Anyone see Bettman at the game tonight?

JustinZ

Scored some free club seats and was in section 8. Right before the third started I was chilling in the ice lounge. I ran into a friend and was bsing with him. Then he says there's Bettman, and I turn around to see him walking by me. I couldn't resist. I yelled you suck at him. Then I see this huge security guy in a suit look at me and start heading over, so I go back to talking to my friend thinking, fvck this guy's gonna kick me out. He taps me and says don't be a fvcking dick. I then apologized, and the guy didn't take his eyes off me for like 5 minutes. Looked like he was heading down to his seats, had to be in section 6 or 7. Can't believe he would sit anywhere but a box after what he did to this team.

• Like 2

Not surprized. Bettman doesn't suck. he put the nhl on the map. I know he'll always get booed at Prudential center, because thats what Devils fans do.

He really put them on the map - moving the TV rights to a crappy network that not everyone gets and making sure ESPN never mentions hockey. Moving franchises to cities that have no support for the NHL and having a lock out and having almost no marketing plan to grow the fan base.

Not to mention the conflict of interest that currently exists by having Colin Campbell as the dean of discipline when his son is an active NHL player. He's doing a heck of a job with the NHL.

• Like 2

Not surprized. Bettman doesn't suck. he put the nhl on the map. I know he'll always get booed at Prudential center, because thats what Devils fans do.

I don't know how you can seriously say that. Have you watched a game lately? He has almost made it a no-contact sport. It is tough to watch when you grew up on late 70's early 80's hockey.

• Like 2

Try being respectful and stop attributing to the group that makes us look bad. Bettman fought his ass off and won to try and defend the integrity of his beliefs.

It sucks that he singled the Devils out... but if any Devil fan can tell me Kovy's contract is not cap circumvention... you need a brain examination. Yeah obviously there are others... but this was the worst. I'd rather the commish be proud of our fan base and think positively of us and want to come to the Rock instead of having immature idiots screaming you suck at him. Grow up, seriously.

He really put them on the map - moving the TV rights to a crappy network that not everyone gets and making sure ESPN never mentions hockey. Moving franchises to cities that have no support for the NHL and having a lock out and having almost no marketing plan to grow the fan base.

Not to mention the conflict of interest that currently exists by having Colin Campbell as the dean of discipline when his son is an active NHL player. He's doing a heck of a job with the NHL.

Wow, that is a lot of misinformation.

In case you didn't realize it NHL ratings and attendance have been up the past two years...since leaving ESPN.

ESPN dropped hockey coverage when they had the NHL. ESPN signed a very bad deal with the NBA and tried to squeeze the NHL to make up for it. I think VS is doing a great job. I know when games are on and I know they won't pre-empt hockey for Poker or Cattle sports.

You can't blame Bettman for the Phoenix debacle of putting an arena in the middle of nowhere (sort of like the CAA). In terms of trying to make the NHL a national sport in the US, he has made all the right moves in theory. If you moved US franchises to Quebec, Winnipeg, etc. It damages the TV ratings potential and the national exposure and revenue.

this wasn't gary's first trip to the rock this year, but it was the first time he was in his club seats. he was there w/ his son and two guys that were part of his security detail (something he's NEVER had in the past).

his personality is probably his biggest hinderance and every fan thinks that he's out to get their team (even detroit and pittsburgh). it's just the nature of things. but really, his job is to make the owners as much money as possible and he's done that for sure.

Wow, that is a lot of misinformation.

In case you didn't realize it NHL ratings and attendance have been up the past two years...since leaving ESPN.

ESPN dropped hockey coverage when they had the NHL. ESPN signed a very bad deal with the NBA and tried to squeeze the NHL to make up for it. I think VS is doing a great job. I know when games are on and I know they won't pre-empt hockey for Poker or Cattle sports.

You can't blame Bettman for the Phoenix debacle of putting an arena in the middle of nowhere (sort of like the CAA). In terms of trying to make the NHL a national sport in the US, he has made all the right moves in theory. If you moved US franchises to Quebec, Winnipeg, etc. It damages the TV ratings potential and the national exposure and revenue.

