It has been awhile...(2013 Starting Roster Discussion)

Mayday

Forgive me for starting a new thread but assuming the NHL and PA compromise for a Jan. 19th start what is the team looking like? Its been awhile and we are still looking at the departures of Poni and Parise. Along with that I don't know if Volchenkov and Zajac (I think he is injured) are recovered from their injuries.

Right now:

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Zubrus

Elias - Henrique - Clarkson

??? - Josefson - ???

Bernier - Gionta - Carter

Greene - Larsson

Tallinder - Fayne

Salvador/Volchenkov - Zidlicky

MB

Moose

Barch and Janssen are not going to be 3rd liners and shifting 2 of the 3 4th liners up is risky, plus gives us a crappy 4th line.

On the D, too me Fayne/Larsson should be ready for top 4 roles, add in Greene/Tallinder/Zidlicky and then one of Volchenkov/Salvador to top it off. In the end I think the D corps are fine for this year (if we have a season). Nothing spectacular but a strong top 6 from top to bottom.

I'm just trying to see the team and how we are looking. Obviously, keeping Ponikarovsky would of been awesome.

If Lou doesn't make any transaction I would guess a 3rd line of:

Tedenby-Josefson-Butler

I'm comfortable with JJ but those wingers are worrisome defenseively.

Any ideas?

Edited by Mayday

Zajac's not hurt, Henrique is and probably won't be in the lineup at the start of the season. Butler seems to be doing well down in Albany so he could fill one of the ? positions up front. Maybe they re-sign Sykora or trade Tallinder for another winger, though Volch's injury and the shortness of the season probably compels them to hang with eight D for a while until the deadline at least.

Just saying, Semin would've looked good on the second line for 5m/ year or whatever he signed for. Just for the pure goal scoring ability.<br /><br />David Clarkson as a 2nd line winger makes me borderline nauseas

Edited by Devilsfan118

FWIW, Tedenby is doing terrible in Albany - 5 goals, 11 points in 26 games. I think it's more likely that the Devils will try Ryan Carter as the 3rd line wing with perhaps Harri Pesonen getting some time on the 4th.

Even if Semin is a healthy scratch, which I doubt as he has 15 points in 18 games and the KHL is typically stingier with points than the NHL, he's got a $7M contract in the NHL for when he gets back.

Edited by Triumph

Assuming everyone is healthy (I know Henrique isn't but still..) here's what I see:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson

Volchenkov (Salvador)-Zidlicky

Remember, whenever this thing gets underway, the Devils are still going to have too many defenseman. Harrold will be on the big squad as well which gives us 8 D-men for 6 spots.

I think Lou will still sign Sykora because it really seems as if Tedenby isn't making that next step. Here's another choice:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora

Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

As far as free agents go, Huselius is still out there, as is Arnott, Knuble, Dom Moore... There are some RFAs still out there like Ryan O'Reilly, Michael Del Zotto... and so on. All I am saying is that there is going to be a lot of movement once this thing finally get settled. The Devils could trade a defenseman or two... or a prospect like Urbom for someone's rights... or trade Tallinder and sign Huselius.. something..

I will say I am very nervous about a lower cap with Lou having to re-sign Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Zubrus, Butler, Zidlicky, Harrold...

As far as free agents go, Huselius is still out there, as is Arnott, Knuble, Dom Moore... There are some RFAs still out there like Ryan O'Reilly, Michael Del Zotto... and so on. All I am saying is that there is going to be a lot of movement once this thing finally get settled. The Devils could trade a defenseman or two... or a prospect like Urbom for someone's rights... or trade Tallinder and sign Huselius.. something..

I will say I am very nervous about a lower cap with Lou having to re-sign Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Zubrus, Butler, Zidlicky, Harrold...

plus we'll have to sign a good free agent in the next few years cause we really don't have what it takes in our system to cover for the losses for this summer plus Brodeur... Elias... Zubrus... etc etc all leaving soon. Look look at teams in our division and they are all young and really good and have young superstars coming up.. we don't. And as much we love Zajac and how underated he can be... not sure he'll resign, plus Travis would probly be 2nd center on a bunch of teams too... im a bit worried about our future to be honest when im looking at teams all around the league and how they are built compared to us

wayyyyyy too many questions marks for the next few years... Post-Brodeur? Post-Lou? Post-Elias? its certainly now too bright

Edited by SterioDesign

You shouldn't be. NJ is in a tremendous spot. Look around the league and you will find that most teams are much worse off.

