Ian Laperriere has brain contusion/concussion

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Shot blocking is more chance though... you really think a player slides and thinks I'M GONNA TAKE THIS IN THE FACE.... OH BOY!!!!!

you're hoping to get a shin or chest pad on it.... and yeah it hits them in the face ans a big OWIE ensues.... but admit it, it's the kinda stuff we LOVE about hockey players.... hell who forgets Daryl Sydor limping like a dying animal to get into the slot area during the 2000 playoffs???

If our team had one-tenth that level of want to win.... by golly WE COULDA MADE A GAME SIX!!! B )

Like anything else, there's an art to shot-blocking. And if you watch the replay, he really screwed it up. He and the rest of the team outmuscled and outhustled the Devils (Hey, I'm Clyde Frazier!), and they deserve credit.

Wierd huh. Kinda dumb blocking a shot with your face/head.

I understand putting it all on the line for your team, but if I see you sprawled out on the ice looking at me when I'm gonna shoot, I'm blasting it right at you. It's your tough sh!t if it hits you in the head.

Wow you're cool.

Shot blocking is more chance though... you really think a player slides and thinks I'M GONNA TAKE THIS IN THE FACE.... OH BOY!!!!!

you're hoping to get a shin or chest pad on it.... and yeah it hits them in the face ans a big OWIE ensues....

Yea exactly, can we stop acting like he was some fearless war hero and intended on stopping the puck with his face? I am sure he would have rather had that shot go through than hit him in the head.

Like anything else, there's an art to shot-blocking. And if you watch the replay, he really screwed it up.

It's a split-second moment when you decide to drop to block the shot, there's a lot that can go wrong in that moment, least of all being the player trying to adjust and get around the shot... yes there is an art to it but it's a VERY inexact science and the timing has to be good or bad things happen... or you just dove and took yourself out of the play too

Yea exactly, can we stop acting like he was some fearless war hero and intended on stopping the puck with his face? I am sure he would have rather had that shot go through than hit him in the head.

Exactly!

It's hockey, sh!t happens sometimes

This sentence sums it up perfectly. Gotta respect a guy willing to put his body on the line, no matter what colors he wears. Never wanna see a guy get hurt like this, hope he gets well soon.

My thoughts exactly. I made the exact comment right after we lost. I certainly couldnt see any Devil player making that kind of sacrifice in that series.

That being said that kind of play is dangerous, but man you gotta respect the heart the guy showed.

Hope he recovers well

Hope he gets better but if I am not mistaken is this not the second person this year to block a shot with their face? I know that they try for a shin or hip but you rele need to be off to take one in the head. Taking the game into consideration I commend him for doing it but at the same time now he does his team no good because he is out. Its a split second decision but I would have tried to prioritize blocking a shot that would make little difference or let it go and not become injured, miss the rest of the playoffs/end my career and alter my life. Now the shot is blocked but PHI needs to do without a key PK man for at least the rest of the playoffs.

you're hoping to get a shin or chest pad on it.... and yeah it hits them in the face ans a big OWIE ensues.... but admit it, it's the kinda stuff we LOVE about hockey players.... hell who forgets Daryl Sydor limping like a dying animal to get into the slot area during the 2000 playoffs???

If our team had one-tenth that level of want to win.... by golly WE COULDA MADE A GAME SIX!!! B )

Listen, he definitely didn't stand there going, "Ok and now I'm going to take this puck in the forehead. But I think he did make a split-second decision to take the puck in his face. He didn't know where it was going to hit him but he saw the puck come off Martin's stick and rise towards him and he didn't even flinch.

Edited by ben00rs

Listen, he definitely didn't stand there going, "Ok and now I'm going to take this puck in the forehead. But I think he did make a split-second decision to take the puck in his face. He didn't know where it was going to hit him but he saw the puck come off Martin's stick and rise towards him and he didn't even flinch.

There is no way in hell he intentionally took the shot in the face, whether it was a split-second decision or not. Of course he didn't flinch after Martin released the puck, he didn't have time to.

There is no way in hell he intentionally took the shot in the face, whether it was a split-second decision or not. Of course he didn't flinch after Martin released the puck, he didn't have time to.