Not to get in a long back and forth but TV ratings haven't gone up - other than for the SC finals the last 3 years - the regular season ratings have been stagnant. A whopping 0.3 on Versus and a 1.0 on NBC.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/site/comments/nhl_us_television_ratings/

And the NHL average attendance has barely gone up from around 16,500 to 17,000 over the last 4 years. Not exactly spectacular growth. The NHL loves to say that they have "record attendance" every year and while technically that is true, increasing by a couple of hundred fans per game each year is nice but not earth shattering.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/site/comments/nhl_average_attendance_since_1989_90/118-2008-09

Scored some free club seats and was in section 8. Right before the third started I was chilling in the ice lounge. I ran into a friend and was bsing with him. Then he says there's Bettman, and I turn around to see him walking by me. I couldn't resist. I yelled you suck at him. Then I see this huge security guy in a suit look at me and start heading over, so I go back to talking to my friend thinking, fvck this guy's gonna kick me out. He taps me and says don't be a fvcking dick. I then apologized, and the guy didn't take his eyes off me for like 5 minutes. Looked like he was heading down to his seats, had to be in section 6 or 7. Can't believe he would sit anywhere but a box after what he did to this team.

Sounds like the guard was being a dick to me.

Sounds like the guard was being a dick to me.

You'd be too if every place you went someone wanted to do bodily harm to the guy you're protecting, Bettman's the most hated figurehead character on TV this side of Vince McMahon when he's on wrestling :P

Not to get in a long back and forth but TV ratings haven't gone up - other than for the SC finals the last 3 years - the regular season ratings have been stagnant. A whopping 0.3 on Versus and a 1.0 on NBC.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/site/comments/nhl_us_television_ratings/

And the NHL average attendance has barely gone up from around 16,500 to 17,000 over the last 4 years. Not exactly spectacular growth. The NHL loves to say that they have "record attendance" every year and while technically that is true, increasing by a couple of hundred fans per game each year is nice but not earth shattering.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/site/comments/nhl_average_attendance_since_1989_90/118-2008-09

Fair enough. I stand corrected on the ratings.

But considering the lack of TV Household for VS vs. ESPN its still a healthy number and the league has no suffered from not being on espn2

Oh good so people are yelling you suck at him in front of his son. The IQ of some Devil fans is seriously in the negatives. That, or they have no desire to be a positive example of society.

Dude, its sports, not the opera. And Betteman does suck. He is the dick and has constantly tried to screw over the devils. He took away $5 mill and a first rd draft pick and abused our fan base this summer with horrendous communication skills.

• Like 1

Would 'excuse me sir, but i highly disagree with your policies' have been better? We should change our name to the New Jersey Puritans. People are getting upset over yelling you suck to a man who certainly does and has royally screwed our franchise around so often? wow....lets bring our red carpet and manners for him next time :rolleyes:

Edited by devlman

Seriously.

What gives you the right to yell something like that at another person?

Are you 13?

I think it's....the First Amendment? Freedom of Speech? He didn't threaten him or anything, just told him what he thought....

Would 'excuse me sir, but i highly disagree with your policies' have been better? We should change our name to the New Jersey Puritans. People are getting upset over yelling you suck to a man who certainly does and has royally screwed our franchise around so often? wow....lets bring our red carpet and manners for him next time :rolleyes:

Nice! I wonder if he ate the food in the clubs....hmmmmmm

• Like 1

Oh god.

GEt some class people.

Maybe we should change the name to the New Jersey Dumbfvcks, because our fans by and large, except for what I feel like is the exception are dumbfvcks.

You don't tell YOU SUCK at anyone to their face. It's ok to vent in the privacy of your own home, but to throw a you suck at Gary - when you have almost ZERO INFORMATION AS TO WHAT he has to deal with is crazy.

Oh god.

GEt some class people.

Maybe we should change the name to the New Jersey Dumbfvcks, because our fans by and large, except for what I feel like is the exception are dumbfvcks.

You don't tell YOU SUCK at anyone to their face. It's ok to vent in the privacy of your own home, but to throw a you suck at Gary - when you have almost ZERO INFORMATION AS TO WHAT he has to deal with is crazy.

"What he has to deal with"?? Stopping the Devils from allowing Kovy to sign the original contract is one thing; but to bring the HAMMER down on us with excessive penalties is what makes me furious....

"What he has to deal with"?? Stopping the Devils from allowing Kovy to sign the original contract is one thing; but to bring the HAMMER down on us with excessive penalties is what makes me furious....

Well the Devils do have some responsibility in that and two again we have NO INFORMATION as to what kind of pressure the administration was on from other owners - who again, employ gary.

Oh good so people are yelling you suck at him in front of his son. The IQ of some Devil fans is seriously in the negatives. That, or they have no desire to be a positive example of society.

his son is in his late 20's or early 30's and has a constant smirking grin on his face. relax francis, he can take it.

• Like 1

It was bogus contract and Lou knew it. The league had to make a statement to the other GM's. The Devils accepted the penalties so should you.

So the Goon wants to spend the day with his son at the worst teams game. Im sure it was one of those things where a Dad turns to his son and say, "See how cool your Daddy is? I did this...." as he points to the Devils bench.

He apparently lives in Saddle River so thats why he has been showing up to the Devils games.