Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another four-hour nine-inning game, this is getting ridiculous.

And Rubin's been in rare form lately:

Because it's about winning 90 games this year. RT @tomacattack: Why hit for d'Arnaud there? I'd rather watch the "top prospect" than Abreu

ha. You know at that point I had no issue with Abreu being up. d'Arnaud, not a huge sample but he's done sh!t so far closing in on 200 career ab's. Plus he had an awful passed ball today and another one that went right over his mitt to the backstop. He'll get more opportunities but I thought he had some pop in his bat and could at least hit around .250. He's been a dead spot. He stands too far off the plate and misses too many hittable pitches.

Chokesworth serves up a room service meatball to Howard for the game winning RBI. The Phillies, unlike the Mets are actually capable of hitting BP fastballs. Imagine that. Mets again get runners on, less than two outs...can't even get a damn sac fly.

This team doesn't look like it's going to win a game for a very very long time. Yankees may sweep us. I think if Tanaka pitches that series we may end up K'ing 20 times and getting no hit

Edited by '7'

And now going on 1-8 since the infamous letter?  Reminds me of when the Knicks extended Isiah and upped ticket prices on the same day they finally squeezed into the playoffs as an eight seed.  Or they were leading in the race for the eighth seed, I don't remember if they actually made the playoffs under Isiah.

This is like a Pete DeBoer stretch, find new and excruciating ways to lose tight games every day.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And now going on 1-8 since the infamous letter?  Reminds me of when the Knicks extended Isiah and upped ticket prices on the same day they finally squeezed into the playoffs as an eight seed.  Or they were leading in the race for the eighth seed, I don't remember if they actually made the playoffs under Isiah.

This is like a Pete DeBoer stretch, find new and excruciating ways to lose tight games every day.

while I wouldn't call a May game to the Phillies excruciating, what bugs me is just the lack of simple execution, poor choices at the plate, poor managerial decisions (at 3-1 you really didn't need Young still bunting with Adams struggling to throw strikes, especially since strike 1 was a gift that was 2cm off the ground) still in a big spot we're relying on Eric Campbell, Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Rice. The team itself has no pop and strikes out a ton.

just incompetence all around. And no consequences. 8 of 9 and sinking like a stone

Sandy has done a good job at maintaining a good starting staff. Much of it wasn't acquired on his watch though. He has yet to put together an even average pen or an even average lineup. Even with a small market payroll...other teams make it work and stay competitive. Time and time again (nmig points it out) a useful player that has been released we miss out on, we focus in on the wrong free agents. Playing guys in positions they can't play, Too much asleep at the switch behavior. It's almost time for him to go because the game has passed him by. He's too inattentive to this teams needs.

Edited by '7'

So who's next week's closer, Mejia?  They've already greased the skids for bumping him from the rotation.

I'd rather he be left as a starter. But we're running out of options and at least he's willing and able to do it. Sandy, limited budget and all, gets an F with Valverde and an F with Farnsworth. And last year in trading Byrd he didn't wind up with a closer as Vic Black won't be the answer. And they were too cheap to sign Hanrahan. And what happened to the mystery money we offered Balfour?

Edited by '7'

while I wouldn't call a May game to the Phillies excruciating, what bugs me is just the lack of simple execution, poor choices at the plate, poor managerial decisions (at 3-1 you really didn't need Young still bunting with Adams struggling to throw strikes, especially since strike 1 was a gift that was 2cm off the ground) still in a big spot we're relying on Eric Campbell, Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Rice. The team itself has no pop and strikes out a ton.

just incompetence all around. And no consequences. 8 of 9 and sinking like a stone

Sandy has done a good job at maintaining a good starting staff. Much of it wasn't acquired on his watch though. He has yet to put together an even average pen or an even average lineup. Even with a small market payroll...other teams make it work and stay competitive. Time and time again (nmig points it out) a useful player that has been released we miss out on, we focus in on the wrong free agents. Playing guys in positions they can't play, Too much asleep at the switch behavior. It's almost time for him to go because the game has passed him by. He's too inattentive to this teams needs.

You lost me at "Sandy has done a good job..."

