A-Rod Opts Out, Then Re-signs

thefiestygoat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you can choose to look at it that way. I think good-bye was the best option. Boras might have been humbled, but the A-Rod circus will continue, and his post-season record still hangs ominously ... and hopefully that will continue until he is 42 or whenever his contract runs out.

Next up for Yankees: a Giambi extension. :boogie:

I've never seen a more bitter bunch of a-holes. A-Rod was the Yankees best bet. They have Posada back and can keep their young arms. If they can land a guy like Santana and maybe a solid Center fielder the Yanks are set.

A side note: The Red Sox fans on this board can be as cocky as they want because they have the best team. The Mets fans on this board continually come off as childish and if you ask me, a bit insecure. It has to be hard being known as the other team in New York. Long live the days of prostitutes, booze and coke on the team flight! :rolleyes:

right, like that series against Minnesota for the Yankees where he was terrible. A-Rod will produce in the postseason - if not for the Yankees, then somewhere else.

After this year's playoffs, Yankee fans should look at Jeter as the choker - he was awful.

I don't like A-Rod's personality and image, so I don't really care if I treat him fairly or unfairly. He is the one making tons of money and has to put up with criticism, its part of it. I really have no faith in A-Rod ever producing. He is mentally weak and lets the little things get to him, then builds up pressure on himself. Sure, Jeter choked but he has done a helluva lot more than A-Rod is ever will for Yankee fans. He can get a pass.

First, the bad Posada contract, now this. This offseason is going pretty horrible so far.

EDIT: Hell this offseason sucks, even Jeter is in trouble with the law because of tax evasion.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I really never understood why fans get so upset with the money thing. To most teams the posada and a-rod contracts are ridiculous but to the Yankees they wont even feel it. I mean they make the money for salary back in ticket sales alone. They sell out tons of games I mean were not talkinga bout the Devils here. Then add in the concessions, merchandise, and now the multi billion dollar yes network and its just a drop in the hat. They play by the rules of the game and its good for TV.

Jeter's knee was pretty messed up at that point iirc.

oh i agree, but jeter refused to sit out enough regular season games to attempt to let it heal.

jeter's range, which was already terrible, got worse and worse as the season went on. They really have to consider moving him to center field by 2009.

Joking? Robinson Cano will be playing HOF-level 2B for the Yankees for another decade.

The shortstop to center field transition is not that common but should be. Robin Yount did it. Jeter is terrible on ground balls and his strength, supposedly, is pop-ups.

I just think it's odd to put a player with bad range into CF. That struck me as strange. I know Yount did it, but it's still a very unusual move.

I really never understood why fans get so upset with the money thing. To most teams the posada and a-rod contracts are ridiculous but to the Yankees they wont even feel it. I mean they make the money for salary back in ticket sales alone. They sell out tons of games I mean were not talkinga bout the Devils here. Then add in the concessions, merchandise, and now the multi billion dollar yes network and its just a drop in the hat. They play by the rules of the game and its good for TV.

But then you cant blame all the fans that think the yanks are continually trying to buy their championship ... :rolleyes:

Arod just got 10 years, 275 million, and people are talking like HE and Boras got hosed by the lack of a market. 275 million dollars???? thats ridiculous. Long live a dysfunctional yankee clubhouse.

What's more there's another $30 million in 'marketing achievements' hidden in there, more like incentive clauses for milestone HR's that he can easily get. The contract will almost certainly be worth over $300 million total when it's all said and done, including the eight million he got from Texas for opting out of the contract.

Bora$$ does it AGAIN, A-Rod is laughing all the way to the bank. And the Yankees may have their team back (on the field) but they look like weenies after all their tough talk by negotiating with A-Rod like two weeks after they said they wouldn't, and giving him another $80 million on top of their original offer after he cost them the $20 million Texas subsidy to boot. Because of a phony baloney apology the Yankees pay another $100 million than they originally offered. I'd kiss the Yankees butt too for that money :rofl:

Edited by Hasan4978

What's more there's another $30 million in 'marketing achievements' hidden in there, more like incentive clauses for milestone HR's that he can easily get. The contract will almost certainly be worth over $300 million total when it's all said and done, including the eight million he got from Texas for opting out of the contract.

Bora$$ does it AGAIN, A-Rod is laughing all the way to the bank. And the Yankees may have their team back (on the field) but they look like weenies after all their tough talk by negotiating with A-Rod like two weeks after they said they wouldn't, and giving him another $80 million on top of their original offer after he cost them the $20 million Texas subsidy to boot. Because of a phony baloney apology the Yankees pay another $100 million than they originally offered. I'd kiss the Yankees butt too for that money :rofl:

I completely agree with you. Isn't it strange that there are all these stories out there saying that Boras got put in his place by Hank Steinbrenner but there's hardly any stories killing the Yankees for handing A-Rod a boatload of cash after saying they were done with him? It's odd.

You math is a little fuzzy there Has. Remember the Yankees extension offer was on top of the 3 years/$80M that were still on the original deal. Those come off now so you can't compare the offers strictly like that. From what I had read the Yankees had planned to offer him 5/150 as an extension. So it would have been 8/230 or 8/210 (avg value $26.5M) if you deduct the Texas subsidy. Now it is 10/275 (avg value $27.5M) it is pretty similar.

ETA: as I said earlier in this thread, the Yankees said they wouldn't chase him and they didn't. They offered him a similar deal money wise to the extension they offered him pre opt-out. This was an excellent job all around by the Yankee management. If they had caved to Boras and offered a $350M contract that would be different, but they are bringing him back at their price.

Edited by PeteyNice

You math is a little fuzzy there Has. Remember the Yankees extension offer was on top of the 3 years/$80M that were still on the original deal. Those come off now so you can't compare the offers strictly like that. From what I had read the Yankees had planned to offer him 5/150 as an extension. So it would have been 8/230 or 8/210 (avg value $26.5M) if you deduct the Texas subsidy. Now it is 10/275 (avg value $27.5M) it is pretty similar.

ETA: as I said earlier in this thread, the Yankees said they wouldn't chase him and they didn't. They offered him a similar deal money wise to the extension they offered him pre opt-out. This was an excellent job all around by the Yankee management. If they had caved to Boras and offered a $350M contract that would be different, but they are bringing him back at their price.

Would you please explain that to us again come july or maybe august of this coming year? ah never mind I'll bump this tread for ya next year.

the yanks bid against themselves and lost. who else was gonna give him 25+??? anyone?? especially for 10 years. this contract is INSANE.

I am certain Anaheim would have and if Lowell had gone elsewhere you know Boston would have. Plus then you have wild card teams like the Cubs and even the Junior Varsity who desperately need something positive after their epic collapse. I don't think anyone was going to offer $350M like Boras floated but I am sure all of those teams would have bettered the Yankees offer.

Would you please explain that to us again come july or maybe august of this coming year? ah never mind I'll bump this tread for ya next year.

Whenever you need a remedial math lesson you let me know. I understand math is very hard for a lot of people and I am happy to help out.

I am certain Anaheim would have and if Lowell had gone elsewhere you know Boston would have. Plus then you have wild card teams like the Cubs and even the Junior Varsity who desperately need something positive after their epic collapse. I don't think anyone was going to offer $350M like Boras floated but I am sure all of those teams would have bettered the Yankees offer.

Whenever you need a remedial math lesson you let me know. I understand math is very hard for a lot of people and I am happy to help out.