GDT: Pens @ NJD 3/17/12

Devs4LordStanley

I saw we only got 12 SOG against Fleury. 12 SOG and 2 goals against. 39 SOG and 5 against Marty. Guaranteed: The SOG for us would have been closer to 39 this would have been a closer game.

What sucks is that this reminds me of 08-09. Crosby is out for a good amount of the regular season. Malkin picks up the slack. Crosby does next to nil in the playoffs and they win the cup and Crosby's stock goes up.

If I were Malkin I'd ask to go somewhere else, preferably New Jersey.

I saw we only got 12 SOG against Fleury. 12 SOG and 2 goals against. 39 SOG and 5 against Marty. Guaranteed: The SOG for us would have been closer to 39 this would have been a closer game.

What sucks is that this reminds me of 08-09. Crosby is out for a good amount of the regular season. Malkin picks up the slack. Crosby does next to nil in the playoffs and they win the cup and Crosby's stock goes up.

:blink: My goodness

That was a rough one yesterday. It's too bad too because the arena was packed and the crowd was buzzing. However, I had a feeling the Pens were going to come of the gate hard from the start because of the Devs' 3-1 record against them beforehand. And DeBoer made a comment the day before about this game not being any more important than the upcoming games versus NYR and the Senators -- which technically was true, but still, did not bode well for yesterday's game. My big concern right now is this team is not scoring goals lately. That's going to be a big problem if they don't get it figured out soon

CR76, how'd your little one enjoy the game? Was it her first one?

Hooray for Sykora on the 4th line! He had one of the worst games I ever saw today, he was lucky that rebound popped out to him and was on the ice for the Greene goal (coming out of the penalty box) that's why plus/minus is a bad indicator. He is good stationary with that bomb of a shot he has but is terrible when he skates. I find it hard to watch.

Yeaa was wondering in the begining of the season when he was going to fizzle out...

Those of you generals on here need to make a complaint on behalf of all devils fans. Currently on the DEVILS website there is a link for a " retro photo gallery " of 130 pictures. Its not a retro gallery, its a Sydney Crosby gallery. the last 50 f'n photes are solo shots of Sid. It's the most embarrassing thing ive ever seen. It the DEVILS website, how can any devils employee post all that?? Whoever it is should be fired immediately. I seriously hope someone who knows someone reports this crap!

One thing that is frustrating as hell is watching the top three lines cycle very well and try to thread a perfect pass instead of putting it on net when they get a chance.

Parise - and the team itself - needs to start scoring more Parise-like goals. Drive everything to the net and bang home rebounds.

This is one reason we only have 15 shots on goal per game, and it's been driving me nuts. Three guys behind the goal area bumping into each other trying to cycle and pass to each other, then finally bank the puck up to a useless shot from the point by one of our D-men.

The Pens always have one forward driving straight to the front of the net, looking for deflections or rebounds etc....and it works

Edited by hargsy

Today was only an optional skate? Why?

I forgot getting 14 shots on goal means you actually played a game the day before, oh wait..no it doesn't.

This is what I mean about PDB. These players need to work on their game more than ever right now.

This is when it matters. Work your ass off or go the fvck home.

Everyone knows the Rangers are probably going to play one of their best games of the year against us tomorrow.

They're pissed off, hate us, and want to stay in first place.

Hopefully the Devils go in there with a game plan of shooting more than 15 times on net or else don't even bother suiting up for the game.

I guess let the tough March schedule begin.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Today was only an optional skate? Why?

I forgot getting 14 shots on goal means you actually played a game the day before, oh wait..no it doesn't.

This is what I mean about PDB. These players need to work on their game more than ever right now.

This is when it matters. Work your ass off or go the fvck home.

Everyone knows the Rangers are probably going to play one of their best games of the year against us tomorrow.

They're pissed off, hate us, and want to stay in first place.

Hopefully the Devils go in there with a game plan of shooting more than 15 times on net or else don't even bother suiting up for the game.

I guess let the tough March schedule begin.

The tough March schedule has already begun, which is precisely why they had an optional skate today. You realize they've had a game every other day for about 2 weeks, right? DeBoer has to make sure he manages these guys so they don't burn the fvck out before the playoffs.

• Like 1

One thing that is frustrating as hell is watching the top three lines cycle very well and try to thread a perfect pass instead of putting it on net when they get a chance.

Parise - and the team itself - needs to start scoring more Parise-like goals. Drive everything to the net and bang home rebounds.

