A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

DEV1LDR1VER

That being said, even though Colin makes strong points on why it's good for the Devil organization for fans to go flocking back the minute the Devils are back on the ice, I can't do it. Not right away. I'm just too annoyed about all of it. Just about everyone involved has come off as so unlikable and unsympathetic, even though if I have to pick a side, I'm going with the players. But it's like I've said in a previous post...after seeing news story after news story about people who lost absolutely everything due to Hurricane Sandy, this lockout nonsense has a way of seeming a lot less significant, in the grand scheme.

Me not wanting to be a part of the NHL for a while has nothing to do with wanting to stick it to anyone...they've just sapped my enthusiasm for the game, my desire to go watch the product, which I didn't think was possible until this season, as I came sprinting back in '95 and '05. The fact is, if someone gave me freebies to the first game of the season, I wouldn't want to go...I wouldn't enjoy the experience, and it will be a while before I feel differently...how long, I don't know. If anything, once I start to thaw, I wouldn't mind watching some games in the local Newark restaurants and bars...support those businesses that did absolutely nothing to deserve the hand they've been dealt.

After the shenanigans of the last three days I'm pretty much getting to this point. Just two days ago I was excited for Opening Night but now I'm at a point where I'm contemplating just selling my season tickets and profiting until I'm good and ready to come back. If they're going to constantly hit us over the head with the 'business', fine...then I'll also treat it like a business for a while too.

I probably will go to Opening Night - assuming there is one - just to see other people I haven't seen since the lockout started but after this charade it'll take me a while to care again, too. And I definitely won't be going to the same percentage of games this regular season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

After the shenanigans of the last three days I'm pretty much getting to this point. Just two days ago I was excited for Opening Night but now I'm at a point where I'm contemplating just selling my season tickets and profiting until I'm good and ready to come back. If they're going to constantly hit us over the head with the 'business', fine...then I'll also treat it like a business for a while too.

I probably will go to Opening Night - assuming there is one - just to see other people I haven't seen since the lockout started but after this charade it'll take me a while to care again, too. And I definitely won't be going to the same percentage of games this regular season.

I'm right there with you. My interest in supporting any of these clowns has diminished to basically zero. It's going to take me a long time to get back into it whenever it comes back.

That logic makes no sense. The Devils organization has nothing to do with the lockout...why punish them (and yourself) because a select few are being stubborn enough to drag this out?

I just don't understand the fans who say they're "giving up" or "not a hockey fan anymore" or they "lose interest" after a work stoppage. Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

disagree 100%!! the ONLY way my voice can be heard is by not going or not buying or whatever I choose to do.. after 94 I found something else to occupy my time during sept & October & I was finaished w/ baseball..

If they cancel the NHL season you can bet my interest is going to lessen, love th devils, but no way I'm going back tothe arena, even if I get free tix. I'll probably watch the games on TV, but no merchandise purchaes either.

2 seasons in 6 years is CRAZY/./// I truly hope spmepne tries to start a new league.///

I know not everyone feels the way we do, but more and more have to be heading that way on a daily basis.

The Triumphs of the world can talk about every last in and out of what's going on all they want, and of course there's always much more going on than two parties coming across as being unsympathetic, stubborn, spoiled and annoying, but the fact is most fans don't want to know all of the ins and outs of CBA negotiations...most fans have plenty on their plates already in their daily lives and don't want to be bothered with the business side of it...they want their game back, and they're getting sick of seeing it taken away from them with seemingly no regard for them or the game itself. Yes, it's a simplistic way of thinking, but for most fans, NHL hockey is supposed to be a simple and entertaining diversion.

Satans Hockey said it well...it's not about who's technically right or wrong anymore...in a growing number of fans' eyes, it's about a bunch of millionaire and billionaire clowns acting like squabbling infants.

I know not everyone feels the way we do, but more and more have to be heading that way on a daily basis.

The Triumphs of the world can talk about every last in and out of what's going on all they want, and of course there's always much more going on than two parties coming across as being unsympathetic, stubborn, spoiled and annoying, but the fact is most fans don't want to know all of the ins and outs of CBA negotiations...most fans have plenty on their plates already in their daily lives and don't want to be bothered with the business side of it...they want their game back, and they're getting sick of seeing it taken away from them with seemingly no regard for them or the game itself. Yes, it's a simplistic way of thinking, but for most fans, NHL hockey is supposed to be a simple and entertaining diversion.

Satans Hockey said it well...it's not about who's technically right or wrong anymore...in a growing number of fans' eyes, it's about a bunch of millionaire and billionaire clowns acting like squabbling infants.

Fan retribution this time or any time around won't prevent another lockout or stop the "squabbling". There's not a lockout to spite the fans. The players and owners are well aware that lockouts are bad for their bottom-lines and that they turn off the fanbase. So far as millionaires versus billionaires, each side feels they deserve a bigger share of the pot than the other believes. That's all it is. If I'm an owner, I'm doing what's in my best interest, and if I'm a player, I'm doing the same.

