Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Reflecting on the Alfie to Detroit drama, it really makes you appreciate guys like Elias and Brodeur that much more. I mean, I know they've won a lot with New Jersey already, so it's not like they've been chasing the championship unsuccessfully (see: Iginla, Jarome; Alfredsson; a ton of other guys) but with the team missing the playoffs this year and being 10 years away from its last championship, what could possibly stop Patrik from trying to get a last shot or two at the Cup with some contender? Also, remember Marty actually became a UFA last year. So, vets staying to finish their career with one team is never so obvious. I'm so glad they're both Devils for life.

Matt Cooke to the Wild

Good, that a$$hole will fit right in.

Reflecting on the Alfie to Detroit drama, it really makes you appreciate guys like Elias and Brodeur that much more. I mean, I know they've won a lot with New Jersey already, so it's not like they've been chasing the championship unsuccessfully (see: Iginla, Jarome; Alfredsson; a ton of other guys) but with the team missing the playoffs this year and being 10 years away from its last championship, what could possibly stop Patrik from trying to get a last shot or two at the Cup with some contender? Also, remember Marty actually became a UFA last year. So, vets staying to finish their career with one team is never so obvious. I'm so glad they're both Devils for life.

For sure a testament to the character of the players but additionally to that of Lou Lamoriello as well - in drafting and retaining them.

Well said Revan.

Even more telling: They did not go after Alfredsson until Elias officially signed with NJ. Detroit really wanted Patty which is why the signing was delayed.

Ryder, who split time with two clubs last season projected 61 points in an 82 game season.

Clowe (who had an off-year) projected only 2 points less than Clarkson (39) Most years he will be around 45-50 points.

Olesz is a question mark. Can he get back to the NHL form where he was contributing 25-30 points? If he can that would make us a hell of a team I think.

Regardless we are a MUCH better team now. Sounds like some Dman will get moved too. So far this is shaping up to be a fun season.

I'm thinking:

. Clowe with Kovy

. Ryder with Elias and most likely Zajac

. And Olesz on the third with probably Henrique and Zubrus

Think those combos compliment each other.

And I'm hoping JJ gets that 4th line center spot.

Per RenLavoieRDS

Jonathan Bernier sign with Maple Leafs. 2 years / $5.8M #

thats some big numbers for a guy who's never been a #1

What's Reimer getting right now? I can't imagine he's feeling too good while the team is giving Bernier almost starter money.

Edited by ATLL765

What's Reimer getting right now? I can't imagine he's feeling too good while the team is giving Bernier almost starter money.

if Reimer has any bricks left in him after that whole thing, he certainly sh!t the last few when he heard about this signing.

he's making 1.8m per season

Nice to see us getting good players when they're good. So tired of seeing us develop players and when they get good...they become free agents, want too much money and go off to play for someone else. In rare cases we actually develop and keep good players long term (Marty, Elias). If we can't keep guys around as franchise players, at least bring in some guys already developed.