Zach Parise Says 2012 Cup Run Was "Surreal", Talks Brodeur

TheMazz

The disappearance of house leagues is depressing to me. They're where I learned to play hockey.

There's actually a decent amount out here on long island, in fact another sports facility that will have a house roller hockey league is just being built and will be open in november. I've been playing since 4th grade and still playing. Actually hockey in general has grown alot on li. Also got some places that strictly do deck hockey.

Pretty sure that number included moving their entire family to an area with higher quality hockey teams. $20k/year is not that far fetched though. It's not cheap to travel. Last year my brother played on a tournament in Edmonton. A week in a hotel, food, rental car, round trip plane tickets for two people. That's not cheap. Had my father gone with his wife and my brother, it would have cost even more. That trip alone was probably in the neighborhood of $1000.

My Dad constantly complains about how all the tournaments are now what they call, "stay to play", meaning that if you want to play in the tournament, you have to stay on a particular hotel. That's ridiculous and I'm sure these aren't exactly budget hotels either.

I read somewhere the Patrick Kane's parents estimated they spent a million to get Patrick drafted.

Pretty sure that number included moving their entire family to an area with higher quality hockey teams. $20k/year is not that far fetched though. It's not cheap to travel. Last year my brother played on a tournament in Edmonton. A week in a hotel, food, rental car, round trip plane tickets for two people. That's not cheap. Had my father gone with his wife and my brother, it would have cost even more. That trip alone was probably in the neighborhood of $1000.

My Dad constantly complains about how all the tournaments are now what they call, "stay to play", meaning that if you want to play in the tournament, you have to stay on a particular hotel. That's ridiculous and I'm sure these aren't exactly budget hotels either.

Makes sense.  The travel teams at the rink I work at only go to tournaments that are driving distance, but if they had to fly out to places and and stay in expensive hotels I can see the costs being drastically higher.

There's actually a decent amount out here on long island, in fact another sports facility that will have a house roller hockey league is just being built and will be open in november. I've been playing since 4th grade and still playing. Actually hockey in general has grown alot on li. Also got some places that strictly do deck hockey.

The roller hockey scene in Long Island is great.  I play on a semi-pro roller team now and we tend to get crushed by the Long Island teams because many of them have been playing together since they were kids, and they still have strong youth travel roller hockey programs.  In New Jersey, there used to be a lot of youth travel roller teams when I was growing up but now I can only name two throughout the entire state, and the in-house youth roller league I played in which had probably over 20 teams across various age divisions is now down to one league for all ages that has only four teams, and the coaches have to coordinate matching up the "big kids" line against the other team's "big kids" line so you don't end up with a 15 year old lining up against a 7 year old.  Long Island even has high school roller hockey, while my high school didn't even get an ice hockey team until after I graduated.

Edited by devilsfan26

Makes sense. The travel teams at the rink I work at only go to tournaments that are driving distance, but if they had to fly out to places and and stay in expensive hotels I can see the costs being drastically higher

You misunderstood. These tournaments require you to stay in a particular hotel to be eligible to play. Doesn't matter if you're within driving distance or whatever. If you want to play, you HAVE to stay in that hotel. It's absolutely ridiculous because it's just so the people holding the tournament can get kickbacks from the hotel.

You misunderstood. These tournaments require you to stay in a particular hotel to be eligible to play. Doesn't matter if you're within driving distance or whatever. If you want to play, you HAVE to stay in that hotel. It's absolutely ridiculous because it's just so the people holding the tournament can get kickbacks from the hotel.

Oh wow, yeah that is even more outrageous.  Why don't teams that are within driving distance refuse to play in those tournaments?  Are there no other tournaments around at that skill level?

Oh wow, yeah that is even more outrageous. Why don't teams that are within driving distance refuse to play in those tournaments? Are there no other tournaments around at that skill level?

I assume it's the level of play that brings teams there despite the cost. My brother plays on a really good team. The invitational tournament in Edmonton, the select team he played with had Martin St Louis' on it and it was kind of a who's who of 9-10 year olds, lol.

Most of these tournaments are not within driving distance for my family. Boston, Toronto, Montreal, these places necessitate a stay in a hotel. A few trips like this and the costs can really add up between gas, hotel and food. Each one is at least a $500 trip.