday!

All i really need to say regarding Elias can be summed up by this -->. :hail:

Lol, You def summed it up better than I could. I kind of went on a tangent on my love for Elias...

I went to college in Philadelphia. Let me put it this way, judging by their sports talk radio, Elias is anything but forgettable to Flyers fans and they appreciate how good he is.

This is very true. I've lived in PA for 12 years now and ALWAYS philly fans recognized Elias as a great player. I think that may have been mostly because of all the backbreaking goals he scored against them in the playoffs through the championship years of the franchise, but they have definitly always given him his due. I would have to say a good portion of the blame for him being largely unrecognized in the eyes of the league is because all the other teams in the league don't see him as often. Philly, more than any other team (other than us obviously) has really been the only team to feel the full impact of what Elias can do as a player. The Rangers were trash for most of Elias' career and so probably just want to ingore everything they saw, ditto islanders, ditto penguins.

Forget the All-Star Game, It will truely be a travisty if Elias isn't chosen to go to the hall of fame. Part of one of the most dynamic lines of all time, eventually 1000+ point getter, 2 time cup champion (and hopefully more before he retires) and all while being blatently ignored by the VAST majority of analysts and fans that don't watch him.