Red Bulls have won the Supporter's Shield!

DJ Eco

I know there's a somewhat related thread about the Red Bulls here but last night was a huge deal and I think it deserves its own congratulatory thread; I know a lot of Devils fans who also follow RBNY so I figured I'd post it. It was a very special night for me and tons of people in the area who've been waiting almost two decades for a moment like this.

I'll never forget going to the first meet-and-greet back in 1996 to meet the NY/NJ Metrostars at Giants Stadium, including players like Tony Meola and Tab Ramos, who were already heroes to me and thousands in the local area after the 1994 World Cup. After years of going to games, and the attendance at Giants Stadium dwindling, along with our performance, I never ever thought we'd see a moment like we witnessed last night.

The character of a team, under the gun to win this must-win game, to be down 1-0 in the first period and finish the game 5-2, it was really something remarkable.

Now the real test begins. Even if some of you guys aren't big soccer fans, I suggest you pick up some tickets to the playoff games as they contend for the MLS Cup. The atmosphere really can't be beat, and if you haven't been to Red Bull Arena yet, you really need to check it out. I've never seen an MLS team with this much chemistry and passion; we've had more stacked rosters before but none that ever came close to clicking with each other like this year's, I feel something special in the air and this might be our year to win the Cup. Hope you guys will considering checking it out firsthand :)

BXqkGTkCMAAiMEM.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares? 

First off soccer is pathetic with the lack of contact, diving and crying. Second these clowns are cutting commercials claiming to play in NY when they play and live in NJ.

Soccer can take its stupid scarves and sing song garbage and get lost

Who cares? 

First off soccer is pathetic with the lack of contact, diving and crying. Second these clowns are cutting commercials claiming to play in NY when they play and live in NJ.

Pretty much my sentiments...well said

Who cares?

Soccer is my second favorite sport after hockey. However you are right that it is full of cryers and divers and that is what has been preventing me from jumping into it with both feet like I have with hockey.

Commercial doesnt bother me. If someone on the Jets said the same thing I doubt you would have an issue.

I was Prem and La Liga til this year, but I got into the Red Bulls big time. They're fun to watch, the tix are cheap, and this team is special. The players at this point aren't that far behind Europe in terms of ability, and this group of guys is great.

Ok, how much would it run me for two upper level tickets around the 50 yard line (or center line or whatever they call it)? 100 bucks? What's the hit for parking? My 12 year old has jersies from Messi, Ibrahimovic, Neymar, and half a dozen others. He'd love to see a game in person and I would love to surprise him :)

Edited by jim777

Who cares? 

Says a dude with a Mets and Jets logo in his signature? That's kind of hypocritical considering the Jets do the EXACT same thing as the Red Bull with playing in NJ and calling themselves NY, and baseball is the softest sport with much less contact than soccer.

And for the record, I refuse to support the Red Bull because of NY in their name, but I also refuse to sport the Giants, Jets, or any local baseball team because of the same reason. I guess that what happens when you put Hockey and the Devils above all else. Never understood how some of you guys can root for teams amongst the overlapping Rangers or Flyers fan bases but that's your prerogative. 

I am also disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm for the German Bundesliga in this thread, which in my opinion is the most exciting, balanced league with (arguably) the two best teams in the world - Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich. Watching those teams play is just pure brilliance.

It fascinates me when hockey fans crap on soccer. I’m sure you've never heard the same sentiment towards the NHL

Hockey fans crap on a ton of sports just like fans of any other sport. Don't get why any sports fans rip other sports. You like some, you don't like others, buy why sh!t on any?

But that's expected in this thread when anyone posts a soccer post in a hockey forum. For the OP, there is a sports forum to talk about the Red Bulls.

Says a dude with a Mets and Jets logo in his signature? That's kind of hypocritical considering the Jets do the EXACT same thing as the Red Bull with playing in NJ and calling themselves NY, and baseball is the softest sport with much less contact than soccer.

And for the record, I refuse to support the Red Bull because of NY in their name, but I also refuse to sport the Giants, Jets, or any local baseball team because of the same reason. I guess that what happens when you put Hockey and the Devils above all else. Never understood how some of you guys can root for teams amongst the overlapping Rangers or Flyers fan bases but that's your prerogative. 

I am also disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm for the German Bundesliga in this thread, which in my opinion is the most exciting, balanced league with (arguably) the two best teams in the world - Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich. Watching those teams play is just pure brilliance

Think this debate is going to end? Wait until the Super Bowl and NY this and NY that. Count how many times you'll actually hear East Rutherford, NJ or anything about the state. You'll think Met Life Stadium is in Manhattan.

I've actually grown to enjoy soccer..saw a game in Barcelona last year and it was something special.

That being said, way too many divers.  But how anyone can dismiss soccer as a 'soft' sport while simultaneously supporting baseball is hilariously ironic.

