Halak traded to St.Louis

CRASHER

Oh I see, it was a magic wand that all of sudden made Montreal's mediocre defense into an "incredible" one. The Habs got crushed every game in the playoffs statistically. I was Halak who made the big saves, inspite of his defense.

Key line: "statistically." Statistics don't tell the whole story, you should know that. Anyone who knows anythings about hockey knows the importance of the goalie has deteriorated in the last couple years and anyone who watched the Habs in the playoffs know that they played well AS A TEAM. MTL allowed the shots they wanted to allow but Halak was very good. If you want to talk about statistics, why don't you compare how many shots the MTL players blocked. One game they had 41 blocked shots and I'm not even sure that was their most.

Montreal was outplayed in a bunch of games against Pittsburgh and Washington. Halak was a big difference, making over 40 saves a few times, and over 50 at least once. Price hasn't been able to show he can handle that pressure yet.

That being said, I think moving Halak while he was at such a high value was a smart move, but I'm shocked they didn't get just a little more for him.

This is fair.

Edited by ben00rs

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

No, Halak was extremely strong for the Habs and if he were not playing out of his mind, they would've been out early. He didn't have two bad games in a row til Philthy. He made the pourous Hab D look ok by making 40 saves over and over.

At least now we can dismiss Marty for Price trade.

No, actually, now Montreal NEEDS a Brody!! giggle.gif

No, Halak was extremely strong for the Habs and if he were not playing out of his mind, they would've been out early. He didn't have two bad games in a row til Philthy. He made the pourous Hab D look ok by making 40 saves over and over.

No, actually, now Montreal NEEDS a Brody!! giggle.gif

I'm sorry but the MTL defense was terrific. It took until the Penguin series for everyone to catch on but by the end of the Caps series, the announcers were gushing over how well the MTL defense was playing. Halak was really good and made a lot of saves. The Montreal D carried that team. Saying Halak was the reason they weren't out early is too simple an analysis of the team. Don't watch the game from the scoresheets.

Key line: "statistically." Statistics don't tell the whole story, you should know that. Anyone who knows anythings about hockey knows the importance of the goalie has deteriorated in the last couple years and anyone who watched the Habs in the playoffs know that they played well AS A TEAM. MTL allowed the shots they wanted to allow but Halak was very good. If you want to talk about statistics, why don't you compare how many shots the MTL players blocked. One game they had 41 blocked shots and I'm not even sure that was their most.

This is fair.

OMG. Nevermind just continue to contradict yourself depending upon who is responding.

OMG. Nevermind just continue to contradict yourself depending upon who is responding.

No contradiction or bias here. I have no problem with you. DevilDan I don't think I've even agreed with often. But the argument that Halak did make a difference is true...he just wasn't vital. But what I was more referring to with "This is fair" was his assertion that A. Carey Price will actually be detrimental to the team and that's the real issue here. And B. Whatever the case, MTL made a bad decision because they could have gotten more for Halak. Which I don't know if that is true but is certainly a legit opinion.

Edited by ben00rs

No contradiction or bias here. I have no problem with you. DevilDan I don't think I've even agreed with often. But the argument that Halak did make a difference is true...he just wasn't vital. But what I was more referring to with "This is fair" was his assertion that A. Carey Price will actually be detrimental to the team and that's the real issue here. And B. Whatever the case, MTL made a bad decision because they could have gotten more for Halak. Which I don't know if that is true but is certainly a legit opinion.

I just think that with supposedly San Jose, Tampa, and Philly in the running, I'm surprised that's the package that won out. I figured they'd wait till draft day maybe and see if someone panics.

BTW, I want Price to do well. I think he's a great goalie, but this trade really really puts the pressure on him.

lol at the Montreal defense being terrific when they were allowing forty shots a game. Maybe it was a fluke run from Halak but geez, the Habs already got burned trading Huet after he had some success there, now they're gonna do it again for a kid who's already proven he can't handle Montreal? It's going to be even worse for Price now that they trade Halak after this magical run.