Sandy has literally done NOTHING since coming here.  I've already pointed it out, but Wheeler kind of fell into his lap...Beltran was having a good year and was still a nice name who clearly had value...Sandy was going to get something good back for him (and Zack clearly had warts back then that he still has now).  Sandy's lucky as hell that Dickey happened to have a Cy Young year out of nowhere, which spiked his value just long enough for him to make a nice deal.  Sandy did a nice job getting Syndergaard in that trade.

But other than that...he's been one of the worst GMs in baseball.  Sure, if you sign enough bargain-types, maybe you get lucky with a Byrd.  But for the most part, with guys like that, you're going to get what you pay for, and that's what's happened, especially in the bullpen.  We've already discussed ad nauseum the guys who should've been shown the door, but are somehow STILL getting opportunities even though we know there's not much there.  And of course, there's Granderson, who Sandy locked in on despite the fact there was a mountain of evidence to suggest that, at the very least, he wouldn't come close to being what they needed. 

I want him fired mostly because I don't see a guy with any fight or spunk...I just see a loser who has passively become part of the losing culture around here, and isn't ever going to snap out of it.  As long as he's the GM, there's no hope.

--------------------------------------------------

Wright is on an 8-game hitting streak, and suddenly getting extra-base hits again (even though they're mostly doubles).  Still, the OB+SLG is now up to .741.  His year is starting to normalize at least.

Ike has propelled his BA from .188 to .265 in the space of four games (he went 9-for-14 over the four games).  His numbers as a Pirate suddenly look pretty good (.288 BA, .382 OB%, ,806 OB+SLG).  Small samples of course, and as much as I would've preferred Ike over Doofus, it will be a while before we can really say if the Mets kept the right guy.

Snydergaard gave up 8 hits and 4 ER in his last outing, but didn't walk anyone and struck out 10.

Montero walked 3 in his last start (5.1 IP), but didn't allow a hit or a run.  Though his overall numbers look pretty good (1.15 WHIP), he's allowed 15 BB is his last 24.1 IP, which remains extremely un-Montero like. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets really playing like a #90Win team, eh Sandy?

Who are some decent GM candidates?  I am convinced this team is going nowhere with Sandy. 

As much as we hope, he ain't going anywhere, unfortunately, even with a 70-something win year. They'll give him a pass because of no Harvey and the pitching prospects coming up. After 2015 though, all bets are off.

Edited by nmigliore

You know and I know 2015 under Sandy will be another blah, non-creative offseason, followed by an "if" list (If Duda can drive in 90+ runs, if Parnell and Harvey are healthy, if the kids contribute, etc).  But yeah, I agree, we're stuck with Sandy.  Omar had a LOT of warts, and I would never want him back, for a variety of reasons, but at least that guy was TRYING.     

Great job Curtis.  Great job signing him Sandy.  You deserve each other.

Granderson is such fvcking ass.

Amazing.. The GM who fears contracts to free agents the most hands 4 years to a 33 year old outfielder who had his share of warning flags.

Edited by nmigliore

Mets now a spectacularly bad 3-36 with RISP as Curtis Granderson K's with men on 2nd and 3rd and 2 out

Granderson now below .185

I'm telling you this guy is barely a major leaguer now. It's very close to retirement time for Granderson with how slow his bat has gotten. I don't see him finishing the year at over .200. And I doubt he makes it to 15 hrs and 60 rbi. And it will be even worse next year as he ages

hang 'em up Curtis

Edited by '7'

Sandy should be canned for Granderson alone.  I can't believe we have to go through Jason Bay all over again.  Awful awful awful. 

Same old David.  Scares no one in the big spot.

never has and never will, still he's the only thing we've got that's even close to an above average everyday player, so I feel bad nowadays dumping on him when he's surrounded by sh!t. He puts a lot of pressure on himself. I've learned to accept that he's not Chipper Jones, Utley, Howard, or Rollins level in a big spot.

Also that ball Duda smoke in the bottom of the 10th needs to be a HR. The well in the Mo's zone was lessened...but it needs to be gone for good

Edited by '7'

Hear ya 7, though Wright looked like he might be that kind of player earlier in his career.  Problem is the Mets treat him as though he is that kind of player.  He's a complementary hitter now, but he's being asked to be more than that.  Not really fair to anyone, in that he's only going to disappoint being asked to be more than he is.  But yeah, I've never really disputed that he's the Mets' best everyday player.   

