New Devils Financial News

njdevil26

Why wouldn't we remain calm, even if JVB is going BK the value of the team is in the arena so they aren't going any where. I think NJDEVS put it best, worst case we have a lower budget and have to shed some contracts till we get a new owner...honestly we are incredibly spoiled fans and Im not going to off myself if the team has to struggle a bit, after all I am a Mets fan.

Why wouldn't we remain calm, even if JVB is going BK the value of the team is in the arena so they aren't going any where. I think NJDEVS put it best, worst case we have a lower budget and have to shed some contracts till we get a new owner...honestly we are incredibly spoiled fans and Im not going to off myself if the team has to struggle a bit, after all I am a Mets fan.

That may be, but really who is to say a situation like what happened Atlanta can't happen to us where the owners are struggling financially and taking such loses that they have no choice but to sell, and the only buyers are ones looking to move the team?

I really do hope what you put really is the worst case senario. I will still follow the team if they suck. Hell I started watching them when they still sucked in 89.

Kevin Smith should buy part of the team.

Yes, with all the piles of money he made from his films in the last 10 years and he can sign the ownership papers while wearing his Gretzky Edmonton jersey :whistling::rolleyes:

Shedding contracts won't even be too bad. Salvador will be gone after this season and be replaced with Urbom saving 2 mil, Brodeur's contract is up and with his injuries I honestly think he's going to retire (saving 5.2 mil) Parise's raise will have to be in the 1-2 mil range but I'm sure Lou will work out a deal like Kovy where Zach will get paid 6 mil the next year or two (same as now). I bet Kinkaid is going to get some time this year as well in net to see if he can start/back up for next season. They might have to trade Zubrus to save his 3.6 mil for the last year of his contract as well. The Peters/Pandolfo buyouts will be gone saving another 1 mil...

There are some decent ways here that JVB can save some cash without gutting the team.

the devils aren't moving, it's just a question of when vanderbeek can finally sell and get out. he brought the newark arena which is great, but he also bought the team with money he didn't have, and hasn't gotten.

I think I'm with you on this. I think he leveraged everything but I'm fine with it because he brought the devils to Newark and managed to get one of the nicest arena's in the country built. I do wonder who would purchase the team though after the whole thing with the mets....eh, what can you do. :noclue:

and the team could always lower mother******g ticket prices and get people to games!

Or the team loses more money from lost revenue. The team isn't purposefully setting ticket prices to purposefully lower revenue and attendance.

When someone pays $25 million to get out of dodge, usually a sign that there's truth to all the doomsday reports. If the **** is going to hit the fan, hope it isn't before Zach gets signed at least lol.

I don't think this has actually happened yet. It's all being tied together with the refinancing of the expired loan and done at the same time. So who knows if that's still the situation now.

Oh there you go being silly:)

I am very silly lol. I just don't understand how the team hasn't figured it out yet. Move game times back to 7:30 on weeknights so people have the time to get there after work, and lower prices a little bit! There's no reason people should have to pay over 100 to sit in the goal bar. There are no amenities. You aren't in the lower level and you have exclusive access to pay 9$ for a beer at a nice looking bar. Mezzanine seats at center ice are 80-100$... the are 60$ in Philly.

The Devils could also look to buy that lot between the arena and Arena Lounge. It's owned by the city and they could buy it and own a parking lot= more revenue.

You can make it up or exceed that in concessions/merchandise/etc if you get more people through the doors with lower ticket prices.

The team knows this as well. The team is looking to optimize total revenue, not attendance or concession/merchandise revenue. I believe the Devils attendance isn't as drastically affected by ticket prices as others think.

I am very silly lol. I just don't understand how the team hasn't figured it out yet. Move game times back to 7:30 on weeknights so people have the time to get there after work, and lower prices a little bit! There's no reason people should have to pay over 100 to sit in the goal bar. There are no amenities. You aren't in the lower level and you have exclusive access to pay 9$ for a beer at a nice looking bar. Mezzanine seats at center ice are 80-100$... the are 60$ in Philly.

The Devils could also look to buy that lot between the arena and Arena Lounge. It's owned by the city and they could buy it and own a parking lot= more revenue.

I never understood the advantages of sitting in the goal bar other than the seat itself is nicer than the standard ones.

Also I think the start time of 7:00 from 7:30 was done because the channels that air the programs want to start their post-game at 9:30 instead and then have regular programming at 10. Back when it started at 7:30 and they went into overtime the game would go past 10PM and there would be a short post-game and eat into the 10PM program.

Edited by DevsMan84

Or the team loses more money from lost revenue. The team isn't purposefully setting ticket prices to purposefully lower revenue and attendance.

They could have ticket plans where you pick the number of games you go to and the ticket price could decrease depending on how many you buy.

1 game= 2 seats at 50$ each.

2 games= 2 seats at 48$ each.

So on and so forth.

Moving game times back to 7:30 is also vital I think. Working ANYWHERE in the NJ/NYC area and you know it's VERY hard to get out of work and get into downtown Newark by 7pm.

Make game tickets double as a coupon for 10% off something in the team store. Might entice someone to go buy a 30$ player t-shirt just for the 3$ savings.

There are so many little things that the team could do to save the fans money by enticing them to spend more.

I don't know how most of you can say "it's ok, I'm not going to get crazy over this" simply because the Devils will likely stay put, but be saddled with uncertain ownership, financial troubles, and a minimal budget. Are you really that OK with being a bottom-10 team for the next 10+ years? Are you really that OK with years of frustration and playing 82 games with no real hope of reaching the playoffs or winning anything?

I am a true fan and I'll keep watching, but I definitely will NOT be "OK" with it. It sucks in every respect, and I don't think anyone should really be sugarcoating it or thinking it's not that bad.