Not a RBNY fan but I watched most of the games this year. Really exciting year and beyond overdue for their supporters. It was great to see Mike Petke raise the shield and speak to the crowd. Congrats to RBNY and their fans! If any fans in MLS deserve this, it's them.

Crazy that the 2014-15 CONCACAF Champions League will include the Red Bulls and DC United (who were horrendous this year). Be interesting to see what other 2 American MLS clubs make it. Really looking forward to the MLS playoffs.

premier league & la liga  :beerbang:

mls  :puke:

Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football

MLS has improved immensely over the years. It will never be on the same level as the big European leagues, but it has some talent and is a quality product. It probably had the best parity of any league in the world. I follow the EPL, which is more wide open than usual this year, but La Liga is pretty boring. For pretty much a decade you can predict what 2 clubs will finish top 2 in La Liga. The quality of play may be better but it's not as exciting to me. MLS is really coming into it's own and I look forward to seeing what it does in the future.

I understand they have a you suck chant thats worse than ours

The league and NY Red Bulls did a good cop/bad cop thing. First they offered to pay each supporters club $500 a game not to chant "YOU SUCK a$$holE!" after every goal kick. Many people stopped doing it but many didn't, so eventually they sent a letter to each group threatening to take away some of their privileges (mainly, not let them bring in flags and smoke bombs and stuff) and it worked, you don't really hear it anymore, which is a shame...

http://nypost.com/2013/07/14/for-red-bulls-fans-one-win-one-ysa-chant/

Who cares? 

haha Okay, you keep supporting a sport full of overpaid mega-roided primadonnas doing "nothing much" all game (baseball and football, judging from your sig), and I'll support the world's most popular sport where players are at least jogging for an hour and a half, when they're not full out sprinting.

Not saying diving/complaining isn't a problem in soccer, but you come off pretty ignorant. Being a diehard hockey fan isn't mutually exclusive vs. being a soccer fan. You didn't have to click the thread if you weren't interested.

Edited by DJ Eco

WTF is a "Supporter's Shield"?!?!?

It's like our President's Trophy but with a few meaningful benefits. We qualify into our continental leagues' Champions League, which is a trophy between all the best teams in North and Central America that you play concurrently during the MLS regular season.

What's most exciting about it right now is that if we make it through the playoffs to the MLS Cup Final, it's a ONE SINGLE GAME final, not best of 7 or best of 3. It's one single game and as the best team in the regular season, that one game would automatically be played at Red Bull Arena. It's like if the Stanley Cup Final were one game and one team clearly has a home advantage and the other doesn't.

Who cares? 

I come from a "soccer family" (my brother was the #8-ranked high school player in NJ during his senior year...he got a full ride to play at Ohio Wesleyan University), and my family had season tickets to the NY Cosmos for about 4 years.  I'll admit, watching the Cosmos play was fun back in the day (late 70s-early 80s)...but I also think part of the fun simply came from being a kid (I was 8 to about 12 years old) and being at a event.  We often went with other families too, which added to it.  And the Cosmos could actually score...almost 3 GPG for a few years, which kind of made them the 80s Oilers, as far as soccer goes.

But yeah, there's a LOT of things I hate about soccer.  Not just the lack of scoring, but often the lack of scoring chances.  Seems crazy that two teams can play 90 minutes, without either one of them reaching double figures in shots.  And yeah, the diving-like-they've-just-been-shot thing makes it easy to hate the sport.  Some will point to hooligan rioting as another reason, but it's not like other sports haven't seen their share of fan rioting in recent seasons.  And friggin' championships getting decided on PENALTY KICKS?!   

A lot of the reason it's popular around the world is that it's easy to play, and cheap, as far as needing equipment goes.  Just find a ball and a field/street/whatever, and anyone can play.  And for young kids, compared to American football/baseball/hockey/basketball, it's a lot easier to not look bad.  I won't deny that as kids get older, clearly some of the ones who aren't developing and improving their skills won't keep up, but at least when kids are younger, soccer doesn't require as much skill as some other sports to look passable.  Run and kick.  Not that hard.  That's why a lot of kids play it.  It's flat-out easier, especially initially. 

Looking at it from the rest of the world's point-of-view, I can understand it if they don't get baseball, think it's boring, wondering why there's so much standing around, and how much of the game seems to be focused on four individuals (pitcher, batter, catcher, home plate umpire).  And I'm sure when they see baseball players get hurt swinging a bat or running to first, they're thinking "Oh please" (I know I do sometimes).  They probably find American football to be confusing, with down and distance, and constantly play-stoppages.  Ice hockey and basketball have more a world following, and I can understand that, in that, like soccer, there's more continuity and quicker back-and-forth during play.  It all comes down to perception, and I don't pretend to think that Americans have the market cornered on the 100% "correct" perception of what sports are worthy of being played. 

But this is one American that thinks soccer is pretty lame. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976