Hear ya 7, though Wright looked like he might be that kind of player earlier in his career.  Problem is the Mets treat him as though he is that kind of player.  He's a complementary hitter now, but he's being asked to be more than that.  Not really fair to anyone, in that he's only going to disappoint being asked to be more than he is.  But yeah, I've never really disputed that he's the Mets' best everyday player.   

I thought so too earlier in his career. Trouble is that was a different era, stadium, and lineup. Wright knew back then he was part of a monster lineup...he doesn't come through? No big deal somebody behind me to pick me up. I mostly blame the Mets for what he's become (and what he's become is not all that bad, still a pretty damn good player, but not the 30 hr 110 rbi beast he should be)

Wright is still definitely pretty good/good, sometimes very good.  And yes, the Mets haven't helped him out much. 

Nice win today...gotta take 'em where you can get 'em right now. 

At least they salvaged one, but man, what an ugly stretch since late April. I can't imagine it getting worse, but it won't get any better with the Yankees up for 4 followed by a trip to Washington and then the Dodgers back home for 3.

Edited by nmigliore

At least they salvaged one, but man, what an ugly stretch. Probably going to get worse with the Yankees up for 4 following by a trip to Washington and then the Dodgers back home for 3.

Watch them somehow go a few games over .500 now, lol.

And it's a shame Murph will probably never be consistent.  Same ol' Murph right now...so locked in, but we know that the 4-for-40-type numbers-killing invisibility stretch for him (mostly because hits are the only way he gets on base) is always right around the corner.  If he could somehow put up the numbers he's putting up right now over a full season, you could live with him.  Just sucks that the guy has to hit .320 to truly be valuable...and that it's always red-hot or ice-cold with him. 

Sandy should be canned for Granderson alone.  I can't believe we have to go through Jason Bay all over again.  Awful awful awful. 

Honestly I think I was in favor of the Granderson move but more because it was nice they were spending some money (little did I know we'd still be in the bottom third in payroll, we'd be a bottom five payroll team probably without Granderson) and it was good in theory they at least got a professional outfielder more than having actual belief that it would work out.  I think if we weren't starving for someone, anyone to be an upgrade in the outfield we would have been a lot more worried off the hop.  I got autodrafted Granderson in an 18-team fantasy league, thank goodness I flipped him and Alexei Ramirez for Leonys Martin and Huston Street before the season.  Deep down I did think Granderson had disaster potential though I don't think even I thought it could get 'this' bad.

Haven't seen a single inning in full yet this year, but the play by play here paints a pretty damn good picture. Some things never change

It's still a 70-79 win team, with the same ol' flaws, as Sandy didn't do very much to blow out some of the 2013 deadwood.  Not sure if you're aware of the letter fiasco, but when the Mets got off to a 15-11 start (all the numbers pointed to a downturn, so it's not a surprise they've gone 2-8 since), the franchise sent out a letter that basically called out the fans for not immediately buying in and showing up in droves to the ballpark.  Call it the latest idiotic episode of cluelessness by your New York Mets.  They're always on the lookout for fresh ways to embarrass themselves.

Honestly I think I was in favor of the Granderson move but more because it was nice they were spending some money (little did I know we'd still be in the bottom third in payroll, we'd be a bottom five payroll team probably without Granderson) and it was good in theory they at least got a professional outfielder more than having actual belief that it would work out.  I think if we weren't starving for someone, anyone to be an upgrade in the outfield we would have been a lot more worried off the hop.  I got autodrafted Granderson in an 18-team fantasy league, thank goodness I flipped him and Alexei Ramirez for Leonys Martin and Huston Street before the season.  Deep down I did think Granderson had disaster potential though I don't think even I thought it could get 'this' bad.

The numbers were definitely there that pointed to a potential disaster scenario.  I think we all knew it, but were hoping for a pleasant surprise.  What's aggravating that, if we all could see that this was likely to go horribly wrong, why the fvck couldn't Sandy and his band of geniuses see it?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976