Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Sandy is a befuddled moron.  Byrd should've been dealt a month ago...we all thought so at the time.  But what the hell, might as well get something for him, and they can get him back in the offseason if they really want to (won't surprise me if they do).  But yeah, heaven forbid Passive actually had a pulse when it would've been easier to trade him. 

Yeah, Buck won't get claimed.  Might as well deal him, even if it's literally for nothing.  More ABs for d'Arnaud, and the Mets aren't stuck paying him (maybe they pick up some of his money though, in exchange for getting more than a bag of balls).

I could see Buck going. I mean what would he have started like 6-7 of the last 30something games anyway? 

What's with Sandy taking ANOTHER look at Carson. It's pretty clear he can't get a single major league hitter out

Wow, Byrd actually made it to Pittsburgh on waivers. Mets just traded he and Buck to them for Dilson Herrera and a PTBNL.

In their scouting report, BA noted that Herrera has plus speed and surprising power for someone of his size (he's listed as 5'10" and 150 pounds) with the ability to hit the ball to all fields. BA feels that his lack of arm strength will limit him to second base, and Mayo agrees. Mayo adds that Herrera had no problem adjusting to the game after coming to the United States, and he projects an above-average hitter and well-above average runner. Mayo also ranked Herrera as the ninth-best second base prospect in all of minor league baseball.

Dilson Herrera's bat speed is elite. Very, very interesting prospect.

Dilson Herrera has a right side profile on defense, but a promising bat with good pop. Projects as ML regular down the line if it clicks.

Very nice trade, I have some faith restored in Sandy

Dilson Herrera is a nice get for the Mets. Good hitter, premium position, solid pop for his size.

Very nice job by Sandy, I have some restored faith in him, although he got lucky that Byrd made it that far on waivers.

Edited by nmigliore

The Pirates 10th ranked prospect for Byrd (who may have a handshake/wink agreement to re-sign with us anyway) and Buck who has already served his purpose as placeholder for d'Arnaud and will barely play at all in September anyway.

Sounds good to me.

What I've read about Herrera. Sounds like some are projecting him at 2b rather than SS

Edited by '7'

I think from here on out, you've got to ignore the wins and losses 7.  This team just took a big punch to the gut.  Now it's about individual performances.

Check out these numbers for Zack Wheeler in his last four starts:

25.2 IP, 24 H, 7 ER, 1 HR, 5 BB, 28 K, 2.45 ERA 

You'd like to see the pitch counts come down (he averaged 110 pitches per start in those four), but at least he's cut down on the walks.  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, and not a random isolated sample of improved control.  But I like the way this last start went for him...almost had a "don't forget about me" feel to it.  I guess for continuity's sake, the Mets now will pass Harvey's sh!tty run support unto Wheeler. 

As bad as his numbers are, I wonder if Sandy would take a shot at Phil Hughes, for two reasons:  1) He won't cost much, and 2) He could be a bottom of the rotation guy, and could help give the Mets depth.  It's obviously not a headline move or something to get excited about, but with the Mets' starting pitching depth taking an obvious hit, this is the kind of move I could see Sandy making, to temporarily shore things up.

I think it's something Hughes himself would be interested in since he doesn't have to uproot, but his last 3 seasons have been so wretched. And yes some of that is pitching in hitters parks...but the guy gives up hits and home runs left and right. Maybe if he comes here some of those HR's turn into fly outs, or maybe they turn into doubles and triples. 

I'd just ante up for Matt Garza

The Pirates 10th ranked prospect for Byrd (who may have a handshake/wink agreement to re-sign with us anyway) and Buck who has already served his purpose as placeholder for d'Arnaud and will barely play at all in September anyway.

Sounds good to me.

What I've read about Herrera. Sounds like some are projecting him at 2b rather than SS

Not too bad I guess, under the circumstances.  This kid is only 19 years old and a long way away.  Probably late 2015 at best, if he makes it.

At any rate, as you pointed out, Buck was probably only starting 6 or 7 more games anyway (now d'Arnaud won't have a mentor, but so be it, small price to pay), and Byrd may be a Met in 2014 (even if he's not, it's not like the Mets are losing a guy in his prime who has many 2013-type seasons in him).  Does mean this team is now dead in the water offensively.   

