GDT 1/20/11 Devils vs. Penguins

ZeroGravityFat

Marty now has put up a .938 save% in his last six. Guess that means everyone who wanted to bury this guy can put the shovels away for a little while.

I don't have any delusions about this season being salvagable, but at least they're playing competitive hockey, and look like they belong on the ice against NHL competition. Considering where this team was a month ago, I can't ask for more than that.

I feel for John MacLean. He remains my favorite Devil of all time, a guy who fought and scrapped for everything he got as a player. Though what happened under his tenure wasn't 100% his fault, it's becoming more obvious that he simply wasn't ready to be an NHL head coach, and his failure was so spectacular that he'll probably never get another chance. Makes me sad for him.

Who did the Pens have in the lineup that could score? LOL Excuse me but I'll judge someone by 40 games, not 6. The defense played well, and brodour didnt have to make many difficult saves. When he did, he flopped around.

And Mac got what he deserved. I don't feel bad for him at all; I feel angry that he ruined this season.

Both of these guys were over-rated and it finally caught up to them. I very much remember watching Mac play and he always took the shot instead of passing. Plus a good 5 goals a year were empty net, he loved those.

Wow looks like the Devils finally learned how to play this year..only took them until they figured out they were eliminated from the playoffs. they got an experienced coach. They lucked out withing Crosby and Malkin being on the ice, but congrats on the shutout Marty.

Marty now has put up a .938 save% in his last six. Guess that means everyone who wanted to bury this guy can put the shovels away for a little while.

he'll likely be one of the players of the week.

Who did the Pens have in the lineup that could score? LOL Excuse me but I'll judge someone by 40 games, not 6. The defense played well, and brodour didnt have to make many difficult saves. When he did, he flopped around.

And Mac got what he deserved. I don't feel bad for him at all; I feel angry that he ruined this season.

Both of these guys were over-rated and it finally caught up to them. I very much remember watching Mac play and he always took the shot instead of passing. Plus a good 5 goals a year were empty net, he loved those.

sirtroll speaks.

And I'll judge Brodeur on the entire volume of his career, as opposed to 27 games (you were wrong about 40...before this surge Marty played in 27 games). I'll admit that he was as culpable as anyone else for this season's bad start, but he had plenty of company. It's not like he's had many bad stretches in his career; having said that, I could understand the concern, given his age. But I love that he looks like he still has something left...I thought a lot of fans were very quick to bury this guy, and more than a few were bordering on being mean-spirited about it.

As for MacLean...I never said he didn't get what he deserved, though I wouldn't put it quite that way. Clearly it wasn't working out, and as the weeks went on it simply appeared that the job was too big for him. For you to knock MacLean's ability as a player is a joke...he was terrific, and clutch to boot, and on a team and franchise that was still trying to establish its identity during his peak years. If hadn't torn his ACL in preseason I think he would've had some more 40-goal campaigns left.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Had to watch the FSN Pittsburgh feed on NHL Network. Gahhh! Those guys are such homers! It's like watching Fox News cover the Democratic National Convention.

Same here. For all of you that didn't have the pleasure of watching the Pittsburgh feed, did you know:

- Max Talbot didn't mean to bump Brodeur either of those two times, and they shouldn't have been penalties

- Zharkov intentionally got tripped and slid into Johnson, and should have been called for interference

- The Devils don't have room to resign Parise, so they should trade him now to avoid losing him for nothing

- For most of his 400+ games with the Devils, Mike Rupp was coached by Jacques Lemaire

- Tedenby got his first NHL goal on Monday

- Matt Cooke is a smart, hard working player

- The Devils and Penguins have been the two best teams in the Atlantic Division since its inception in 1993-1994

Same here. For all of you that didn't have the pleasure of watching the Pittsburgh feed, did you know:

- Max Talbot didn't mean to bump Brodeur either of those two times, and they shouldn't have been penalties

- Zharkov intentionally got tripped and slid into Johnson, and should have been called for interference

- The Devils don't have room to resign Parise, so they should trade him now to avoid losing him for nothing

- For most of his 400+ games with the Devils, Mike Rupp was coached by Jacques Lemaire

- The Devils and Penguins have been the two best teams in the Atlantic Division since its inception in 1993-1994

Don't forget that the Kovalchuk signing was single handedly responsible for the Devils terrible season.

This was a horribly refereed game.

Ted has 5 goals this season. You mean Zharkov right?

Pens would be one of the first in line at a shot at Parise I think. They would love nothing more then to pair up Parise, Sid and Malkin. Im not surprised that they are giving GM advice. The team last night we saw play the Devils were clearly not an A plus team without their two leading players. :rolleyes:

I had that feed...this is remarkably accurate to what those morons had said...Also, if anyone remembers when elias nudged their goalie behind the net on a PP, that was apparently with as much force as Talbot's hit and should've been a penalty for sure.

5 game point streak!

Although it did come against TBL (2), FLA, TOR, PIT (minus Crosby/Malkin), this looks promising for rest of the season/next year at least.

Firing MacLean and getting rid of Langenbrunner seem to be the likely catalysts. I'm going to guess that trading Langenbrunner was the key though, you can't have a captain that's a malcontent.

In any case, I'm starting to have hope.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Firing MacLean and getting rid of Langenbrunner seem to be the likely catalysts. I'm going to guess that trading Langenbrunner was the key though, you can't have a captain that's a malcontent.

I think the loss of Langs and the teddy sitting are key. The young guys have stepped up their game becasue they know there is a spot for them and they also know if they don't play hard, they could easliy end up watching for a few games. Zharkov has looked good the last few games before the goal. Now clarkson just has to play his game and not try and get fancy and the team as a whole hopefuly will put out solid efforts. A little production from the vets with a little production from the youngins has been nice the last few games.

Next get the PP to shoot a little more to open up the passing lanes.

Joe

I had that feed...this is remarkably accurate to what those morons had said...Also, if anyone remembers when elias nudged their goalie behind the net on a PP, that was apparently with as much force as Talbot's hit and should've been a penalty for sure.

If I remember correctly, they said he "threw a check" on Johnson.

My wife, who likes hockey but rarely watches it on TV, walked into the room in the middle of the third period, overheard the game for about thirty seconds, and started complaining about how bad they were.