Would you sign...

Devs4LIFE

52 members have voted

1. 1. Sign him?

• yes
    • no

The title of the thread speaks for itself, would you sign Olli Jokinen? Before every goes crazy and says how bad of a player he is and how he's a former Ranger and has had a bad past few seasons, hear me out.

When you look at the situation he is in and this team is in Jokinen might be the best player available for us, assuming we don't resign Kovalchuk.

Lets start with contract, Jokinen is coming off of a bad past couple of seasons putting up 57 and 50 points respectively. Although those numbers aren't terrible they also aren't the numbers that someone of his contract and his draft status is expected to get. So this offseason it isn't totally crazy to think that not many teams are going to offer him a big contract, it might be the time in his career for him to take a smaller one year commitment and try and get his value back up again.

Where would he fit on the team though? Well he would probably play 2nd line center with Elias on his LW and someone else, probably Zubrus on his right wing. Jokinen isn't exactly a playmaking center, he is a scoring center and he would be the first big scoring center to play on a line with Elias since Arnott.

So what do you peoples think? Would you sign Jokinen to a 1 year deal for under 3 million?

Edited by Devs4LIFE

Sure why not.... ordering and dealing with getting playoff tickets is a massive pain in the ass anyway, let's avoid the problem with a guy who seems allergic to the playoffs... I love it!!!

I would do it if he was the last option and the young centers didn't pan out. I would prefer they go after Plekanec, Koivu, or Lambardi in that order if they didn't resign Kovy. I think Elias at center again would be a better option though. He missed a good portion of the season and missed matching Jokinen by 2 points.

Edited by Allthegoodnamesweretaken

I would do it if he was the last option and the young centers didn't pan out. I would prefer they go after Plekanec, Koivu, or Lambardi in that order if they didn't resign Kovy. I think Elais at center again would be a better option though. He missed a good portion of the season and missed matching Jokinen by 2 points.

If we get him for only 1 or 2 years for pretty cheap, why not?

If they couldn't get the other 3 guys and the new coach doesn't want to use Elias at center? Sure why not. He would at least be better with faceoffs.

True, I cannot remember a time when we were actually in the top 10 on faceoffs in the league. Many times we were even in the bottom 10 or 5. Holik used to be the only center that we had that was actually decent at it. I also remember the Devils tried a couple of times to get Yanic Perreault just to give us an advantage there. We also got Rheaume mostly cause of this too.

True, I cannot remember a time when we were actually in the top 10 on faceoffs in the league. Many times we were even in the bottom 10 or 5. Holik used to be the only center that we had that was actually decent at it. I also remember the Devils tried a couple of times to get Yanic Perreault just to give us an advantage there. We also got Rheaume mostly cause of this too.

lol. we were top 10 on faceoffs in 2008-09. trolling does take some knowledge.

he's had past years of success but this is like viktor kozlov 2.0 - just no point to it. he's not that good anymore - doesn't play strong on the puck and wouldn't be a viable 2nd line center option.

i mean, if he wants a 1 year $750k deal, perhaps but even then i think it's just not the right mix.

lol. we were top 10 on faceoffs in 2008-09. trolling does take some knowledge.

That was 1 season, and just looking at the other 4 seasons since the lockout we have been either just ok or in the bottom 10.

lol troll? You seem to call everyone who doesn't agree with you or remotely criticize the devils that on this board constantly. I bet you would look great on the Devils Dancers with all of your team spirit. Also that way you can hit people here with your purse instead of calling people trolls on here.

Personally, (his total lack of playoff experience aside) I have always liked what he brings. He is a big center who pretty regularly put up ~70 points throughout most of his career, and on TERRIBLE teams ta'boot. Even looking at the guys last 2 years, he has put up over 50 points on two teams that have been within inches of finishing dead last in GF (IIRC Calgary was last and the Rangers we all know were TERRIBLE offensively *except Gabby*).

So to answer in short, yes, I would absolutely sign him for around 3-3.5 mil for a year or two. If for no other reason than the fact that any of the better options available to us are going to want far more money and for many more years. Getting Olli would give us an option that we could use for a few seasons to give Josefson some time to develop slower on the 3rd line and wouldn't prevent him from moving into the 2nd line spot in a year or two if he is ready. Having Plekanec would keep josefson on the 3rd line for many more seasons. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have 3 good centers, but I would rather give our young guys that are cost controlled for a bunch more years the opportunity to cover our core positions so that we have the option to keep a guy like kovie or sign a big #1 defenseman if/when he becomes available to us.

... so yeah count me in the group of YES

It is kind of his fault that the Devils are out of the Playoffs and that the Flyers are still in. Maybe the Flyers should sign him if they trade one of their big contracts. Maybe if he misses a key shootout in Game 82, it will be good luck for that team. But anycase my answer is a 100% NO.