2014 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

I don't know. I think Stills, Jennings, Landry & Parker could be pretty tough on opposing teams CB's.

Yeah I agree. I loved the Parker pick. He's been compared to AJ Green. Tannehill needed a guy who can be a true #1, and Parker has that potential. And he caught EVERYTHING in college. 'Catch radius' is the buzz term with Parker, and by all accounts it's tremendous. The Phillips pick is boom or bust- everything I've read on him says he's an absolute freak of an athlete, but the work ethic is questionable. We'll see soon enough I guess... All I know is IF Phillips hits and turns out to be the real deal, him and Suh will be beastly together. Edited by MadDog2020

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phins have apparently met with La'el Collins, or will be. That would be enormous if they signed him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now it's coming out that according to the agent, there have been no formal meetings with teams, but Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson, Kelvin Shepherd, and Pouncey flew down to Louisiana to meet with Collins. Johnson, Landry, and Collins were all in the same recruiting class at LSU. Apparently teams can't 'officially' meet with him until May 9. Edited by MadDog2020

Now it's coming out that according to the agent, there have been no formal meetings with teams with teams, but Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson, Kelvin Shepherd, and Pouncey flew down to Louisiana to meet with Collins. Johnson, Landry, and Collins were all in the same recruiting class. Apparently teams can't 'officially' meet with him until May 9.

Yep, though apparently Rex Ryan somehow had him for dinner, or so the rumor goes.

Jump all over this guy May 9th, assuming nothing negative comes out in the meantime.  Guard is one of those spots on the roster where competition is necessary.

Yep, though apparently Rex Ryan somehow had him for dinner, or so the rumor goes.

Jump all over this guy May 9th, assuming nothing negative comes out in the meantime. Guard is one of those spots on the roster where competition is necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex did 'have him' for dinner [emoji14] (sorry, Rex eating jokes are just too easy lol). But yeah I agree that Collins is a must sign, assuming he's not Rae Carruth. Edited by MadDog2020

• 2 weeks later...

Tannehill gets a 6 year extension- $96 million, $45 million guaranteed. He's OFFICIALLY the man now. Time to ride or die.

@ArmandoSalguero: Ryan Tannehill gets $45 million in guaranteed money, per league source: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/05/ryan-tannehill-signs-contract-extension-through-2020.html

Edited by MadDog2020

Tannehill gets a 6 year extension- $96 million, $45 million guaranteed. He's OFFICIALLY the man now. Time to ride or die.

@ArmandoSalguero: Ryan Tannehill gets $45 million in guaranteed money, per league source: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/05/ryan-tannehill-signs-contract-extension-through-2020.html

Seems like the kind of deal that the Dolphins can get out of without that much pain if it turns out he's not the guy. And if he and the team absolutely crap the bed, the team isn't in too deep that we couldn't draft a QB to take his spot. The only established QB that's available that would theoretically be available and that would be an improvement is Rivers, and I'd rather just tear everything down than take a shot at him.

So even though high I have my issues with Tannehill, I'm ok with this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the kind of deal that the Dolphins can get out of without that much pain if it turns out he's not the guy. And if he and the team absolutely crap the bed, the team isn't in too deep that we couldn't draft a QB to take his spot. The only established QB that's available that would theoretically be available and that would be an improvement is Rivers, and I'd rather just tear everything down than take a shot at him.

So even though high I have my issues with Tannehill, I'm ok with this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good, team-friendly deal. I'm very happy with it.

Also happy with the contract.  I think we see significant improvement in the next two years for Tannehill. with the only caveat being the fact that he has a whole flock of new pass-catchers that may take time this year to adjust to the playbook.  He'll never be a long-range gunner, but so long as he can do just enough on the deep balls to keep the defense honest, he should be poised for very good years.  

Miami has, essentially, locked in this team for the next 2 years.  Let's go Miami, make the playoffs and then many people have proven that anything is possible.  

Some things of note as OTAs are ongoing.

1) Some of the positional battles that will go on throughout the offseason got their initial OTA depth chart listing.

-Greg Jennings opened as WR2 across from Kenny Stills, with DeVante Parker backing all 3 guys up (Landry was in the slot).

-Chris McCain opened the OTA's as strong-side linebacker over Spencer Paysinger and Jordan Tripp

-Jamar Taylor is the current guy at CB2, ahead of Will Davis (who is still be recovering from injury) and Zach Bowman.  No mention of Bobby McCain, who it seemed the Fins were high on.

2) The Redskins just cut Chris Chester, basically because he's too small for a power run offense they appear to be using.  He's on the old side (32), but last year, for a Redskins team that was generally bad at life, he was a net positive in pass protection (PFF has him at 6.4).  If he's healthy and willing to compete for a spot in camp, bring his ass in here.  More competition for Turner and Thomas, and chances are he won't come too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

DeVante Parker has surgery to replace a screw in his foot, and will miss most, if not all of the offseason program.  

Terrible break, he was in such a good position to succeed.  Hopefully he doesn't end up starting the season on PUP, but it looks like he'll begin training camp there.  

Rishad Matthews is now looking likely to be the #4 receiver if Parker suffers any kind of setback.  

DeVante Parker has surgery to replace a screw in his foot, and will miss most, if not all of the offseason program.

Terrible break, he was in such a good position to succeed. Hopefully he doesn't end up starting the season on PUP, but it looks like he'll begin training camp there.

Rishad Matthews is now looking likely to be the #4 receiver if Parker suffers any kind of setback.

Not happy about him possibly missing camp, but not really worried about it. Beckham missed a quarter of the season last year for the Giants and he did just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Evan Mathis (old news) was released by the Eagles.

This is such a good fit for Miami that I hope they explore it, especially considering their competition for his services is the rest of the AFC East and (I think) Denver.

I'm not sure what kind of contract it's going to take in order to get a deal done...Miami has 10 million of cap space this year and literally nothing next year, so year 2 will be a challenge....but Mathis already rejected a 1 million dollar raise from Philly, and is rumored to want approximately 7 million plus per year.

If you can get him on a 1/7, I'd be willing to take that chance.  Anything more than that would probably need to be something like this:

gallery_897_188_1513.png

4 million extra in guaranteed takehome money years 1 and 2 (when compared with his old Eagles contract), with the 4th year essentially being a team option year.  The cap hit stays reasonable for year 2, which is key, but Mathis is still getting paid for 3 years.   

I haven't a clue if player or agent would like a deal structured like this, but it definitely works for Miami to a degree.  Next cap year will be a burdensome one, for sure, but Mathis' deal does the best possible job of not being a major problem.