Herrera + a PTBNL is the type of return I expected Byrd to bring back in July, so I'm pretty happy with this trade. I'm still surprised no team tried to block him and threw us a complete scrub/org filler type; I was completely expecting that. 

Edited by nmigliore

Wow...this team is REALLY shaping up to be unwatchable for the rest of the season.  It really IS all about the kids now...d'Arnaud, Wheeler, Flores, Lagares...scary to think that Mediocre Murph is now the Mets' best hitter.  2014 really can't come soon enough now...

But this was 100% the right thing to do.  Any gumption the Mets had was effectively squelched with Harvey's injury.  Byrd was a nice story, did his part to keep the Mets playing .500ish ball for a nice chunk of the season.  Buck was Buck, crazy monster start, long periods of invisibility, occasional little hot streaks here and there.  Both guys couldn't have been expected to do any more for the Mets than they did.  Who knows if Herrera ever makes it, but Sandy was least able to get a warm young body with some upside out of this. 

And the least the kids that ARE here look like they all have a good shot to either make it as Mets or somewhere else.  No Colin Cowgills or Kirk Nieuwenhuis-type zilches. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I suppose we should be optomistic about this Herrera since Sandy only usually does high-percentage trades lol

But yeah it was time to give up the ghost of .500 or whatever else they wanted to play for down the stretch and use this month for an early extended Spring Training :P

I suppose we should be optomistic about this Herrera since Sandy only usually does high-percentage trades lol

But yeah it was time to give up the ghost of .500 or whatever else they wanted to play for down the stretch and use this month for an early extended Spring Training :P

Kind of hard for me to go too crazy about a 19-year-old A-baller (so much can go wrong between now and when he actually looks like a potential call-up), but at least the guy projects to be a major-leaguer. 

I just the starting pitchers keep their sanity...the Mets will be lucky to average much more than three runs per game from here on out.

Just 2 ER allowed on 14 hits in Niese's last 3 starts (22 IP).  ERA is down to 3.69, just like that.

Harvey is tweeting that he'll be ready by April 1...I'm all for optimism, but he should probably lay low for a while.  Let the doctors make that call.

Added bonus of Buck being traded, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Mets don't have a better option if d'Arnaud continues to struggle.  I like that they're can't be any knee-jerk, we'd better play Buck reaction.  d'Arnaud might not even hit .200 in the time he's up here, but he'll have well over 100 ABs by the time the season's over...to me, that's important, regardless of the results.

EY and Mediocre Murph had better not be batting 1-2 in the order next season.  Want to keep EY as a 4th outfielder who can pinch-run and do some other things, get maybe 250-300 ABs?  I could live with that...in a league where it seems like everyone strikes out, he's actually a pretty decent contact hitter.  But enough with Murph...guy is having an August even worse than June was.  Give Flores as much playing time at second as possible...please! 

Some info on Herrera:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/8/27/4665270/mets-marlon-byrd-trade-analysis-dilson-herrera

Carton of course is being a complete ass and moron as always...best thing about Boomer is that he calls Carton out on his stupidity and hypocrisy constantly.  And though I know Carton is a clown and isn't talented enough not to have to have some kind of schtick, he could at least do a little research...he keeps referring to Herrera as a shortstop.  He's a friggin' second baseman you bonehead!  Everyone seems to know this by now, except for you!

But anyway, Idiot is bitching about the Mets waving the white flag.  Like I said, I know he's a clown, but what the hell did he want the Mets to do, do everything in their power to try to win 75 games?  The point of that being what exactly? 

Herrera is 19 years old and will be 20 at the start of next season, where he'll be playing in A+ ball.  Maybe by the end of the 2014 or a little earlier, he'll be in Binghamton.  In 2015 (he'll be 21), hopefully he finds his way into AAA ball, or at the very least, has a strong full season in AA.  2016 (he'll be 22), maybe he's a solid AAA player and, depending on where the Mets are at that point, either figures into the 2016 or 2017 Mets and beyond, or has had a strong enough minor-league career that he's made himself a nice trade chip.  The good thing is even if his development is on the slow-but-steady side, it's hard to imagine he'll be older than 24 by the time he's considered to be ready, but it also means this is one of those deals that will take a long time to pan out...and even if it doesn't, it was well worth the risk.

