Photo

Philadelphia Flyers Pronger, likely done.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Dude had 3 trips to the Finals with 3 different teams, wouldn't be surprised if he's the only guy who can say that between lockouts. He was a dirty player but he was one of the best.

Oh yes, great skill who's name could perhaps be tossed around as a Stevens if he could have stuck around in one place. IIRC, he signed a big deal in EDM and then left because his wife nagged him. In Philly, they traded two stars who were long term building blocks because of problems in the locker room. You would like to think someone with decent leadership skills would be able to defuse the situation a little better.

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Oh yes, great skill who's name could perhaps be tossed around as a Stevens if he could have stuck around in one place. IIRC, he signed a big deal in EDM and then left because his wife nagged him. In Philly, they traded two stars who were long term building blocks because of problems in the locker room. You would like to think someone with decent leadership skills would be able to defuse the situation a little better.

Stevens played for 3 teams, he signed with St. Louis in 1994, and how many coaches did the Devils have over his career there? 8?. I don't believe that Carter and Richards were traded just because Pronger wanted them gone.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Stevens played for 3 teams, he signed with St. Louis in 1994, and how many coaches did the Devils have over his career there? 8?. I don't believe that Carter and Richards were traded just because Pronger wanted them gone.

Pronger's diva attitude sure didn't help keep them there. It was clear there was a rift in the locker room that was bad enough for Holmgren to shake up a team coming a few wins away from a cup a year before the trade.

The eight coaches has little to do with Stevens and more to do with Lou's Stanley Cup or bust philosophy and bad luck.

#44 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

i will say I'll miss his interviews.
Posted Image

#45 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

IIRC, he signed a big deal in EDM and then left because his wife nagged him.

He was boning another woman.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#46 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

PK
Now tell us what you REALLY think!
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Pronger's diva attitude sure didn't help keep them there. It was clear there was a rift in the locker room that was bad enough for Holmgren to shake up a team coming a few wins away from a cup a year before the trade.

Holmgren's hand was forced by ownership - it was pretty clear he didn't want to make those trades. Like I said - I don't think it was the locker room alone. Carter and Richards had developed a reputation for being party guys. If they also had their own thing going in the locker room that's bad news. Hell, that happened to the A-line and they had won a Stanley Cup.

The eight coaches has little to do with Stevens and more to do with Lou's Stanley Cup or bust philosophy and bad luck.

When you want to look at something one way, it's easy to find evidence for it even if it's not there. I don't think Stevens has very much to do with that.

#48 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Holmgren's hand was forced by ownership - it was pretty clear he didn't want to make those trades.

I didn't realize that. What's the basis for this?
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I didn't realize that. What's the basis for this?

Thought I read it somewhere, but can't find it now. The press conference after dealing both guys, it feels like he's not thrilled, but sometimes people from Canada just sound like that.

#50 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thought I read it somewhere, but can't find it now. The press conference after dealing both guys, it feels like he's not thrilled, but sometimes people from Canada just sound like that.

I doubt he wanted to under any circumstances. Even if drug use or attitudes became a factor, sending two homegrown franchise kids off would tap into some level of his humanity..

Regardless, I'm curious as well where those orders came from, and how they felt after the Kings won the Cup..

#51 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

He was boning another woman.

So did Brodeur and you didn't see him get traded

#52 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

So did Brodeur and you didn't see him get traded

Of course, because they went about it differently. Brodeur got divorced, Pronger's wife demanded they leave Edmonton, so he requested a trade.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#53 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Of course, because they went about it differently. Brodeur got divorced, Pronger's wife demanded they leave Edmonton, so he requested a trade.

... Women am I right fellas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users