Lemaire and Younger Players

Daniel

He's obviously not coming back, and this isn't a fire DeBoer thread, but I was wondering if anyone thinks there's something to how younger players have faired while Lemaire was the coach.  In his latest stints, he seemed to get the most out of Tedenby and Josefson, and even had scrubs like Bergfors and Palmieri playing pretty well, to the point that Bergfors was good enough to be the centerpiece of the Kovalchuk trade. 

Of course, Josefson and Tedenby were playing at a time when the team didn't have that much to lose, and, if I recall, got ice time with Kovalchuk, which will help anyone's performance.  But Tedenby, at least, got so bad all of the sudden once Lemaire left that I think there has to be more to it than that.

You could also argue that a guy like Fayne more or less came out of nowhere to be an effective NHL defenseman when Lemaire was the coach, although that might have just as much to do with Larry Robinson, who, in retrospect appears to have been great for Larsson as well. 

Also, FWIW, as some of you know, I'm related to another poster here, who's friends with one of the current members of the team.  He's played for a lot of different coaches, and said Lemaire was the best coach he's ever played for.   

Also, FWIW, as some of you know, I'm related to another poster here, who's friends with one of the current members of the team.  He's played for a lot of different coaches, and said Lemaire was the best coach he's ever played for.   

I've seen this a lot from various players, Lemaire is simply one of the best hockey minds ever.  I'd love to see him back as I think he's also great for a team in transition like we are, but sadly this is not going to happen.

Lemaire is obviously a great mind, and he clearly knows how to get a team together. He took a spoiled superstar in Kovalchuk and somehow convinced him to play a two-way game as best he could.

That being said, the guy's earned his time off. He doesn't need the stresses of being a head coach in his life right now. I hope he's enjoying the hell out of his retirement, and gets to keep on doing so.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Lemaire is obviously a great mind, and he clearly knows how to get a team together. He took a spoiled superstar in Kovalchuk and somehow convinced him to play a two-way game as best he could.

That being said, the guy's earned his time off. He doesn't need the stresses of being a head coach in his life right now. I hope he's enjoying the hell out of his retirement, and gets to keep doing so.

I'm selfish, so I'm hoping to ruin his retirement for 1 more year.

• Like 1

Guys if you haven't figured it out yet let me explain: lou was a great mind when the trap was used years ago, its the only way a team with less talent can be competitive with the more skilled teams, we benefited from this style for many years, but now the trap is long gone never to return, Lou knows nothing about the new NHL. the devils will be no more than a middle of the line team until major changes are made. Debour plays a more uptempo style without the horses the devils will never leave the gate.

Thank goodness for you. I think we've all been living in the dark until now. PRAISE YE OH GREAT ONE!

Guys if you haven't figured it out yet let me explain: lou was a great mind when the trap was used years ago, its the only way a team with less talent can be competitive with the more skilled teams, we benefited from this style for many years, but now the trap is long gone never to return, Lou knows nothing about the new NHL. the devils will be no more than a middle of the line team until major changes are made. Debour plays a more uptempo style without the horses the devils will never leave the gate.

First off, welcome to the boards!   :cheers:

Second, I think it's pretty apparent to anyone paying attention that the trap is dead and gone.  And, as you said, this team doesn't have the horses to play PDB's dump-chase-point shot-clear cycle (let alone a rush style offense!) so what can he do.

My question is, and this sort of goes back to Daniel's OP, but is PDB the coach to rebuild around?  Is he good with developing young players?  If Larsson, Ted, and JJ are any indication..no.  Or at best, the jury's still out.

didn't mean to offend anyone, Ive played, coached this game for many years(over 40), the current roster no matter who the coach is, wont even barely be anything more than a possible playoff team with a first round exit,  PDB is not the problem, THIS IS NOT A GOOD TEAM .look at the islanders, how many years of finishing at the bottom with low picks did it take for them to be just a very good hockey team(not a great one)  Its a new NHL its time for the Devils to rebuild.

Please explain how a GM, who constructed a team that came out on top of it's conference once and missed the playoffs only twice, knows nothing about the so called, "new NHL", which has been around for 8 years now? You should also work on not sounding like Rangers fan when you post about how LL knows nothing and that the Devils only won via the trap.

• Like 2

didn't mean to offend anyone, Ive played, coached this game for many years(over 40), the current roster no matter who the coach is, wont even barely be anything more than a possible playoff team with a first round exit,  PDB is not the problem, THIS IS NOT A GOOD TEAM .look at the islanders, how many years of finishing at the bottom with low picks did it take for them to be just a very good hockey team(not a great one)  Its a new NHL its time for the Devils to rebuild.

A coach would understand how our lineup isn't a terrible NHL lineup.  Rebuilding is not in Lou's vocabulary.  Other posters have pointed out with the Olesz thread that he was a 7th overall pick.  A rebuild doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up with Tavares', RNH's, and Hall's

Part of it is on Debo for not changing the system. Like you said, they just don't have the horses for his offense. Adapt, or die - in this league at least. Have to play to your strengths and right now they are not. 

Edited by Devils Pride 26

We should bring Johnny Mac back.....can't get much worse than this...

Except the Devils showed nothing under Mac.  The Devils have been competitive in these first 14 games for the most part.  So yes it can be worse imo.  We're still only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

• Like 1