All Jersey Talk

mmajeski06

*Jerseys at Sports Authority also have the crappy paper/plastic numbers/nameplate.[/quote

They jerseys they sell are the same factory-customized jerseys that modells and dicks sell. They are not quite the same paper/plastic that NHL.com sells (those have the texture of slightly sturdier construction paper with drawn-on first and second layer stitching). The ones that the chain sporting goods store sell are made of a type of twill but only the first (black) layer is stitched while the upper layer (white or red depending on if the jersey is home or away) is sub laminated on with drawn-on stitching. This is not nearly as good as someone like EPS but still not bad. They are at least somewhat stitched, the font is passable and they actually use airknit nameplates and not twill nameplates. In fact if you get one of the factory customized jerseys you might be ahead of the curve as it looks like jerseys on the very near future will all be sublimated like these. Reasons are they are cheaper, supposedly more rugged as less layers and stitching to take care of and lighter (yeah it's like 1/100000 of a lbs but you know reebok/Adidas will market it as a "feature"). In fact the predators have already been using that for their gamers for the past couple of seasons already and apparently more teams are interested and reebok will push it on the NHL.

But don't worry, reebok will appropriately charge more for this when it happens as it is a new "technology" ;)

They still aren't "cheap", but SportsK is a legitimate site and they have blank replicas for $98 ($105 including shipping). That's about the best you'll find unless a sporting goods store has some sort of after season sale. As far as player lettering, I'll defer to others on here (especially DevsMan84), but SportsK is considered to do a good job, and Exclusive Pro does the lettering for the team and is probably the best option if you want legitimate customization.

NOTE: I just checked the SportsK site, and the red replicas are now $105 without shipping, while the white replicas are still $98.

Yeah EPS is indeed the best as they do the devils on-ice jerseys.

As for sportsk, I have bought blanks from them and they always are legit. I also have to reverse my earlier judgement of their customization as after seeing some more recent customizations by them they look to be quite solid. Def an option.

Sportsk's customizing is done by Triple Threat Sports, they do a great job. Never had any problems. Only issue is, they don't have the material for the current jersey's nameplates. Hardly noticeable to a casual fan, but jersey collectors don't like that.

If that matters to you, Exclusive Pro Sports is the place to go, they have the material and do a great job.

I just bought my brother a red replica at the arena am planning on sending it to Exclusive Pro to get a name stitched on.  Should I have bought an authentic? Is there a huge difference in quality? And will EP lettering work with a replica? Any and all comments welcome!

I just bought my brother a red replica at the arena am planning on sending it to Exclusive Pro to get a name stitched on. Should I have bought an authentic? Is there a huge difference in quality? And will EP lettering work with a replica? Any and all comments welcome!

Yes, EPS will work on your replica.

In terms of should you have gotten an authentic, it's up to you. Factors like personal taste and budget seems to be the biggest factors in there and if budget is your biggest concern then you are fine. Most fans really don't care as long as they have something to wear and that's fine. I have a good mix of replicas, authentics and game worns in my collection of about 40 or so jerseys.

The quality is def different but the jerseys sold today by reebok as "authentics" are not the jerseys worn by the players on the ice. Differences are they have a lesser quality construction, the materials are more like the replicas, cheaper fight strap quality and are made in Indonesia instead of Canada. These are called by jersey collectors "indoedges" and they have been around since the start of the 2011-12 season. For your reference that is when reebok switched from the vector logo on the back neck to the wordmark where it just says "reebok." Right now the only way to get the true jerseys the devils wear on the ice is to buy either a game worn, game issued or once in a while meigray has some on clearance.

Thanks. I ask because I have a CCM Replica from a few years ago and the quality of the material is so much better than the Reebok Replicas.  It seems like the Reeboks wrinkle very easilly and may not last as long. But the authentics cost serious money. 

I think the CCM jerseys are much nicer than the Reeboks. Do you agree? What are your thoughts on the quality of this jersey? And do you know where I can find a red CCM jersey that is blank? (that way I can send to EP for the best stitching -- also, for older players it makes sense to have the CCM style I think) 

I think the CCM jerseys are much nicer than the Reeboks. Do you agree? What are your thoughts on the quality of this jersey? And do you know where I can find a red CCM jersey that is blank? (that way I can send to EP for the best stitching -- also, for older players it makes sense to have the CCM style I think)

For replicas the CCM 550's are nicer and have a better build. The only knock I have against them is that they just run big compared to the reeboks.

That jersey is fine, but overpriced. That eBay seller is notorious for selling overpriced replicas. You can get a blank and send it to EPS for about half the price but you would just have to wait a bit.

I'm thinking about buying a new jersey. My main question is what size should I go for? I'm going to be buying a premier one.

I am about 5'-10", and weigh almost 175... i know, a bit chunky,

Thanks

Probably a large.  I would go to modells or dicks quickly and try one on just to make sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick thing I wanted to share - this past week I bought one of the Devils "Stadium Series" replica jerseys from IceJerseys (who I hadn't bought from before but showed me some very quick service; I ordered on Monday evening and received my jersey by Thursday).  I already owned the "Vintage Hockey" replica Devils road (i.e red and green) jersey, so I can now compare the two jerseys.

Similarities:

The biggest similarity is that they look to the untrained eye essentially the same.  The color scheme is the same and the striping is essentially the same, down to the coloring and width of the stripes.  They are much more similar to one another than they are different.

