GDT: Devils @ Canadiens 1/14 - 7:30pm EST

Don

I've reached the point that, if the Devils get into the playoffs, I'll feel like they'll be playing with house money from that point on. Not having their first-rounder will be a lot less painful then. Might also get Schneider wrapped up earlier. And a taste of the playoffs for the young ones.

if we make the playoffs I'm honestly not scared of any eastern team other than Boston. Any other eastern team I'll take our chances against. Not saying we'll win but I think we have a decent shot against any of them.

if we make the playoffs I'm honestly not scared of any eastern team other than Boston. Any other eastern team I'll take our chances against. Not saying we'll win but I think we have a decent shot against any of them.

There's definitely a little bit of a dark horse feeling with the Devils.  Lots of "if"s, in that if (there's that word again) all of the "if"s come together (like Cory getting into a consistent .930-.940 groove, a guy like Zajac suddenly popping a few in out of nowhere), you could see this team winning a playoff round, maybe even two.  But they have to actually get there first, hope no one gets hurt, hope Elias is back and healthy, hope Jagr isn't spent, etc...

I would like to see what they could do in the playoffs. The Devils have some tools for grinding playoff hockey.... Good goaltending, strong defense, the ability to wear down another team. They just need that timely scoring and some damn consistency.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

8-3-4 in their last 15...that's a .667 point%.  They've done it kind of quietly (I think the fact that most of their games are such dogfights is part of the reason for that...10 of the 15 games have been either one-goal or shootout phantom one-goal games), so it's not like they've been beastly from a goal differential standpoint (and they don't really win pretty), and of course, there's two shootout losses, which continues to be a sore spot.  But I'll happily take .667 over a 15-game period any day.  And as I'm finding, a lot of individual numbers are a lot better than we would've thought. 

Some numbers over the 15 games:

8-3-4 record, 37 GF, 31 GA (33 if phantom shootout goals are added in).  5-1-4 in one-goal games

6-3 record in regulation

2-2 in OT

0-2 in the shootout

Schneider:  3-2-2, 195 SF, 181 SA, .928 save%

Brodeur:  5-1-2, 212 SF, 195 SA, .920 save% 

(There's been some duds here and there for both goalies, but they've actually been better lately overall than we've given them credit for.  They've combined for a .924 save% over these 15 games.) 

Ryder:  7 G, 4 A, 11 Pts, +3

Clowe:  (10 games)  1 G, 7 A, 8 Pts, +1

Henrique:  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, +6

Jagr:  3 G, 9 A, 12 Pts, +6

Zidlicky:  5 G, 6 A, 11 Pts, +8

Gelinas:  (13 games)  2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts, +1

Greene:  3 G, 5 A, 8 Pts, +3

Zubrus:  4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts, -1

Not jauggernaut stuff, and of course the above numbers don't tell the whole story, but they've been playing better than what they were for the balance of the 33 games that came before this, and the last 7 games of this stretch have been played without Elias.  They've been getting some goals from a number of sources.  There's reasons for optimism...I still wonder if this team can pull away from NHL .500, but the last 15 games at least hint at them being able to do that. 

20-14-7 in our last 41.  94 point pace over a full 82.

well jesus christ Schneider is starting next game.... wow..... Deboer is turning a corner there 

Where did you read that?  I hope he rides Schneider for a while.