NJ Native Plays for Italian National Team vs. U.S.A.

95Crash

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LINK

It also works the opposite direction. Jermaine Jones played in several friendlies at the senior level for Germany, but has now decided to play for the USA after not being considered for the German side the last games

EXACTLY.

And you can look into the French National Team's situation with the non-French players on their squads. Everyone does it. Hell, look down the American roster and I guarantee you will find a few players that weren't born here.

It sure is great when American citizens, especially those who were born here, chant "USA Sucks" because they choose heritage over nationality.

But, you conviently ignored that aspect.

No, I addressed that head on. Just because you refuse to separate sports from politics doesn't mean everyone else lumps the two in together.

I never said it was a utopia. Feel free to point out where i did or any reference to it being one. I'm a proud American regardless if it was a utopia or desert wasteland and that's the whole point. Then again preaching that to libs like you and having you understand anything about national pride is like talking to a wall.

I never said "he" [Andrew] washes his hands of America. I said "those" who do.

:blahblah: :blahblah:

Don't play semantics with me. It's obvious from your tone and your attitude what you're getting at.

I'll say it one more time in big bright bold letters for those who still don't -- or won't -- get it:

IT'S JUST SOCCER!!!

No, I addressed that head on. Just because you refuse to separate sports from politics doesn't mean everyone else lumps the two in together.

So, Rowdy, do you disagree with a American citizen who is born here, raised here, works here, makes their living here and raises a family here booing the USA National teams and saying "THEY SUCK" because it's only sports and not politics? Is that what i am to understand?

Or is it ok if they are only a generration removed from their heritage? Does that make it right?

Hmmm...Do all liberals speak for everyone else? Or so it seems? Or does a small amount of people who share the same view be considered "everyone else"

:blahblah: :blahblah:

Rowdy being Rowdy...

Don't play semantics with me. It's obvious from your tone and your attitude what you're getting at.

My tone and attitude? The black letters on the white screen can talk now?

Again, show me in my exact words. Show me where i said Andrew is washing his hands of America without the lib double talk.

If you're going to put words in my mouth (lib trait) and claim to be able to tell tone and attiude over a computer screen, back it up with facts and stop hiding under the "semantics" excuse.

Maybe studying politics in college has tarnished my American pride. But I'm going to keep this topic far from a political discussion.

I rooted for Italy too, just as I do every day. I'm an American supporter when the opponent is someone other than Italy.

I am the first person on my dad's side of the family born in the US instead of Italy, and I disagree with a lot of our country's politics, but I still root for the US over Italy when they play each other because the athletes from either country have nothing to do with their country's politics--they are just athletes, so I have no problem rooting for them. I still root for Italy (and Ireland) in sports all the time except for when one of them plays the US.

I thought about this a lot during the Olympics last summer and I realized I have more in common with the American athletes than the Italian athletes, so that's the decision I came to. With that said, I understand your side of the debate too, and I'm not gonna call you an America-hater or anything stupid like that.

This is turning a tad too political. It has nothing to do with being on the right or left ITS ABOUT HAVING PRIDE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY! No matter what your views are you should still love this great country of ours. Yes you can call the world cup "just a sport" but it's not. The world cup means so much to the countries that win it. I just hope I live long enough to see us make a world cup final, I can't imagine the joy I would have if we actually won it.

I disagree with a lot of our country's politics, but I still root for the US over Italy when they play each other because the athletes from either country have nothing to do with their country's politics--they are just athletes, so I have no problem rooting for them. I still root for Italy (and Ireland) in sports all the time except for when one of them plays the US.

Exactly!

So, Rowdy, do you disagree with a American citizen who is born here, raised here, works here, makes their living here and raises a family here booing the USA National teams and saying "THEY SUCK" because it's only sports and not politics? Is that what i am to understand?

If the national team truly is terrible, I'd expect nothing less. If they're up on Argentina 3-0 and the Argentine fans are still saying "USA sucks!" rather than "Let's go Argentina!", that's a different issue. Then again, Devils fans insist upon chanting "Rangers suck!" regardless of the score or opponent, so I don't really have too much confidence in the intelligence of certain factions of sports fans.

And yes, this is only sports, not politics. I fail to understand why you insist upon lumping the two together and making this a political issue.

Or is it ok if they are only a generration removed from their heritage? Does that make it right?

Are you intentionally being obtuse or did you truly not understand my point there?

Hmmm...Do all liberals speak for everyone else? Or so it seems? Or does a small amount of people who share the same view be considered "everyone else"

Same question right back at ya, just change "liberals" to "conservatives"...

If you're going to put words in my mouth (lib trait) and claim to be able to tell tone and attiude over a computer screen, back it up with facts and stop hiding under the "semantics" excuse.

Don't get me started on the "con trait" of hiding behind the literal word and pretending that such concepts as attitude, tone, context and nuance don't exist.