Differences:

The two jerseys are different from one another in a few ways, most of them subtle but one of them fairly obvious.  Those differences include:

*Tags - the Stadium Series jersey has an inside collar tag that says "Team Classics" at the top and has a large CCM logo underneath it.  By contrast, the Vintage Hockey jersey has an inside collar tag that has a CCM logo on the left and says "Vintage Hockey" on the right.  Additionally, the Team Classics/Stadium Series jersey says it was made in Indonesia, while the Vintage Hockey jersey says it was made in Canada.

*Waist collar CCM logo - both jerseys have a wordmark CCM logo on the backside at the bottom right side of the jersey.  However, the logo is different between the two jerseys.  On the "Team Classics" (Stadium Series) jersey, the CCM logo is shown in its "natural", three color form; the two "C's" have a red background and the "M" has a blue background, and the letters themselves are white.  By contrast on the "Vintage Hockey" jersey, the CCM logo is shown in a two color form, green and white; the two "C's" have a white background with a green letter, while the "M" has a green background with a white letter.

*Devils crest - the crest on the Team Classics/Stadium Series jersey is somewhat larger than the crest on Vintage Hockey jersey.  Interestingly, the crest on the white (home) version of the Devils' replica retro (1982-1992) jersey, which I bought a few months ago at SportsK (and is still being sold by SportsK), is larger than the crest on either Devils replica red and green jersey.  (IMO, the crest on the white Devils jersey also looks a little nicer too, but that's a side note.)  The white Devils retro jersey is also a "Vintage Hockey" tagged jersey.

*Material texture - by far the biggest difference between the two jerseys is in the texture of the material.  The difference is not dissimilar to the difference between the pre-2007 CCM replicas and the post-2007 Reebok premiers/replicas.  The Team Classics/Stadium Series jersey is made out of a lighter weight material, not the same as that used in the Reebok premiers/replicas but more similar in feel to that material than the material used in the old CCM replicas.  By contrast, the Vintage Hockey jersey is made out of a heavier weight material that feels essentially the same as the material that was used in the old CCM replicas (of which I have a few, mostly picked up for $15 each at Ollie's Bargain Outlet after Reebok took over the NHL merchandise contract and the CCM replicas were discontinued).

Incidentally, the two Devils replica retro road/alternate red and green jerseys were bought at different on-line retailers - my Vintage Hockey jersey was bought at CoolHockey, and my Team Classics jersey was bought at IceJerseys.  (Additionally, my Devils replica home white, red, and green jersey was bought at SportsK.)  To my knowledge and based on my experience with buying all of the jerseys, all three retailers are reputable.  (P.S. I've also bought a few other Devils, Devils-related, and WHA hockey jerseys and sports apparel items through SportsK in addition to the aforementioned Devils jersey.)

Edited by CHIP72

i was thinking about picking up one of the stadium series jerseys .. not a game worn just a regular stadium series replica.. after i thought about it i dont think i want anything to remind me of that crap game.. too soon..just too soon

i was thinking about picking up one of the stadium series jerseys .. not a game worn just a regular stadium series replica.. after i thought about it i dont think i want anything to remind me of that crap game.. too soon..just too soon

I think the "Stadium Series" jerseys that are being sold are the exact same jerseys that have been sold as the Devils' alternate/St. Patrick's Day jersey the last few years.  Unlike every other team that played a Stadium Series game this season, there were no new Reebok-tagged, Devils jerseys that were manufactured for the Devils' Stadium Series game.  Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, there are very, very few Reebok-tagged Devils retro/alternate jerseys floating around; almost all of the Devils red and green retros you see are either "Team Classics" CCM or "Vintage Hockey" CCM jerseys.

Edited by CHIP72

CCM has two lines of vintage jerseys going on: Team Classics and CCM Vintage.

The team classics line is the one that the devils have been selling since 2010 as replicas for the first retro night. The vintage line is what CCM has been selling for various jerseys of past designs and defunct teams for years.

Both are nice but there are issues with both. For the team classics the fit of them are kinda on the long side (almost like Mitchell and Ness jerseys) and they have been somewhat inaccurate. Their version of the 1994 rangers jersey is completely wrong with the wrong bottom striping pattern.

The issue with the vintage line is the quality of construction on them. I recently got a blue KC Scouts jersey from sportsk and it arrived new in the factory bag and I noticed about a two inch tear along a seam on one of the sleeves. I told sportsk about this and they said they were having issues with quality control for this line of jerseys with others arriving in factory sealed bags with jerseys with spots and holes. I am having mine fixed and customized by EPS at this time. The vintage line though has a better fit and overall better accuracy in general.

Yeah I got a stadium series patch and was going to have it stitched to my replica Elias retro but now I can't bring myself to have reminders of that game.

DevsMan84 - thanks for the additional insights about the Team Classics and Vintage Hockey jersey lines.  I guess I've been lucky (either that or haven't looked super-closely) with the Vintage Hockey series jerseys I've bought; I haven't had any issues with construction quality.  (Like you, I also bought the blue KC Scouts replica that SportsK started selling back in January of this year; I've also bought the Vintage Hockey versions of both Devils retros I mentioned above and a blue Colorado Rockies replica as well.)

One question for you - how does someone buy Team Classics versions of the retro jerseys for teams besides the Devils?  I was looking at SportsK and CoolHockey for retro jerseys, and all of the ones they sell appear to be from the Vintage Hockey line.  (On a related note, I know for a period of time a few months ago CoolHockey was selling both the Devils "Stadium Series" jersey, i.e. the Team Classics jersey AND the Devils "throwback" jersey, i.e. the Vintage Hockey jersey; FWIW they had the Vintage Hockey jersey priced lower.)  I don't intend to buy any non-Devils related retro NHL jerseys except possibly an original San Jose Sharks one, but I'm just curious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.