Will Parise Really Stay In NJ?

Quinn01

I understand his post about shopping Kovy sounds a bit silly, but it's interesting speculation. Look how we've been doing without him. The Parise/Henrique/Clarkson and Elias/Zubrus/Sykora lines seem to have some chemistry. Where does that leave Kovy? Third line? Third lines are typically defensive in orientation. It's an interesting thought to say the least.

I really hope he doesn't leave, and if he does, I think it will (unfortunately) be a 100% financial decision. I would hate to think that Lou/Vanderbeek saw more value in Kovalchuk than they do in Parise...but I really hope they can afford to get him to stay.

If he leaves, though, we need a RW and a goalie.

I understand his post about shopping Kovy sounds a bit silly, but it's interesting speculation. Look how we've been doing without him. The Parise/Henrique/Clarkson and Elias/Zubrus/Sykora lines seem to have some chemistry. Where does that leave Kovy? Third line? Third lines are typically defensive in orientation. It's an interesting thought to say the least.

It's only been a couple games though, way too early to come to the conclusion that we are better without him.

It's hard to put an exact feeling on Shanahan in terms of 20 years ago like it is today with Parise. Today, fans can celebrate their love for players in so many more ways. Shanny didn't have things like facebook, social media, message boards, the assorted memorabilia, public autograph signings (well, he did have one i know of. A free signing at a K-Mart in Wayne in October 1987. I was there!). I am willing to venture if Shanahan had what Parise has today at his disposal, he'd hold his own.

I remember well when Shanahan was a rookie and I was an STH during Shanahan's last two years here. I never heard one person have anything negative to say about him and everyone had a bad feeling he was leaving during the summer of 1991. He was a popular player with a personality, talent and he was the power forward the Devils were going to build around. He was just coming into his own as a player when he left. I remember seeing a woman tearing opening night 1991 when the Devils played the Blues with Shanny in St. Louis colors.

Stevens coming back in return as compensation softened the blow at the time somewhat, but Devils fans watched Shanahan blossom as a Blue with two 50 goal seasons before the Devils won their first Cup with Stevens. Overall, the Devils made out in the end quite nicely, but there was a time where it looked and could have turned out differently.

I just hope we can maybe make a trade if all seems loss and get at least something back.

Thanks for the info as always:)

ZP is a goner.

Explain your acting motivation here. As Zach -- to portray him in a convincing manner why would you leave the Devils?

Seriously -- use your acting skills or learn them as the case may be in these situations. Don't take stories from sources to make a snap judgement - that's a sh!tty way to form a character... look at your given circumstance (Zach's history - take into account his Dad's experiences as well, his engagement EVERYTHING no matter how minute) empathize out Zach's past motivations, form a clear future objective (do NOT play your obstacle - thus do not even consider your obstacle - honestly that's not realistic human behavior - if it seems like it is then you're objective is wrong).

We may not agree on who the guy is and that's fine -- so I want to understand who you think he is and why (if you conclude he's a goner) you'd want him to stay.

That would make me sad.

This.

I wouldn't want to see Parise traded and I believe he will be locked up long term. When he was interviewed on Versus the other day I got the vibe that he really does sincerely like playing here, wants to stay and will be a matter of time before he is locked up. However if we were to trade him the only trade I would do is Jack Johnson and Johnathon Bernier. (We could always put Frazee in this said deal.) Solving two of our needs in the process another solid defensemen and our next franchise goaltender..and I do see that potential in Bernier more so then Frazee.

Sorry but you lost me at saying parise has meant more to this team than Elias. You obviously have not watched the team and how much he meant to the team between 99 and 04.

Ive watched through that time, it may be a stretch but its not far from the truth. Parise is the face of this team and more skilled then elias ever was. If we didnt sign kovi to that terrible contract there wouldnt be a soul on here saying trade parise. Just hearing that from "devils fans" is unbelievable. Hes better than kovi, if u wanna trade some, trade kovi and get this team back to the makeup they were when they were successful

i got lost with this gem right from the start: "ppl saying trade him for so-and-so shouldnt be allowed in the arena" :huh:

It wasnt a gem buddy, its the truth. If you want parise gone, do me and everyone else here a favor, trade ur red jersey in for a blue one and take the train right past secaucus, cause you sound just like one of them. TRADE OUR BEST PLAYER!!! What team do you follow? You think lou would trade parise? You have to be a headcase to think that. And then u support ppl saying trade him? Idk what you think your the head coach of but when it comes to this team you aint lookin to bright.

It wasnt a gem buddy, its the truth. If you want parise gone, do me and everyone else here a favor, trade ur red jersey in for a blue one and take the train right past secaucus, cause you sound just like one of them. TRADE OUR BEST PLAYER!!! What team do you follow? You think lou would trade parise? You have to be a headcase to think that. And then u support ppl saying trade him? Idk what you think your the head coach of but when it comes to this team you aint lookin to bright.

