Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

when teams are in competition with one another to land a big chip like this, they can get very stupid. i think doing anything to enhance the possibility that they all up the ante on one another is worth doing.

mostly i hate the 'he might get injured!' line of thinking, which is so pervasive - michael kay talks about it all the time, and he sounds like the complete pussywillow that he is.

Yes, the chance he gets injured in his next game is minuscule and when you think about it, not playing him based on it seems like a very weak move. However, just think about what would happen if despite those very low chances, he DID get hurt tomorrow and is out for 3 months. Waddell would be absolutely CRUCIFIED by the press and the fans. Everyone would be demanding his head and blasting him for trying to increase Kovalchuk's already super-high value at the possible expense of the future of his franchise. You think Atlanta has low attendance now? What do you think would happen if Waddell managed to lose Kovalchuk and didn't get anything for him in return.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the chance he gets injured in his next game is minuscule and when you think about it, not playing him based on it seems like a very weak move. However, just think about what would happen if despite those very low chances, he DID get hurt tomorrow and is out for 3 months. Waddell would be absolutely CRUCIFIED by the press and the fans. Everyone would be demanding his head and blasting him for trying to increase Kovalchuk's already super-high value at the possible expense of the future of his franchise. You think Atlanta has low attendance now? What do you think would happen if Waddell managed to lose Kovalchuk and didn't get anything for him in return.

Well...the Thrashers are in a playoff race too. And making the playoffs would probably go a long way in saving Waddell's job, although it's hard to say if he'll ever get fired.

This is why it should happen before the olympics

when teams are in competition with one another to land a big chip like this, they can get very stupid. i think doing anything to enhance the possibility that they all up the ante on one another is worth doing.

mostly i hate the 'he might get injured!' line of thinking, which is so pervasive - michael kay talks about it all the time, and he sounds like the complete pussywillow that he is.

By the same token, what if he has a horrible game? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine, what with his mind possibly being in L.A., Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Philly, New Jersey, etc. Does that hurt his value as much as a hat trick helps it?

By the same token, what if he has a horrible game? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine, what with his mind possibly being in L.A., Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Philly, New Jersey, etc. Does that hurt his value as much as a hat trick helps it?

No, one game does not matter either way. He could have a 3 goal, 3 assist game and be a + 7 or have no points and be a -8 and it would not matter. Everyone knows what he brings, it is well documented. He is one of the best forwards in the game and absolutely explosive. If he plays for ATL tomorrow, Waddell is being foolish or somehow believes Ilya will change his mind and re-sign.

Edited by ThreeCups

no, i don't think so - the guy's been told he's being traded.

multiple people at hf have said espnews claimed kovalchuk has been traded and its a done deal. they never mentioned any team.

man espn covering hockey :puke:

Was just going to post this. His ass better be on a flight to NJ as we speak.

and what an awful piece. they both go with Boston, who is going off a cliff and can't do anything as is. at least EJ qualifies it as them playing coy and swooping in.

now we're talking about Marty Biron's and Marty Turco's trade value. let me make this short for you, EJ, it's zero. zero.

The fact that he turned out the ATL offer shows that he doesnt just care about money because no team is going to offer him more money than ATL did. So, i dont think the reputation he has about not wanting to win or just wanting money are true. Maybe we could re-sign him afterall if we traded for him.

Edited by devlman

one of the morons 'covering' hockey for espnews mentioned not to forget about the flyers as atlanta had scouts there last week. hello? they have had scouts at 3 of our games including a lowell-hartford game! the bias against the devils is pissing me off, it will make it that much better when this goes through

one of the morons 'covering' hockey for espnews mentioned not to forget about the flyers as atlanta had scouts there last week. hello? they have had scouts at 3 of our games including a lowell-hartford game! the bias against the devils is pissing me off, it will make it that much better when this goes through

it's not bias, it's ESPN's sh!tty hockey coverage, which probably consists of Barnaby and Melrose sitting in a break room playing NHL 10 all day, in between their 3 appearences a week.

Dude, you seriously need to take a chill pill. All the guy said was not to forget about the Flyers as a possible destination. He's not under a journalistic obligation to mention in every single article about Kovalchuk that Atlanta had scouts at more Devils games. It has nothing to do with bias.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.