This.

i've been saying it for a long time but i never get answers or anyone with me on this... if you watch the devils play its so simple to know what they are doing.

it starts from the breakout, they'll either dump in or skate the puck in trying to squeeze between a guy and the boards... they'll never try to get in by the middle. And if they do make it pass the guy at the blue line they'll NEVER rush to the net like... i dont know Cole, Kessel or like Bure was doing. NEVER and EVER try to get it to the net beating the defender and cutting in front of the net... like i swear i can't remember a Devils player doing it since Zach when he scored against Colorado in 09 i think when he roofed it... you have Kovy who got the speed, size and strength to beat any defender but he's gonna skate the puck in and stop at the hash marks waiting for a trailing player to get in for a square pass... like 98% of the time.

i also hate how they slow down in the neutral zone with the puck, i like to watch teams like the leafs when they breakout its all speed and its fun to watch.

so then once they land in the offensive zone, the 3 forwards will be cycling the puck with all the guys pinned to the boards, straight time. Nobody in front of the net, how can you possibly score when you have 3 guys on the boards behind the net. Then eventually they'll get the puck to the dman who's strapped to the blueline and he's gonna take a shot to the net that the goalie will see coming no problem since theres nobody in front of him (they are all still in front of the net).

i mean we're doing alright and we're winning doing this... but its when youre losing and when you watch games that theres no scoring chances or opportunities at all... then its pissing you off to watch them play like that

edit: i forgot too, sometimes they'll go behind the net with speed, going around it and when they get on the other side they dont even look to see if there's an opportunity in front to just throw the puck at the net for a rebound off a defender/goalie or for a teammates... They'll pass it back to the dman and its like... they know since they cross the blueline on the other side that they'll give it to the dman on the other side, i swear they dont even take a look in front to see if there's an opportunity, THATS pissing me off real bad. its like they have to make those board plays and play around the middle and thats it, they rarely even TRY to make plays across the middle. And when they do its working pretty often and other teams is doing it all the time and its working

Edited by SterioDesign

Can anyone shed some light on why we had four misconducts and they had none? I was there, and sometimes it's hard to tell without the benefit of replay. It always looked like scrums where players from both teams were involved, but only the Devil would get the 10-minute cooloff. Were the Devils running their mouths to the refs?

Were the Devils running their mouths to the refs?

somebody needs to lately. Sure we got outplayed as Elias put it "gave them too much respect" (which is true, they got intimidated because of the Penguins recent success and the return - and protection - of Crysby) that they didn't play their game, BUT the refs did a horrible job in being fair in this game. I won't be convinced the penalty shot was fair, but since it didn't go in whatever. The misconducts, total BS especially since there were none given out to Penguins who deserved it. To me the Penguins aren't as bad as Philly, but not too far behind and they make up for it with the fact they actually do have skilled players (I can't believe I'm complementing the PENGUINS:puke: ) The refs let things go when they should have called something and clamped down when it wasn't needed because, as Chico state during the game "because the refs were afraid something might happen" - pre-emptiveness. I always hate when refs take that angle. What do they have, a crystal ball or something?

somebody needs to lately. Sure we got outplayed as Elias put it "gave them too much respect" (which is true, they got intimidated because of the Penguins recent success and the return - and protection - of Crysby) that they didn't play their game, BUT the refs did a horrible job in being fair in this game. I won't be convinced the penalty shot was fair, but since it didn't go in whatever. The misconducts, total BS especially since there were none given out to Penguins who deserved it. To me the Penguins aren't as bad as Philly, but not too far behind and they make up for it with the fact they actually do have skilled players (I can't believe I'm complementing the PENGUINS:puke: ) The refs let things go when they should have called something and clamped down when it wasn't needed because, as Chico state during the game "because the refs were afraid something might happen" - pre-emptiveness. I always hate when refs take that angle. What do they have, a crystal ball or something?

As much as Chico seems to make it up as he's going sometimes, he might've hit the nail on the head there. This is the only mention I can find from Gulitti, starting with Clarkson's misconduct which came after the Salvador/Malkin/Brodeur mess behind the cage:

“I just saw Marty down and I saw Malkin there, so I figured it was him,” Clarkson said. “So, I just went in to more give a shove.”

Clarkson got two minutes for roughing, two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct and a 10-minute misconduct, which ended his afternoon.

Clarkson’s 10-minute misconduct was one of four assessed to Devils in the third period. Eric Boulton (9:00), Ryan Carter (13:35) and Steve Bernier (13:35) also received 10-minute misconducts.

No Penguins received any 10-minutes misconducts in the period.

“I don’t know,” DeBoer said when asked about discrepancy. “I think the referee was trying to diffuse and fights at the end, so he was just throwing guys out.”

Carter said he received no explanation for his misconduct.

“They didn’t say anything,” Carter said. “The ref’s discretion, I guess.”

That maybe clears up the Clarky misconduct (and it still seems unwarranted), but the other three? Something stinks.