You need to settle down, scooter.

This.

I wouldn't want to see Parise traded and I believe he will be locked up long term. When he was interviewed on Versus the other day I got the vibe that he really does sincerely like playing here, wants to stay and will be a matter of time before he is locked up. However if we were to trade him the only trade I would do is Jack Johnson and Johnathon Bernier. (We could always put Frazee in this said deal.) Solving two of our needs in the process another solid defensemen and our next franchise goaltender..and I do see that potential in Bernier more so then Frazee.

This sums it up nicely.

Ive watched through that time, it may be a stretch but its not far from the truth. Parise is the face of this team and more skilled then elias ever was. If we didnt sign kovi to that terrible contract there wouldnt be a soul on here saying trade parise. Just hearing that from "devils fans" is unbelievable. Hes better than kovi, if u wanna trade some, trade kovi and get this team back to the makeup they were when they were successful

You can debate that on here until the end of time. I tend to think differently and Elias has 2 cup rings to prove that. Elias also scored some huge goals for us when we needed them as well (Game 7 of the ECF in 2000 rings a bell?)

I really do not think Kovy's contract or abilities has anything to do with people feeling that Parise is expendable. It is just that with the uncertainty surrounding Parise's future in NJ it is reasonable to at least speculate and brace for the worst. I also have not seen anyone here saying that they want Lou to trade him so I really do not see what you are saying there. All I see is people just speculating what he would be worth in case the worst possible outcome comes true. I do not think Lou wants him to leave, but I at least hope he will make the best situation possible in case Parise is def gone.

If Lou knows for a fact that Parise will not sign (or cannot be signed due to team finances) it would be irresponsible NOT to trade him.

As unknown poster said, settle down. It's a business. No one WANTS Zach to go, but it may be the only option with the current finances.

Saying Parise is more skilled than Elias ever was is a tad ridiculous, especially considering Zach has an average shot at best and can't score from more than 3 feet from in front of the net.

Anyways, if you're equating skill with importance, well you've buried your own argument, because Kovy is far and away the most skilled offensive player to ever wear the team's jersey. Even the biggest Kovy detractors can't debate his raw skill.

We'll have between Jan 1st and 3PM Feb 27th to show Zach the love via a contract. i can't imagine Lou wants to lose Zach before heading off into the sunset himself and have that forever be his legacy. Could it happen? Sure, but I really don't think it will. I honestly don't.

At this point, you can't compare what Elias has meant to the Devils with Parise. Elias won 2 cups with this organization, holds (or is about to break) most of the offensive records, and has been a major contributor to this team for over a decade. Parise just hasn't been here long enough, or had an opportunity to match what Elias has done yet.

HOWEVER, if you're asking who is more important to this franchise going forward, then it clearly is Parise. He is the face of the team, its Captain and, really, its heart and soul. He is one of the hardest working players I have ever watched, and is clearly a crowd favorite. That is why the real deadline to sign Parise is the trade deadline this season. Lou cannot watch his biggest asset walk for nothing during free agency when some team like the Kings, Rangers, or Detroit (yes they have a ton of cap space next year) throws a ridiculous contract at him. He is a pro athlete, he will take the money if it far exceeds our offer. If he doesn't sign before the trade deadline, then trade him for the best package of NHL ready prospects and picks. The fans will be pissed as noone wants to see Parise leave, but Lou will have little choice if Zach refuses to sign and wants to test the market.

Saying Parise is more skilled than Elias ever was is a tad ridiculous, especially considering Zach has an average shot at best and can't score from more than 3 feet from in front of the net.

That's something that alot of people tend to overlook. How many of Parise's goals are actually scored from outside the slot/crease area?

Parise is a skilled finisher when he's got the puck in that slot/crease area, but that kind of living also relies on having linemates that can support that style as well. The puck doesn't get in that area on it's own. To get it there himself or make it happen, Parise works extremely hard and uses his intelligence on the ice, but he could also use some help with linemates that mesh with his ability. Also, does Parise make the players around him better or do the players around him make him bettter?

I'm a supporter of Parise. I've liked him since his 1st pro season in Albany. He's a type of player that you need on your team to win a Cup. He's a top line forward on any team in the league. No question he needs to be kept. However, as much as i feel he will not be back, i do not think it will the end of the world for the Devils. It will hurt, no question but remember, this is an organization that's won only 2 playoff rounds and missed the playoffs once in his career here and are probably a 7-8 seed at best this year. It's like the old saying goes (paraphrasing) "we're not winning anything with you, and we won't win anything without you, either".