At any rate, the fact that Carton is actually criticizing this deal is laughable and embarrassing, even for him.  Buck's only reasons for remaining here through the end of the season were to give d'Arnaud a little rest (with all of the games d'Arnaud missed, does he really need that much of it, even if he is a catcher?), and to help mentor d'Arnaud.  As for Byrd, goes back to what I said before...is it that friggin' important to win a few more games with Byrd?  Maybe Sandy could've gotten slightly more back had he moved Byrd earlier, but I really don't know how much more.     

Just 2 ER allowed on 14 hits in Niese's last 3 starts (22 IP).  ERA is down to 3.69, just like that.

Harvey is tweeting that he'll be ready by April 1...I'm all for optimism, but he should probably lay low for a while.  Let the doctors make that call.

Added bonus of Buck being traded, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Mets don't have a better option if d'Arnaud continues to struggle.  I like that they're can't be any knee-jerk, we'd better play Buck reaction.  d'Arnaud might not even hit .200 in the time he's up here, but he'll have well over 100 ABs by the time the season's over...to me, that's important, regardless of the results.

EY and Mediocre Murph had better not be batting 1-2 in the order next season.  Want to keep EY as a 4th outfielder who can pinch-run and do some other things, get maybe 250-300 ABs?  I could live with that...in a league where it seems like everyone strikes out, he's actually a pretty decent contact hitter.  But enough with Murph...guy is having an August even worse than June was.  Give Flores as much playing time at second as possible...please! 

Harvey is still in that "I'm young and invincible" mindset. Nice to see how badly he wants to get out there. 

Flores bat, when he reaches full potential, will be more lethal than Murphs at full potential. Murphy has fallen off the reservation once again, but in his defense there is absolutely nobody in the lineup protecting him. He's walked twice in August. That's hideous. d'Arnaud has 6 walks already

Edited by '7'

Harvey is still in that "I'm young and invincible" mindset. Nice to see how badly he wants to get out there. 

Flores bat, when he reaches full potential, will be more lethal than Murphs at full potential. Murphy has fallen off the reservation once again, but in his defense there is absolutely nobody in the lineup protecting him. He's walked twice in August. That's hideous. d'Arnaud has 6 walks already

In fairness, none of us know if Flores will pan out either, but Murph is what he is:  a perfectly mediocre ballplayer with mediocre talent.  He's a starter on a bad NL team or a loaded AL team, where he can bat ninth and at least give his team competent at-bats, and be OK in the field.  I'm not saying he can't be a major-leaguer somewhere, he can definitely be one of those "under the radar" types that somehow sticks around for 15 years, but if he stays here, the Mets are going to count on him to do more than he's capable of.  They can probably get a decent middle reliever out of him. 

I think Flores has higher upside, at least with his bat, but as we know, having potential and reaching it are two different things.  But I think 2014 is time to move on from Murph...he's reached his ceiling, and sadly, it's simply not that high.  It's too bad, because I think he's got heart to spare, I really do.  I can definitely see him contributing as an pitch-in kind of ALer.   

Wow. Is Matsuzaka an unwatchable pile of garbage or what.

also, why is Robert carson ever given any more chances in a major league uniform. He just let up a base hit to Cole Hamels in a lefty/lefty matchup. Carson is the biggest piece of trash pitcher I've seen since Mel Rojas

Edited by '7'

Black is another great grab. Sandy really did about as good as he could have possibly done with that trade.

Yeah, impossible to complain about this move...especially with Black being the player-to-be-named later. 

Wow. Is Matsuzaka an unwatchable pile of garbage or what.

also, why is Robert carson ever given any more chances in a major league uniform. He just let up a base hit to Cole Hamels in a lefty/lefty matchup. Carson is the biggest piece of trash pitcher I've seen since Mel Rojas

I know Dice K is a throwaway/fill-in arm the Mets don't care about, but good Lord, the guy is fvcking unwatchable.  And the problem with him is that he DOESN'T give you innings.  He was a complete waste of time, never should have been signed.   

Bringing up Carson is a good move, because he'll pitch himself right out of the Mets' future, and after 2013 ends, we shouldn't ever have to see him again. 