I'm not saying that one should or should not go to games when things eventually get started again. Whatever choice you make though will have nothing to do with there being or not being another lockout.

Fan retribution this time or any time around won't prevent another lockout or stop the "squabbling". There's not a lockout to spite the fans. The players and owners are well aware that lockouts are bad for their bottom-lines and that they turn off the fanbase. So far as millionaires versus billionaires, each side feels they deserve a bigger share of the pot than the other believes. That's all it is. If I'm an owner, I'm doing what's in my best interest, and if I'm a player, I'm doing the same.

I'm not saying that one should or should not go to games when things eventually get started again. Whatever choice you make though will have nothing to do with there being or not being another lockout.

All well and good...I'm talking about how some fans are seeing it. Some of them have reached the "most of you owners and players are making phenomenal money, what the hell more do you want?!" stage of all of this. Obviously there's a lot more to it than that, and of course the lockout isn't to spite the fans...but I'm sure there's plenty of fans who feels like the NHL doesn't give a damn about them, and takes their loyalty for granted.

All well and good...I'm talking about how some fans are seeing it. Some of them have reached the "most of you owners and players are making phenomenal money, what the hell more do you want?!" stage of all of this. Obviously there's a lot more to it than that, and of course the lockout isn't to spite the fans...but I'm sure there's plenty of fans who feels like the NHL doesn't give a damn about them, and takes their loyalty for granted.

True. It's behind the espn paywall, but they got a quote from a sports economics professor, who said, pretty convincingly in my mind, that professional sports is kind of like an addiction, and that work stoppages act as something akin to detox. When you've gone without it for a while, you get used to life without it and lose interest. That's a pretty good summary of how I feel about the whole thing. And frankly, there's part of me that gets a little satisfaction about the Wild and Rangers having to wait to unveil their shiny new toys.

I am extremely annoyed with the NHL, but I love the sport of hockey and always will...I am getting used to life without NHL hockey though (again). But I am jonesing hard for hockey...I do miss it terribly. I know the Titans are affiliated with the Flyers, but as long as the NHL isn't playing any games, I'm leaning towards checking them out sooner than later.

I said it before and I will say it again since 95 , 2004, and now, this is when I feel like a die hard hockey fan... Hockey fans ,, us Older Devils fans have dealt with so much the early 80's etc then the cups I love this team! Right now I am made as hell at the players the owners for draging a sport I love so much through the mud. But come tomorrow I will still be a Die Hard Fan!

Fan retribution this time or any time around won't prevent another lockout or stop the "squabbling".

Then why did baseball have eight work stoppages in two decades, then after the '94-95 strike when attendance plummetted 20% (and stayed deflated for years, before the steroid HR race brought some of the fans back) all of a sudden baseball hasn't had a work stoppage since then? They got scared straight.

Why is hockey not playing again after '04-05? Because the fans came back so they can do it again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I said it before and I will say it again since 95 , 2004, and now, this is when I feel like a die hard hockey fan... Hockey fans ,, us Older Devils fans have dealt with so much the early 80's etc then the cups I love this team! Right now I am made as hell at the players the owners for draging a sport I love so much through the mud. But come tomorrow I will still be a Die Hard Fan!

Nobody's doubting root for the Devils...but this is bigger than the Devils right now. They may not be THE hard-liners in this lockout (thank god for that) but make no mistake, they're still tacitly complicit by going along with it.

I'm not even saying I'm going to punish the league...I pretty much 'can't' this year anyway even if I wanted to since I already bought season tickets well in advance of this mess. And I'm sure by next year I'll be back to normal, assuming we even have a season this year. I'm just saying if they're going to waste our time haggling over 'business' then I'll start treating it like a 'business' for a while too since I'm not as emotionally into the start of the season anymore as I was last week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know movements like this will probably be ridiculed and not really affect the NHL or the players but I like it anyway. Just Drop It!: http://vimeo.com/55149830

Here is the facebook page you can like if you wish to take the pledge.

The Pledge: I pledge that for every game you take from me after December 21st I will refrain from attending any games, watching games on TV, and from buying any merchandise for the equivalent number of games after the lockout ends. You cancel one game…I’ll take one from you. You take 20 from me… I’ll skip the next 20….

Prior to this, I was still going to watch the games on tv but the longer this goes on the more sick I feel about it and realize how much more I can enjoy my time working on music or watching the Nets. I'm fine with boycotting all the games on tv for every game they take from us after 12/21. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, but lets keep it civil.

