GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

Awful 2nd and 3rd period. The game looked so so promising after 1.  It was a huge disappointment..  We have a surplus of D men and they all blow. Volchenkov, who we and I especially chastised after last season, has been our best D. 

Marty gave up a few softies, but no way was this all on him.  I personally, would have pulled Marty after 4 or even 5-3.  We're not making the playoffs, guys.. It hurts to come to that realization, but we're not good enough.  We need a goal scorer. We don't have one. 

Awful 2nd and 3rd period. The game looked so so promising after 1.  It was a huge disappointment..  We have a surplus of D men and they all blow. Volchenkov, who we and I especially chastised after last season, has been our best D. 

Marty gave up a few softies, but no way was this all on him.  I personally, would have pulled Marty after 4 or even 5-3.  We're not making the playoffs, guys.. It hurts to come to that realization, but we're not good enough.  We need a goal scorer. We don't have one.

volchenkov our best D? .. i dont know if you saw it but one of the goals on brodeur tonight was his fault he decided to push one of the rangers clean into brodeur knocking him over and then poof goal

Scary thought.  I'm hoping Lou and PDB are smarter than that.  Even if PDB doesn't believe in save%, he should believe in Cory being better.  If he can't see that, he shouldn't be coaching this team anymore.

The turn already began before this. Cory started 6 of 8 for the stretch before today including both halves of a back to back. It slowly became Cory's job, and today solidified it. Marty needs to make the right call this summer, or Lou has to for him. 

The turn already began before this. Cory started 6 of 8 for the stretch before today including both halves of a back to back. It slowly became Cory's job, and today solidified it. Marty needs to make the right call this summer, or Lou has to for him. 

This is still only 62 games over a full season,, and Brodeur started today.  The split needs to be starker than that.  Brodeur should get 1 game before the season stops - Nashville on the road.  That's it.  I can guarantee he will get 2 games coming up before the Olympic break.

Yes and no.  The turn has started partly because Cory has been SO lights-out lately that he hasn't given PDB any choice.  What happens if Cory has a meh game and gives up four goals?  (This happens to everyone eventually.)  I would hope PDB doesn't go running to Marty under such circumstances, but sadly I can absolutely see him doing that.  And I'll be beyond infuriated if he does.   

This is still only 62 games over a full season,, and Brodeur started today.  The split needs to be starker than that.  Brodeur should get 1 game before the season stops - Nashville on the road.  That's it.  I can guarantee he will get 2 games coming up before the Olympic break.

Agree, but I get the feeling Marty gets the Oilers too. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

still funny that Lou and Debo who preaching the "logo at the front and not the name on the back thing" are going out of their way with Brodeur so often though, cause the only reason he was in net in some games this year was because of his name plate.

Again i didnt mind that he was in net yesterday but im talking about the many times he was in net and that it should have been Schneider

still funny that Lou and Debo who preaching the "logo at the front and not the name on the back thing" are going out of their way with Brodeur so often though, cause the only reason he was in net in some games this year was because of his name plate.

Again i didnt mind that he was in net yesterday but im talking about the many times he was in net and that it should have been Schneider

He definitely got a longer leash, no question, and sometimes unfairly so.  I'm willing to give PDB a pass on that (this was going to be a difficult transition), as long as it's now Schneider who gets the longer leash...as in, if Cory has a meh game, he gets the next one to bounce back.  Or if Marty plays well in a spot start, he doesn't automatically get the next one.   

Scary thought. I'm hoping Lou and PDB are smarter than that. Even if PDB doesn't believe in save%, he should believe in Cory being better. If he can't see that, he shouldn't be coaching this team anymore.

Neither Lou or Deboer know what they are doing. The old Lou never would have allowed Brodeur to keep this charade up. Hopefully once Brodeur retires this offseason Lou does as well as has been the rumored promise he made to Brodeur on his previous contract that he'd stay as long as Brodeur did. Perhaps that's why Lou keeps allowing this nonsense.

I'm willing to give PDB a pass on that (this was going to be a difficult transition), as long as it's now Schneider who gets the longer leash...as in, if Cory has a meh game, he gets the next one to bounce back.  Or if Marty plays well in a spot start, he doesn't automatically get the next one.   

Well, who played after Marty put up the W in Montreal?

Well, who played after Marty put up the W in Montreal?

I know, but I still wonder.

Im going to approach this as "oh well, its marty's last year"  he certainly isnt playing like a #1 NHL goalie right now, the game has moved on to the tall butterfly. the acrobatic highlights were fun but give me a "quiet, space filler" . and I retract my "backup offer" to marty. he's clearly not a spot start goalie at this point.  I felt sorry for him yesterday, but Im only going to feel sorry this year! next year he better be gone.  btw, yesterday was just one game, the boys need to get back on the ice fast and put it behind them once jagr thaws out

If Cory gets the bulk of the starts I believe we can squeak into the postseason

He definitely got a longer leash, no question, and sometimes unfairly so.  I'm willing to give PDB a pass on that (this was going to be a difficult transition), as long as it's now Schneider who gets the longer leash...as in, if Cory has a meh game, he gets the next one to bounce back.  Or if Marty plays well in a spot start, he doesn't automatically get the next one.   

This is the solution IMHO

Cory needs to get the lion's share of the starts, regardless if he has a bad outing or Marty has a great one

i agree, but only because they've got two weeks off. he'll get one of the caps/oilers games. so 4/2 split to cory. unless cory stays red hot and then, perhaps, debo just rides him.

Yes and no.  The turn has started partly because Cory has been SO lights-out lately that he hasn't given PDB any choice.  What happens if Cory has a meh game and gives up four goals?  (This happens to everyone eventually.)  I would hope PDB doesn't go running to Marty under such circumstances, but sadly I can absolutely see him doing that.  And I'll be beyond infuriated if he does.   

Agree, but I get the feeling Marty gets the Oilers too. 

We saw what happened last time and Brodeur was a hot mess and let in softy after softy as we blew a 3-0 lead. Brodeur blew the game completely at 4-3 and only a miraculous shorthanded goal late got it to 4-4. Brodeur then proceeded to embarrass himself in the shootout.

Edmonton is a fast team...Brodeur can't handle that. He doesn't have the reflexes anymore.

Edited by '7'

Does anyone know where I can get some of the Stadium Series gear like the wool hats the players and PDB were wearing yesterday and those Devils socks the players were wearing before their practice? Does the Den have that stuff?

Not sure where you live, but the Stadium Shop in the Gateway Center in Newark carries a ton of Devils stuff and is good for having things like those hats (I doubt you'll find the socks though.  The Den might have them too, but I don't remember seeing those hats when I was in there the other night.

Does anyone know where I can get some of the Stadium Series gear like the wool hats the players and PDB were wearing yesterday and those Devils socks the players were wearing before their practice? Does the Den have that stuff?

I've got to say, that jacket Deboer was wearing during the game yesterday (actually the jackets worn by both head coaches) was pretty sharp.