NFL 2013 Off Season - cap hits, franchise tags, draft prep

MantaRay

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welker to Denver a done deal.  I know you can never count them out, but this has to hurt the Patriots.  Maybe they go after Cruz or draft Keenan Alllen or Tavon Austin.

Denver's receiving corps is truly loaded now. I had the joy of having Peyton, Decker, and Thomas all on my championship-winning fantasy team last season and they were all awesome.

Pats signed Amendola; if he can stay healthy, which is sort of a huge if, I fully expect him to become the new Welker under Brady.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't think Welker effects NE that much, Welker was pretty much being phased out and they haven't won a championship since they got him.   

Hard not to love Welker if you're a NE fan, but sometimes, you have to change the dynamic of your locker room.  I'm not blaming Welker for the Pats' shortcomings in recent playoff seasons, but I think change is not necessarily a bad thing.   

In fairness, he wasn't really being "phased out"...he had 118 catches last year, and 72 first downs, and that was after the Pats weren't going to him much early on.  On the flip side, weeks 3-6 were monster weeks stats-wise, but his numbers from Week 7 on weren't huge.  He was always the go-to guy though, the guy Brady could count on even if he had a quiet first half.  I'm not going to say the Pats will move on seamlessly, but I do think it's not going to be Armageddon in NE by any stretch.  Brady managed to get his team into an AFC Championship game with Reche Friggin' Caldwell as his #1 receiver (a key Caldwell drop forced the Pats to punt near the end of the game...the completely gassed Patriot D had nothing left...Manning did the rest).  I think Brady will find a way to make do with whatever he's got. 

Amendola seems risky, in that he's only played 12 games in the last two seasons.  But I want to see what else the Pats do before judging this offseason. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I swear half the reason that the Pats signed Amendola is because Belichek already has him listed as questionable since he loves to stack his injury report......Personally I think Welker's an idiot for leaving the perfect situation for him, but this might be good for the Pats as they have to look to someone else on 3rd downs which might open up that offense just a bit......

*edits*.....God I love this site :lol:

http://profootballmock.com/wes-welker-signs-with-broncos-as-part-of-diabolical-bill-belichick-plot-to-steal-denvers-signals/

Edited by CRASHER

CR: he was being phased out, if you did not have such injuries to Eldemen, Hernandez and Gronk his numbers would have been way down last year.

Early in the season I remember him joking about his playing time with reporters about BB.

I knew he was done in NE after that.

Edited by MantaRay

Pollard to TItans.  Great move for them.   I pray to Odin we don't play Tenn.  next year.

No...but you do get the return of Ed Reed to Baltimore next year (with the Texans) lol - assuming that's a done deal the way it was speculated to be yesterday.

http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-13/2013-baltimore-ravens-football-schedule.php

Edited by NJDevs4978

CR: he was being phased out, if you did not have such injuries to Eldemen, Hernandez and Gronk his numbers would have been way down last year.

Early in the season I remember him joking about his playing time with reporters about BB.

I knew he was done in NE after that.

Yeah they definitely 'tried' to phase Welker out early but eventually they were forced to roll with him again after Hernandez got hurt.

Yeah they definitely 'tried' to phase Welker out early but eventually they were forced to roll with him again after Hernandez got hurt.

I wonder if that was BB, trying to get his stats down, so he would be more negotiable after the season.

First Dumervil for 5 years, now Michael Huff on 3/$6MM.  Not a complete disaster offseason for the Ravens all things considered, even if they still need to replace Boldin somehow.    

Agreed.  I was reading we signed three players on D for the same price Cleveland is paying Kruger next year.   Good for us.

We still need a lot of help at Linebacker.   My greatest fear is that our Defense ranks in the top 10 and our offense moves several steps backward.  Flacco become "average Joe"  without Boldin.   Re-watching the playoffs on NFL network makes me cringe after every great play that Boldin makes to keep the chains moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Rolando McClain could soon have a new team - the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that McClain's representatives have been discussing a contract with the Ravens and are scheduled to meet today to see if they can work out an agreement.

At least we addressing the defense this offseason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tebow to the Patriots lol.  Watch them actually use him the way he should have been used this year.

Perhaps Woody, Rex and Idzik should take notes and see how a competently run organization handles it.

And I'm happy for Tebow.  While he ought to be mature enough to grasp the reasons for attention he gets, he really did everything the Jets and Broncos asked of him and never complained.  It's certainly a lot better than his Jets teammates that are willing to bash others to reporters anonomously. 

im beyond sick of Tim Tebow, and part of it isn't his fault.  Yes, i think he is trash, but more so is the unbelievable coverage of the guy.  I can't sit through it, it enrages me.

The guy is a bench player at-best, and he gets more coverage than half the starting QBs in the league. its absurd

im beyond sick of Tim Tebow, and part of it isn't his fault.  Yes, i think he is trash, but more so is the unbelievable coverage of the guy.  I can't sit through it, it enrages me.

The guy is a bench player at-best, and he gets more coverage than half the starting QBs in the league. its absurd

It's not as unique to Tebow as you think.  Mark Sanchez gets a lot more headlines than Eli Mannning.  The Favre watch on espn was perhaps the most nauseating overdone coverage that I can remember. 

Don't know who is old enough here to remember the SNL skit of "Buckwheat has been shot"