If the national team truly is terrible, I'd expect nothing less. If they're up on Argentina 3-0 and the Argentine fans are still saying "USA sucks!" rather than "Let's go Argentina!", that's a different issue. Then again, Devils fans insist upon chanting "Rangers suck!" regardless of the score or opponent, so I don't really have too much confidence in the intelligence of certain factions of sports fans.

That's not what i asked, but alright....

But i agree with the last observation. Nothing more rediculous then hearing "RANGERS SUCK" when you're losing to the NYR or playing the Lightning.

And yes, this is only sports, not politics. I fail to understand why you insist upon lumping the two together and making this a political issue.

Because IMO, anyone that is born here, lives here, earns a living here and raises a family here that somehow feels the need to yell "USA SUCKS" is a disgrace to this country, sporting event or not.

Are you intentionally being obtuse or did you truly not understand my point there?

Oh i understood. You're trying to use the generation gap as reasoning why someone that has foriegn heritage chooses nationality over heritage or vice versa.

Same question right back at ya, just change "liberals" to "conservatives"...

And around and around we go...

Don't get me started on the "con trait" of hiding behind the literal word and pretending that such concepts as attitude, tone, context and nuance don't exist.

When words can talk, that's when i'll listen and take it as such. I don't buy into wordsmithery and delivery. To me, it's all words on a screen. I dissect the argument and banter itself, not the delivery of it. For all i know Andrew could have been serious or not serious. I took his words and dissected it for it's content not the delivery.

However, i do believe someone can develop a "style" of posting that reflects a certain behavior pattern over time.

For all i know Andrew could have been serious or not serious. I took his words and dissected it for it's content not the delivery.

Just check out my two first posts on this page and that's everything I'm talking about. I'm trying to stress that I am an American and what have you.

And at the same time, and this is where we disagree, soccer and sports are not tied into politics for me. And anyone that roots for their country of heritage in a sporting event is not slighting the US unless they bring politics into it. If it's purely a sports decision, I don't see a problem with it.

Calling soccer fans front runners is insane: Fans want to watch the best players in the world compete, end of story. That is like saying European football fans should root for the European Football League over the NFL Players here in the United States because it is on their turf. The MLS is a decent league, but it pales in comparison to the leagues in Europe, and will forever. USA soccer fans just need to understand that.

Would I have liked to see this guy play for the US? Sure, I root for the USA first in soccer, then Italia....it is what it is.

To be fair, this is his AP picture posted

Is that DJ Stubbs? :P

Because IMO, anyone that is born here, lives here, earns a living here and raises a family here that somehow feels the need to yell "USA SUCKS" is a disgrace to this country, sporting event or not.

But it seems like you're trying to kill two birds with one stone. On one hand, you're going after the Argentina fans from that one match for yelling "USA SUCKS", and I'll grant that you're probably right on that regard, but on the other hand, it seems like you're trying to paint Andrew with that same brush for admitting that he roots for Italia, even though he goes out of his way to point out that he's just as proud of being American as he is of being Italian.

Oh i understood. You're trying to use the generation gap as reasoning why someone that has foriegn heritage chooses nationality over heritage or vice versa.

Yes. Reason being that the closer you are to being "from" another country, the stronger the attachments to that country are probably going to be.

From what little you said about your own lineage, it sounds like your ancestors came here a long, long time ago. Mine did too. As a result, we're probably not so attached to our heritage that we'd root for those countries' national teams over the US. Maybe we'd root for them when the US isn't involved, but when the two meet, it's always USA first. But I also see nothing wrong with someone who is much closer to their "mother country" continuing to pull for that country's team. As I've been trying to point out -- and as Andrew once again emphasized -- it's just sports, not politics.

Let me try it on a smaller scale. Let's say you move to San Jose. Applying your earlier logic to this situation, you will renounce your Devils fandom and start pulling for the Sharks exclusively; to fail to do so would be a slap in the face to San Jose and the new opportunities your life there has provided you. See how silly that sounds when you distill it down to pure sports?

Edited by RowdyFan42

Calling soccer fans front runners is insane: Fans want to watch the best players in the world compete, end of story. That is like saying European football fans should root for the European Football League over the NFL Players here in the United States because it is on their turf. The MLS is a decent league, but it pales in comparison to the leagues in Europe, and will forever. USA soccer fans just need to understand that.

Would I have liked to see this guy play for the US? Sure, I root for the USA first in soccer, then Italia....it is what it is.

That point about soccer wasn't referring to the MLS it was talking about the national teams, a good amount of fans here do root for the other teams, Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, France all before the US simply because those teams are better. The lack of pride in our US squad, no matter how good or bad they are is a down right disgrace.

Let me try it on a smaller scale. Let's say you move to San Jose. Applying your earlier logic to this situation, you will renounce your Devils fandom and start pulling for the Sharks exclusively; to fail to do so would be a slap in the face to San Jose and the new opportunities your life there has provided you. See how silly that sounds when you distill it down to pure sports?