A time-based protest is futile at this point. It'll either be settled in mid-January, or it won't and the league will cease to exist anyway, at least as one of the 'major' sports. And that's even if the players don't decertify after that point and destroy the league entirely in court.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know movements like this will probably be ridiculed and not really affect the NHL or the players but I like it anyway. Just Drop It!: http://vimeo.com/55149830

Prior to this, I was still going to watch the games on tv but the longer this goes on the more sick I feel about it and realize how much more I can enjoy my time working on music or watching the Nets. I'm fine with boycotting all the games on tv for every game they take from us after 12/21. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, but lets keep it civil.

I like it.

It's very easy to do, and it's not so severe that it will bankrupt the Devils.

An empty or near-empty arena for a few games, with little to no Internet merchandise sales on those same days, I think that would be something big enough to make the league stand up and take notice.

I will pledge to do that. Count me in.

Not that the idea is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but at least it is SOMETHING.

No one likes to lose money, not even multimillionaire owners. It is one thing for the owners themselves to willingly choose to cancel games and lose their own money, but it's another thing for someone else (the fans) to cause them to lose money.

There are thousands of fans all over the U.S./Canada griping about the canceled games. Well this is a chance to do SOMETHING about it. Of course, for the protest to be the least bit effective, there would need to be more than just a few hundred fans participating in the pledge.

Organizing and implementing a protest is no easy task, for sure. It's MUCH easier to criticize it, saying it will never work or won't make a difference. I can admire people for making the effort.

Not to be a downer but the NHL has been peacefully losing 18millions A DAY for awhile... you guys really think its gonna hurt them and make them think twice if a few hundreds of folks is not buying a jersey or a hat? lol cmon now

As I said before I don't think its going to hurt them or even be noticed - its not about that. Its just a symbolic gesture to show how pissed some of us are. Its really all we can do at this point and if it helps people get some anger/frustration out then its not that bad of an idea.

Then why did baseball have eight work stoppages in two decades, then after the '94-95 strike when attendance plummetted 20% (and stayed deflated for years, before the steroid HR race brought some of the fans back) all of a sudden baseball hasn't had a work stoppage since then? They got scared straight.

Why is hockey not playing again after '04-05? Because the fans came back so they can do it again.

Baseball is the anomaly, especially because 94-95 was a strike and not a lockout. Baseball owners also learned to live without a salary cap, which cannot happen in hockey. There are enough hockey teams that will lose money without tight labor controls that enough owners are willing to lose games for a better labor deal, although, admittedly, that situation isn't as pronounced as it was during the last lockout.

Watching the Nets?? You want civility after saying that?! :P

Fan retribution this time or any time around won't prevent another lockout or stop the "squabbling".... I'm not saying that one should or should not go to games when things eventually get started again. Whatever choice you make though will have nothing to do with there being or not being another lockout.

I can tell you're a true Devils fan based on how similar you "may or may not" talk to Lou in his pressers haha..

Edited by DJ Eco

I like it.

It's very easy to do, and it's not so severe that it will bankrupt the Devils.

An empty or near-empty arena for a few games, with little to no Internet merchandise sales on those same days, I think that would be something big enough to make the league stand up and take notice.

I will pledge to do that. Count me in.

heres my take on internet protest :" they usually don't work" and they dont work because they get very little attention unless you get like 500,000 signatures on a petition, on the other hand a small scale in person protest like 50/100 people will get the media attention, also there is a change of "confrontation"( exchange of words ) between the protesters and the target of the action( Fehr & Garry )

In Brazil when a Major soccer team gets relegate to a Minor Division** their arch rival usually holds an Awake for the team on the public street.

Like this time when my soccer tema got relegate :urg: :urg:

[/media

So on that note it would be nice for a group o hockey fans ( Devils,Rangers,Islanders etc..) get together on the corner of the NHL Building and celebrate a ecumenical celebration for the "hockey gods" in order to restore the "peace" btw NHL/NHLPA We could came up with a silly name like "Pray for the end of the Lockout"

After the protest we could do a pub-crawl.. who said protest should be all serious-business. Talking about clowning around we could also protest dressing up as clowns in fron of their building...

anyhow that my idea of protesting

**(think like this if a team finishes in the lower four spot the next season the team will play on the AHL)

So on that note it would be nice for a group o hockey fans ( Devils,Rangers,Islanders etc..) get together on the corner of the NHL Building and celebrate a ecumenical celebration for the "hockey gods" in order to restore the "peace" btw NHL/NHLPA We could came up with a silly name like "Pray for the end of the Lockout"

After the protest we could do a pub-crawl.. who said protest should be all serious-business. Talking about clowning around we could also protest dressing up as clowns in fron of their building...

anyhow that my idea of protesting

A protest in front of NHL Headquarters? I like that idea too! Sort of like "Occupy the NHL." I'm surprised no one has tried that yet.

Oh wait, I just came across this guy (ha-haa):

Maybe someone needs to do it again but spread the word first.