Yandle/Summers/4th to NY Duclair, 1st(16), 2nd(15), & J. Moore

ghdi

It's not a great team as is and they overpaid for a guy who is overrated at even strength. If Girardi had been in the deal, as was rumoured, it'd been much better, but that dcorps is gonna be brutal. Sather is the best at making bad deals disappear, but this is bad for NYR.

They are 28-7-2 in their last 37 games.  They are 10-2-2 since Lundqvist went down.  Who do you consider great? Even strength is not an issue for the Rangers, and he is better than Moore at even strength, so that is an improvement.  Their issue has been the power play which is where Yandle is very good.  +/- is such a dumb stat for many reasons. First, it obviously doesn't include PP goals, which count on the scoreboard just as much as even strength goals.  second, players can get a minus or plus when they had nothing to do with the play.  Or, not get a plus or minus if they were involved with the play, but got off the ice before the goal was scored.  Happened to I think Jesper Fast last night.  Made a great play in the corner to keep the play alive, pased the puck, went for a change and the goal was scored after he was on the bench.  Doesn't get a plus, but without his play they definitely don't score.  Even the minus Yandle received last night was bogus.  Had as much to do with the Preds scoring as you and I did.

I loved what I saw out of Duclair and hoped he would be back after the World Juniors.  But, this team is in a win-now mode and you have to give to get.  Besides, it is going to be a late first rounder, so it is a crapshoot.  Not as if they gave up the first or second overall.  Rangers have also been good with the middle and late round picks.  Look at 2013 for example.  They didnt have a first or second rounder, but so far it is has the potential to be one of the best draft years they have every had.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Isles and Tampa Bay disagree. Montreal too this year, maybe. Although I agree Pittsburgh can't get it done against the Rangers.

Montreal doesn't have the depth the Rangers have, not even close.  Tampa is tough to judge.  They beat the Rangers all 3 times they played this year, pretty handily, too.  On the otherhand, They played 3 times in 3 weeks (or something like that) when Tampa was playing the best they played all year and when the Rangers were playing the worst they played all year. But, I think it will be Detroit or Boston coming out of that division (assuming no cross-over of the wild-card teams).  

With Pittsburgh, it is just strange.  For a long time, it didn't matter how well Lundqvist was playing headed into the game, Malkin and Crosby just knew how to score on him.  Never figured out why.  Maybe they were picking up something he was doing that let them know where he was most vulnerable at the time, similar to how a pitcher will sometimes tip his pitches.  Lately though, just hasn't been the case.

Edited by Matteau#32

They are 28-7-2 in their last 37 games.  They are 10-2-2 since Lundqvist went down.  Who do you consider great? Even strength is not an issue for the Rangers, and he is better than Moore at even strength, so that is an improvement.  Their issue has been the power play which is where Yandle is very good.  +/- is such a dumb stat for many reasons. First, it obviously doesn't include PP goals, which count on the scoreboard just as much as even strength goals.  second, players can get a minus or plus when they had nothing to do with the play.  Or, not get a plus or minus if they were involved with the play, but got off the ice before the goal was scored.  Happened to I think Jesper Fast last night.  Made a great play in the corner to keep the play alive, pased the puck, went for a change and the goal was scored after he was on the bench.  Doesn't get a plus, but without his play they definitely don't score.  Even the minus Yandle received last night was bogus.  Had as much to do with the Preds scoring as you and I did.

I loved what I saw out of Duclair and hoped he would be back after the World Juniors.  But, this team is in a win-now mode and you have to give to get.  Besides, it is going to be a late first rounder, so it is a crapshoot.  Not as if they gave up the first or second overall.  Rangers have also been good with the middle and late round picks.  Look at 2013 for example.  They didnt have a first or second rounder, but so far it is has the potential to be one of the best draft years they have every had.

This is a Devils site...you're going to be hard-pressed to find many members who aren't going to look for negatives on the Rangers.  None of us want them to win a Cup.  That's just about every Devil fans' nightmare. 

I obviously hate the Rangers and always want to see them fail, but the fact is they're a very good team playing well, and with their franchise goalie getting into his mid-30s, they're fully adopting a "win RIGHT now" mentality that I can completely understand.  They should enjoy a three-year-or-so window where if they get the breaks and don't suffer any devastating injuries, they have as good of a shot as anyone to (do the thing that I can't bring myself to write).  And like you say, sometimes you've got to pay with some of your future for the present.  Rangers did that big time for '94 and continued to do so to try to get back, and eventually it all came crashing down.  Going for it comes at a cost.  But if it pays off for the Rangers, then many of their fans won't care if, in 4-5 years, a past-his-prime Lundqvist is struggling and the Rangers find themselves where the Devils are now. 

Montreal doesn't have the depth the Rangers have, not even close.  Tampa is tough to judge.  They beat the Rangers all 3 times they played this year, pretty handily, too.  On the otherhand, They played 3 times in 3 weeks (or something like that) when Tampa was playing the best they played all year and when the Rangers were playing the worst they played all year. But, I think it will be Detroit or Boston coming out of that division (assuming no cross-over of the wild-card teams).  

With Pittsburgh, it is just strange.  For a long time, it didn't matter how well Lundqvist was playing headed into the game, Malkin and Crosby just knew how to score on him.  Never figured out why.  Maybe they were picking up something he was doing that let them know where he was most vulnerable at the time, similar to how a pitcher will sometimes tip his pitches.  Lately though, just hasn't been the case.

I agree with you about Montreal, but like the Rangers and Lundqvist, Carey Price can steal that team a playoff run. He is just out of this world this season. But I agree, the depth's not there, which is why I added the "maybe". They could maybe beat the Rangers in a round, but it'd be tough, and I'd say it's 40/60 (Rangers being the 60). 

As for Penguins, I have no faith in them at all. I don't really know what it is to be honest. But I think the Devils could even beat them in a 7 game series. They're one of the big teams we've always beaten in the past 5 years. I could see the Rangers sweeping them, honestly.

Edited by DJ Eco

I agree with you about Montreal, but like the Rangers and Lundqvist, Carey Price can steal that team a playoff run. He is just out of this world this season. But I agree, the depth's not there, which is why I added the "maybe". They could maybe beat the Rangers in a round, but it'd be tough, and I'd say it's 40/60 (Rangers being the 60). 

As for Penguins, I have no faith in them at all. I don't really know what it is to be honest. But I think the Devils could even beat them in a 7 game series. They're one of the big teams we've always beaten in the past 5 years. I could see the Rangers sweeping them, honestly.

Funny how it works out sometimes.  The parallels between the Jagr/Lemieux and Crosby/Malkin days are striking.  Back to back Finals appearances, with two wins for Mario and Jagr and one win for Crosby and Malkin.  The feeling that they're always a threat to win another, partially because of the big names.

But here's how it went for the rest of the Jagr/Lemieux era and the Crosby/Malkin era (still ongoing obviously) after the two consecutive Cup appearances: 

Jagr/Lemieux:

92-93  out in second round

93-94  out in first round (Lemieux played in just 22 regular season games)

95  out in second round (Lemieux missed the whole season)

95-96  out in the second round

96-97  out in the first round

00-01  out in the conference finals in 5 (43 GP for Mario)

Crosby/Malkin:

09-10  out in second round

10-11  out in first round (41 GP for Crosby, 43 GP for Malkin)

11-12  out in first round (22 GP for Crosby)

12-13  out in conference finals in 4

13-14  out in second round

Doesn't always go according to plan, for a number of reasons.  Just shows how damned hard it is to win championships, even with two of the best players in the world on your team.