I get your point but it's not the same thing no matter how much you try to make it seem like it is. THOSE AREN'T NATIONAL TEAMS! It's a club team where players get paid millions and millions of dollars to play. The national teams are players playing because they have pride when they put on our nations colors and they play for free. All they want to do is to bring glory to their country.

No matter how big of a douchebag I think David Beckham is, I still respect him for wanting to so badly play on the English national squad. It's the lack of pride in where we live today that is disgusting and it doesn't fvcking matter what your poltical views are you should still have some god damn pride in our country.

The lack of pride in our US squad, no matter how good or bad they are is a down right disgrace.

I agree. I just don't understand it.

More articles:

Giuseppe Rossi: For me, the U.S. is home

Goal.com

Rossi admitted that former U.S. coach Bruce Arena, who is also Italian-American, tried to bring Rossi into the U.S. team before the 2006 World Cup.

"It was tough to say no to an offer like that, especially when you're only 18 and they're offering you a chance to play in the World Cup."

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1929/fifa-confe...-the-us-is-home

Rossi Helps Italy Kick U.S. While It
Edited by 95Crash

The lack of pride in our US squad, no matter how good or bad they are is a down right disgrace.

x10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

its a slap in the face to anyone who lives n this country yet alone anyone that went to war. If I supported this guy and my grandfather found out he would be deeply offended

Rossi Helps Italy Kick U.S. While It’s Down

NYTimes.com

Donovan was dismissive of Rossi, saying, “If the guy doesn’t want to play for us, then I don’t really care about him.”

Awesome quote

If he wants to come over here and use this country for all the opportunities that it provides just to stab us in the back...then nobody here should care about him. His family came over here and took jobs away from people who were proud to be an AMERICAN. His move just shows his personality...a gutless coward. We dont need people like that on the team as we are trying to establish ourselves in the sport. Someone should of threw a bow to his head challenging the ball.

Edited by Mike441

I skipped most of the thread.

Two things:

I was at the US v. Argentina game last year (100*, friggin' hot) and I too was shocked by the number of clearly Americans rwearing Argentina blue and rooting for them. Shocked and appalled I'd say.

Going back to the '06 World Cup............I'm in my local pizza shop I've been going to sine the early '70's. It's the day of the '06 WC draw and the US and Italy are put in the group. I ask one of the younger family members of this pizza family who he's gonna root for....and he looks at me like I have 3 heads and says, "Italy, OF COURSE......" I'm like, "dude, you're 4th generation.....give me a break...."

I'm second generation Danish and Irish, but I'm rooting for America if we play either of them.

His family came over here and took jobs away from people who were proud to be an AMERICAN.

What the hell are you talking about? How do you know his family isn't proud to be here, and how do you know the people who would have had those jobs are proud to be here?

x10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

its a slap in the face to anyone who lives n this country yet alone anyone that went to war. If I supported this guy and my grandfather found out he would be deeply offended

Awesome quote

If he wants to come over here and use this country for all the opportunities that it provides just to stab us in the back...then nobody here should care about him. His family came over here and took jobs away from people who were proud to be an AMERICAN. His move just shows his personality...a gutless coward. We dont need people like that on the team as we are trying to establish ourselves in the sport. Someone should of threw a bow to his head challenging the ball.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. EVER.

Italians were one of the largest groups of immigrants to come over as late as the 20s through the 40s... guess what they all did? WENT TO WAR. They wore American uniforms and fought for America to defeat Hitler in World War 2.

And oh yeah, guess who the laborers were that worked long days building the roads in cities like Elizabeth and Newark? The Italians.

Italians also founded Bank of America and Chrysler.

I'm offended personally at your stupidity because my family worked their asses off to fight for this country and work hard. I have great uncles and cousins that have died fighting for this country...

Why don't you ask yourself what an American is? Any American sports idol or moviestar that you might like has parents or relatives that came here like my family did looking to contribute to American society and look for a better opportunity. This nation was founded by Europeans looking for a land where they could give eachother opportunities. I guess that's your definition of "coming here and taking jobs from Americans."

And oh by the way, when the Italians did come here... we all signed the guest book. Came here legally. Which is more than you can say for a good percentage of the immigrant population.

Do me a favor and don't quote me or respond to me. I don't want to waste my time reading bullsh!t from an undereducated and immature prick such as yourself.

And you call him a gutless coward? For the soccer team he chose to play for? You should rethink who is actually the gutless coward here. It's you.

It's been a long while since I've snapped at anyone here. But you've pushed me over the limit. You are a disgrace to yourself and people trying to argue valid points in this threat. Keep your fvcking mouth shut.

Edited by njdevil26

Your born and you live in America, then your American. I don't give a fvck where your family is from and all that bullsh!t. Take pride and embrace it or GTFO, we don't want you anyway. Just don't count on us when you want our help. When people ask me what I am, I proudly say American.