Divers beware?

DevilMinder

PuckDaddy

Among his more noteworthy attempts was in a 2010 playoff game with the Philadelphia Flyers against the New Jersey Devils, where Carcillo pretended to have been struck in the face with a stick.

God, that was awful!

I like this idea and hope it comes to fruition. Can entire teams be blacklisted?(canes)

Everything from posting pictures of each culprit in every NHL dressing room to re-instituting a fine system, or simply tacking on an additional two-minute penalty to offset the original call is being discussed by hockey operations and will at some point be presented to all NHL general managers for further discussion.

Tacking on another two minutes to offset the original call? Why not just only call the diving penalty and not call the person who was falsely accused of hooking/tripping/etc?

This x 1000000. I never understood why refs called it that way. If the guy dives then the person accused of hooking, tripping or whatever penalty should not be penalized also. Makes no sense but I guess it covers the ref's asses.

Tacking on another two minutes to offset the original call? Why not just only call the diving penalty and not call the person who was falsely accused of hooking/tripping/etc?

That's the thing - in almost all cases where diving is called, the player is guilty of fouling a player to a degree - the stick is on the player's leg, or between his legs. It's just that the player didn't exert sufficient force to trip them. I suspect the rules were drawn up in the era when hooking and tripping were 'legal' (watch a game from 1990 or before, seriously) and pretty much every hook or trip called would be a legitimate call.

I wouldn't mind it going to 4 minutes and 2 minutes. I think I'd rather have off-ice officials determine a list and begin fining/suspending players on that basis though. On-ice officials have enough to worry about, they're not good at seeing dives now, why would creating a larger penalty for diving help them see it any better?

I suspect the rules were drawn up in the era when hooking and tripping were 'legal' (watch a game from 1990 or before, seriously) and pretty much every hook or trip called would be a legitimate call.

I never understood all the uproar over the "sudden" onset of obstruction in the mid 90's. Watching a game from the 80's is like watching a combination of water skiing, the NFL, and the WWF...with some hockey sprinkled in.

I never understood all the uproar over the "sudden" onset of obstruction in the mid 90's. Watching a game from the 80's is like watching a combination of water skiing, the NFL, and the WWF...with some hockey sprinkled in.

Defenses were awful and goalies were worse. Shots on goal were down in the 80s as compared to now, and it's even more stark when you look at the fact that power plays are also (still) way down.

No penalties, just a large and subsequently increasing fine would be enough to eventually deter players. Start at 10k and double it every time they are guilty of a dive, resetting every 3 seasons they go without a call. I don't like using penalties as a deterrent because diving calls can be hard to make and I'd rather the officials be focusing on more important aspects of the game. Instant reply is the best weapon here.

No penalties, just a large and subsequently increasing fine would be enough to eventually deter players. Start at 10k and double it every time they are guilty of a dive, resetting every 3 seasons they go without a call. I don't like using penalties as a deterrent because diving calls can be hard to make and I'd rather the officials be focusing on more important aspects of the game. Instant reply is the best weapon here.

I agree with this 100% and its easily the best way to punish them.

What I think the NHL needs is more collaboration between officials, so when we have the common situation of the back ref making a sh!tty call, the refs and linesman can get together and decide to pick up the flag. Or if one ref sees a penalty and raises the arm, but another sees that it was a blatant dive, they can conference and call only the dive instead of the non-penalty. (For example, stick missing the face but the player throws his head back.) Embellishment in the case of an actual penalty should be called as-is, offsetting penalties. I agree there should be fines, but only for blatant, no-question dives.

Edited by David Puddy