Believe it or not professional hockey players see the puck come off the stick a lot better than you'd think they would. He knew where that puck was going to hit. When he slid to block the puck he probably wanted to get hit below his face in the leg or something. But once he moved wrong he new he was going to get hit somewhere in the face or neck. What's important to note here is not the argument we are having it's that he would probably do it over again given the choice.

watch it in slow motion and you'll see he saw it coming. (end of video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZHixpc_KoI

Edited by ben00rs

Believe it or not professional hockey players see the puck come off the stick a lot better than you'd think they would. He knew where that puck was going to hit. When he slid to block the puck he probably wanted to get hit below his face in the leg or something. But once he moved wrong he new he was going to get hit somewhere in the face or neck. What's important to note here is not the argument we are having it's that he would probably do it over again given the choice.

If he had the opportunity to get his face out of the way, he would have. He would do it again because at no point was he intending to get hit in the face.

If this were Rolston I guarantee not one person here would be talking about what a brave and selfless sacrifice it was. When Elias blocked a shot and hurt his ankle a couple years ago people on here were talking about what a dumb move it was for the captain to go down to block a shot when they were already up by 2 (or was it 3?) late in the game.

If he had the opportunity to get his face out of the way, he would have. He would do it again because at no point was he intending to get hit in the face.

If this were Rolston I guarantee not one person here would be talking about what a brave and selfless sacrifice it was. When Elias blocked a shot and hurt his ankle a couple years ago people on here were talking about what a dumb move it was for the captain to go down to block a shot when they were already up by 2 (or was it 3?) late in the game.

I certainly didn't call Elias stupid for doing that. It was annoying that he hurt himself though and I'm sure Flyers fans are annoyed Laperriere is hurt. Us Devils fans don't need to be annoyed because don't need him to play well for us. Secondly, your point about Rolston accidently outlines the point here. The point is Rolston wouldn't do that so we don't have to worry about having to call him selfless. We all liked what Lappy did so much because the Devils players wouldn't have done something like that.

I certainly didn't call Elias stupid for doing that. It was annoying that he hurt himself though and I'm sure Flyers fans are annoyed Laperriere is hurt. Us Devils fans don't need to be annoyed because don't need him to play well for us. Secondly, your point about Rolston accidently outlines the point here. The point is Rolston wouldn't do that so we don't have to worry about having to call him selfless. We all liked what Lappy did so much because the Devils players wouldn't have done something like that.

My point was everyone is jumping on the "Devils have no heart but everyone else does" bandwagon and that's why people are making the ridiculous assumption that Laperriere intentionally took the shot with his face; so people have something to point to as evidence of the Devils having less heart. If it were anyone on the Devils other than Parise and maybe a couple others, nobody would be talking about it being a great sacrifice, they would just call it what it is--a guy trying to block a shot and unfortunately couldn't get his face out of the way in time, or if it was Rolston people would just be calling him an idiot for not knowing how to block a shot.

EDIT: Just watched the video, when you watch it in real time in the beginning you can tell he had no chance to get his face out of the way.

Edited by devilsfan26

My point was everyone is jumping on the "Devils have no heart but everyone else does" bandwagon and that's why people are making the ridiculous assumption that Laperriere intentionally took the shot with his face; so people have something to point to as evidence of the Devils having less heart. If it were anyone on the Devils other than Parise and maybe a couple others, nobody would be talking about it being a great sacrifice, they would just call it what it is--a guy trying to block a shot and unfortunately couldn't get his face out of the way in time, or if it was Rolston people would just be calling him an idiot for not knowing how to block a shot.

EDIT: Just watched the video, when you watch it in real time in the beginning you can tell he had no chance to get his face out of the way.

I'm not on that bandwagon. I've criticized the Devils heart but I don't think they had no heart, they were just not the best team. I'm not into continually bashing my own team unless they really deserve it. I'm starting to think it's ridiculous what we are arguing over because only Laperriere knows the answer to that. However there is truth in that it is only called a sacrifice if you are the winning team. But I would call it a sacrifice on either side. Unfortunately the fact is that the Devils didn't give the body that much so we'll never know.

Edited by ben00rs

I don't think people are saying he used his face on purpose as much as that he cared to give his body to block a shot. No one takes a puck to the dome on purpose.