It has been awhile...(2013 Starting Roster Discussion)

Mayday

Should be interesting to see how the lines shake out given we are heavy at Center. I wonder if Elias stays there or is shifted back over to winger....I think this is the one part of the short season I hate, less time to get your lines sorted out. This all being said, I fealt the devils run in the playoffs was due to their depth from the farm and the engery that brought into our forchecking system. I think the mold is rolling 4 lines and having the dept to lose 2-3 players and still plug the holes.

Just stumbled across Sykora talking to the Ledger about coming back. Should be interesting to see if he does and if a short season helps or hurts him. My primary concern is the areas where Parise excelled; "garbage goals" (really just owning the crease), the forecheck, PK (especially shorthand opportunities), and the shootout. I fealt our identity was owning the boards and crease and having a really aggresive PK that you had to respect for taking you the other way. Short season alot of parts to shuffle so it should be interesting.

If no changes are made to this roster, I would be happy with just making the playoffs this season. Not having Parise is a huge hole to fill on so many levels, I just don't see how they overcome it unless a big trade is in the works.

There should be a ton of player movement once they officially sign the CBA. I hope Lou can pull off a steal or two.

I think there is just going to be a huge backdrop in regards to shedding salaries/players over the next year so it should be interesting to see if we take a shot at someone out of the blue to fll a hole. I just hope we are gelled well enough to start the season and don't fall in a hole with such a short time. Here's for a repeat of 95 =-)

Good to be back.

The obvious move that is necessary is to trade one of the top 4 or top 6 d-men to a team with depth at forward:

- As it stands now, Larsson is the 7th d-man. I'd rather him stay in Albany if that is the case and use Harrold as #7.

- The Devils only have 5 current NHL forwards under contract for next year (Kovy, Carter, Bernier, Barch [ugh] and Gionta). Add in Henrique and Josefon (RFA's), and you still only have 7 players under team control past this year. They NEED long term help at forward, regardless of position.

I'm fully expecting the fourth line to consistently feature a goon and be a general throwaway line like it usually is in the regular seasons around here. I'm also fully expecting this board to bitch and moan about it endlessly.

Not saying I like or dislike these things. Just saying I expect them.

Hearing Parise's name right before Kovy scores a lot of his goals is a little scary. I know Zajac will do well with Kovy but I hope missing Parise doesn't hurt as much as I think it will.

I wouldn't be ok with sucking for a good spot in the draft. Just me :unsure:

Edited by NJDevils1214

I'm fully expecting the fourth line to consistently feature a goon and be a general throwaway line like it usually is in the regular seasons around here. I'm also fully expecting this board to bitch and moan about it endlessly.

Not saying I like or dislike these things. Just saying I expect them.

I will make this pledge. I will not bitch about dressing 1 goon - this is the unfortunate way of the NHL, that even though having a goon doesn't seem to make any sense at all, teams have decided they need one.

I will however bitch about players like Tim Sestito ever being on the roster. Or Brad Mills. Stephen Gionta I barely tolerate. These players do not belong in the NHL and turn a 4th line into a sinkhole. I will also not tolerate 2 goons being dressed unless the other team does same.

The 4th line didn't score a goal until like, game 78 last year. They weren't on ice for One. Goal. That's totally unacceptable, and it's basically happened 2 years in a row now. It's hard and maybe undesirable to have a great 4th line, but you can definitely do better than New Jersey's done. Rod Pelley was a minimum salary player and was bad, but so was Dean McAmmond and McAmmond was great.

Edited by Triumph

Hearing Parise's name right before Kovy scores a lot of his goals is a little scary. I know Zajac will do well with Kovy but I hope missing Parise doesn't hurt as much as I think it will.

I wouldn't be ok with sucking for a good spot in the draft. Just me :unsure:

i could watch this a thousand times and it would be not enough

I'm psyched to have hockey back, and just let me be the first to say..I wouldn't mind sucking horribly this abbreviated year, if it gave us a shot at Mackinnon.

I hate to get all MantaRay, but with the roster we currently have it's a definite possibility of us being in on McKinnon or Jones.

I hate to get all MantaRay, but with the roster we currently have it's a definite possibility of us being in on McKinnon or Jones.

You're wrong. Teams who end up at the bottom almost never have the kind of defense the Devils do. Even if the goaltending is .890, the Devils should be a .500 team just by virtue of that alone. .500 doesn't get you in the playoffs with all the free points the NHL hands out, but it doesn't put you in line for a top pick.

You're wrong. Teams who end up at the bottom almost never have the kind of defense the Devils do. Even if the goaltending is .890, the Devils should be a .500 team just by virtue of that alone. .500 doesn't get you in the playoffs with all the free points the NHL hands out, but it doesn't put you in line for a top pick.

all 14 non-playoff teams have a shot at the top pick now, right?

Great. So that just kind of leaves us in limbo or Minnesota Wild territory.