You shouldn't be. NJ is in a tremendous spot. Look around the league and you will find that most teams are much worse off.

Definitely this. So many teams will be pressed against the cap and we will have a lot of breathing room to sign key guys.

I would be fine with this lineup.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora ?

Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

The question mark will be if we can find a suitable trade/free agent to be an adequate 2nd or 3rd line winger instead of signing Sykora or playing Tedenby. I like what Butler can bring to the table and I think if he plays with Zajac or Elias he would have a solid year and we have to remember that Lou signed Butler with the intention of him being a top 6 guy so he will definitely get his chances. We dont look as bad as it seems because in my opinion with this group of guys and Deboer's system we will have another good year. Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Edited by Zubie#8

plus we'll have to sign a good free agent in the next few years cause we really don't have what it takes in our system to cover for the losses for this summer plus Brodeur... Elias... Zubrus... etc etc all leaving soon. Look look at teams in our division and they are all young and really good and have young superstars coming up.. we don't. And as much we love Zajac and how underated he can be... not sure he'll resign, plus Travis would probly be 2nd center on a bunch of teams too... im a bit worried about our future to be honest when im looking at teams all around the league and how they are built compared to us

wayyyyyy too many questions marks for the next few years... Post-Brodeur? Post-Lou? Post-Elias? its certainly now too bright

Why would you think Zajac wouldn't re-sign?

Being a 2nd line center on other teams = 2nd line center money. He can be the #1 guy here and get more money.

Maybe he'd want to play closer to home, maybe he's dreaming too of playing with another dude somehwere in the NHL and they'll sign together somewhere

I have to say one of my best friends is from Winnipeg.. .and I've never heard of anyone from Winnipeg that has the chance to leave and never come back and actually says "Nah, I'll stay in Winnipeg"

Zajac maintains an off-season home in Winnipeg but it's exactly that - off-season. I know Parise's going back home, but it would be x100 if Zajac went to Winnipeg.

And if Zajac wants to play with someone, the Devils have the money to bring that person here. Pretty sure New Jersey's got the edge on Winnipeg in that regard.

I have to say one of my best friends is from Winnipeg.. .and I've never heard of anyone from Winnipeg that has the chance to leave and never come back and actually says "Nah, I'll stay in Winnipeg"

I think a lot of people will be feeling the Parise sting for a long time. Very few players actually decide to 'go home'. And even fewer go home and have it work out for them. I expect the same reaction when Henrique becomes a UFA for the first time, and people fear that Toronto will sign him.

I don't think we know anything about Zajac. I think if he became UFA when Atlanta first moved to Winnipeg that would of been his high point to move. Not everyone decides to go to their hometown club. Toronto apparently showed a lot of interest in Clarkson, but he stayed here. I see Zajac as a bit more loyal to the club than Parise. Parise just didn't want to go play in Minny, but he also wanted to play with Suter. I also think Zajac has been treated rather well by the Devils whereas there was some frustration in Parise with the coaching turnovers and what-not.

I don't think we know anything about Zajac. I think if he became UFA when Atlanta first moved to Winnipeg that would of been his high point to move. Not everyone decides to go to their hometown club. Toronto apparently showed a lot of interest in Clarkson, but he stayed here. I see Zajac as a bit more loyal to the club than Parise. Parise just didn't want to go play in Minny, but he also wanted to play with Suter. I also think Zajac has been treated rather well by the Devils whereas there was some frustration in Parise with the coaching turnovers and what-not.

Clarkson never went UFA. I don't know where this 'Clarkson to Toronto' stuff got started, but apparently it won't end until his career does.

Let's not forget that both of Zajac's professional hockey playing brothers are doing so in the Devils' organization. While neither is on an NHL contract and could be snapped up by another team at season's end, I imagine it's nice the family that all of them are playing within a 250 mile radius.

Clarkson never went UFA. I don't know where this 'Clarkson to Toronto' stuff got started, but apparently it won't end until his career does.

It came from the same place as the Parise to Minnesota came from. Marty to Montreal, Madden to Toronto, and every single UFA the Devils have ever had to the Rangers all came from there, too. It's all bull, but since Parise went to Minny and Rafalski went to Detroit, we're gonna have to hear it every time someone approaches free agency.