DEVILS ACQUIRE MARTIN SKOULA

Weekes Head

So you don't like a player because he played on a team that doesn't normally make the playoffs, that made the playoffs when JL was giving him too much ice time?

We have depth at D, We have depth on the 3rd and 4'th lines. Players have to be playing well or they won't get the ice time.

We have an good to above average D. We have an above Average to elite offense(assuming Iyla clicks).

Why such a panic from everyone?

Joe

he was a gigantic minus. worst defenseman on the team other than Hill. then played 26 minutes a game in the playoffs.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he was a gigantic minus. worst defenseman on the team other than Hill. then played 26 minutes a game in the playoffs.

i don't see any evidence he was worse than anyone he got more ice time than besides nick schultz, who apparently must've been injured - hence all the ice time for skoula. carney, hill, and nummelin were all terrible; carney was protected by having the best players on the ice when he was, hill and nummelin faced terrible competition and nummelin was protected even further.

Edited by Triumph

i don't see any evidence he was worse than anyone he got more ice time than besides nick schultz, who apparently must've been injured - hence all the ice time for skoula. carney, hill, and nummelin were all terrible; carney was protected by having the best players on the ice when he was, hill and nummelin faced terrible competition and nummelin was protected even further.

I'm not arguing about Hill, Hill was beyond horrible. still, when you have a +/- that bad in comparison to the rest of the team (same thing we've been saying about Nieds this year), it's not a good sign, as to where that player's defensive play is.

Just looking at the game log from that season, it seems the most damage was done in two months....

December 07 0-1-1, -10, E or worse in every game. worst games were a game against Philly that they lost 3-1, and he was out for all 3, and a -2 in a 3-2 loss to the Sharks.

February 08 0-1-1, -6

the rest of the season, he was E. so, I guess it's a matter of figuring out who was missing those two months.

one thing's for sure, he played with Sean Hill in that game agains the Flyers, because they both went -3.

Edited by maxpower

Love the trade. Great depth to have at the blueline. Typical 'LL deal at the deadline. Skoula's a gritty player, who has experience playing in high profile games. (Stanley Cup, Olympics, IIHF Championships & World Cup tournaments) For a 5th Rounder, it was a no-brainer.

I agree, Its a move we all probably expected in some form or another, but it's what this team needed. They needed some stability on D, and hopefully that's what he will bring.

At first i thought we needed another trade as this one was useless to me but as i read everybody's comment i can now see that this deal is pretty much an interesting deal that a lot off ppl (including me) were underestimating.

This trade means we're gonna see less Mark Fraser. That's all. Not a whole lot to over- or under-estimate.

exactly... and we were only seeing 12 minutes of Fraser a night

Yep. Lou made this team less likely to have to rely on a rookie defenseman come playoff time.

Martin-Salvador

White-Mottau

Greene-Skoula

Salmela

It ain't pretty, but it's prettier than a picture with Fraser in it. If only by a little.

Yep. Lou made this team less likely to have to rely on a rookie defenseman come playoff time.

Martin-Salvador

White-Mottau

Greene-Skoula

Salmela

It ain't pretty, but it's prettier than a picture with Fraser in it. If only by a little.

You really think Greene's gonna drop to the 3rd D pairing? I'd rather see White-Greene, Mottau-Skoula.

You really think Greene's gonna drop to the 3rd D pairing? I'd rather see White-Greene, Mottau-Skoula.

I'd think with the top 6 DIG suggested the ice time will be more evenly split up and all 3 pairs will get 18-22 minutes based on who's going that night anyway... and Jacques like to tinker.... and he will till he finds a way to make the 6 guys out there (or 7 on odd nights) work out

Skoula has been around awhile. He was great in Colorado, but since then kind of average. But Skoula also played with lemaire in Minnesota for awhile. Big defenseman. I think Fraser will sit most of the time for Skoula. If Martin ever comes back, who knows who sits…… but its good to have the depth……………….Lou made a good trade for a veteran defense with size and only gave up a 5th round pick.

For some reason, no matter what pairings get pulled out of a hat on a given night, White and Mottau usually end up together in the end. Your pairings good to me. We'll see what Jacques does.

But, along the lines of what CRASHER was saying, try not to think in terms of 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairings (sort of like how we don't have a 1st or 2nd line, we now have more of a 1A and 1B). The Devils have a first pairing and two second pairings (or two third pairings, depending on how much stock you put in our No. 3 through 7 defensemen). Martin and Salvador will do the heavy lifting while I get the feeling the other pairings will get more of an even split.