What's maddening about this season is Passive basically decides he's punting it away (fine), then decides he's not, because the team started to play decent ball AFTER Passive decided not to address any of the team's weaknesses earlier, then at the first trading deadline decides that somehow it's important to have momentum going into 2014, so he doesn't deal away anything that could've gotten him a return, but now at this deadline changes his mind and now it's OK to completely suck in September. 

Admittedly, the Mets managed to get a good return on Byrd and Buck, but Sandy shouldn't be taking any victory laps for that...got a bit lucky with that one, and if Harvey hadn't gotten hurt, would Sandy have decided that the Mets still needed momentum going into 2014, and kept both players?  This really should've been a no-brainer whether or not Harvey was lost...seems weak on Sandy's part that Harvey's injury practically had to force Passive into doing what good GMs are usually smart enough to do.   

deGrom only pitched two innings last night...gave up 2 ER, 3 hits and 1 BB in that time...ex-Met Xavier Nady hit a two-run shot off him...and he left the game because, apparently, now HE'S hurt too. 

http://metsminors.net/jacob-degrom-leaves-51s-game-with-undisclosed-injury/

Can't make it up.  Could someone please ask God to stop fvcking with the Mets?

...and if Harvey hadn't gotten hurt, would Sandy have decided that the Mets still needed momentum going into 2014, and kept both players?  

He did get lucky with how far Byrd fell but I don't know about this one; both guys were put on waivers and claimed over the weekend, prior to the Harvey news. By the way, Byrd hit a 3-run homer last night for Pittsburgh. Good for him. Pittsburgh will be such an easy to team root for in October.

re: Dice-K - yeah this is pretty much what you get. I probably mentioned it but he might be the most boring pitcher to watch with how slow his pace is and the constant deep counts and walks. It is what it is though; since we were clearly not getting one of the young arms, the alternatives were really just as ugly. 

deGrom only pitched two innings last night...gave up 2 ER, 3 hits and 1 BB in that time...ex-Met Xavier Nady hit a two-run shot off him...and he left the game because, apparently, now HE'S hurt too. 

This is really the whole problem with getting all excited over a farm system loaded with pitchers. I know I say this so much, but they are such a volatile bunch. The TNSTAAPP belief and "you need a handful of good pitching prospects to get one good pitcher" is real. Hitters >>>>> pitchers, and it will never change. 

I hope deGrom is okay. 

Edited by nmigliore

No, that's fair nmig, and I remember quickly how fast "Generation K" fell apart (Isringhausen, Pulsipher, Wilson).  They were supposed to be the Mets' top three guys in the rotation.  One of them turned to be a really good closer for a while, the other two never came close to what everyone thought they would be. 

Yeah, it's not like I was banking on all of these arms contributing to the Mets, and if anything, I was hoping they would all stay healthy enough to have trade value, so they could move two or three of them for something else. 

What's scary is, who can the Mets really count on for 200+ innings next season?  Gee and Niese have never reached that number.  Wheeler, maybe, but Harvey sure looked like a solid bet to do that. 

Gotta admit, the Mets should probably take a flyer on a Phil Hughes-type, for depth.  Someone will probably get stupid with Lincecum, Barry Zito-style...Lincecum has basically turned into Shawn Estes (occasional terrific game, many more meh and bad ones).  But I get the feeling he'll get a four or five year deal for good money, with the hope he'll turn into Lincecum pre-2012 again.   

Torres has now given up just one run in three out of his four starts this season (he was rocked in the other one).  What the hell, might as well let him start the rest of the season...he can't be any worse than Dice K.

Doofus in the lineup today, playing first base...sorry, but this guy is a complete waste of time, he really is. 

Torres has now given up just one run in three out of his four starts this season (he was rocked in the other one).  What the hell, might as well let him start the rest of the season...he can't be any worse than Dice K.

Dice-K will start regardless, Torres has no impact on him: Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Dice-K, Torres is the rotation. 

By the way, it's still so great to bury the Phillies. The rivalry has been pretty meaningless for 5 years but I still hate this team.

Edited by nmigliore

Dice-K will start regardless, Torres has no impact on him: Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Dice-K, Torres is the rotation. 

I know that, I wasn't suggesting Torres would start for him (though I could see how it could've been interpreted that way).  I was saying that the Mets might as well keep Torres in the rotation, regardless of anyone else's status. 

Kind of fun when a lineup that clearly is going to have trouble scoring runs has a big day...10 runs so far for the Mets. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976