Devils 1st Round Selection Stefan Matteau

thefiestygoat

We should have given up the pick this year. What a waste.

Do you even know any thing about this player besides that his dad is the famous Matteau?

Who cares anyway, Henriques goal is fresh in my mind. :)

In all honestly, Conte must of seen him as the BPA. He is feisty and aggressive. You can say Collberg would of been better or another player but do you think Lou really just "wasted" a 1st rounder when we had to surrender one in the near future? C'mon now.

I like it.

Say this on http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cspid=15804

"Matteau intends to join Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in the QMJHL for the 2012-13 season."

Also has him listed as a center.

If he declines to sign with the Devils, ranger fans will mock us forever.

He is only 18.

Why would he decline to sign with us anyways?

I trust Lou and Conte, they've drafted well recently and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Hockey Prospect, talks about how he is strong defensively and plays a high tempo game with a strong work ethic. He may not ever develop real strong offensive skills or finish but he seems like the type of player who can protect the puck and move the play forward. Picking this late in a weak draft, especially for forwards, its not like they were going to get an elite level offensive talent. Sure other guys like Collberg and Sissons were still on the board but this seems like the type of player that with his skill set, could develop into a real useful piece for the Devils.

Mark Edwards the head scout for Hockey Prospect is a fan of his and mentions that the Armada staff should coach him well. His dad is actually an assistant on the staff. He may not be a sexy pick but there are reasons to be optimistic.

Nobody here knows if this is a good or bad pick. People are basing all of their opinions on his name. Let's see what the kid can bring.

Nothing to do with his name. I actually like that part of it. His ceiling appears to be Steve Bernier. That's what bothers me.

Edited by Daniel

Notice the Devils even had a jersey with his name prepared! It's usually only done for players who you're planning on drafting all along. Lou must've been scheming for months. :giggle:

Lou is such a troll.

youmaddx.jpg

You almost HAVE to think Lou is gonna wiggle his way out of that penalty with the new CBA. Only explanation I can think of.

You keep saying that, but I can't see how that would work. Even if the new CBA establishes a new way of penalizing teams for that stuff, it cannot affect the penalties that were already put on clubs. We won't get away with this, I'm afraid.

The reason Id say I dont like it is because he's a future pick. Hes not going to even be in Albany next year and this year seemed like the perfect time to pay our penalty for Kovy.

That's what you get at #29. Every pick this late is a "future pick".

Say this on http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cspid=15804

"Matteau intends to join Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in the QMJHL for the 2012-13 season."

Also has him listed as a center.

If he declines to sign with the Devils, ranger fans will mock us forever.

Of course he's going to play in the QMJHL next year (and the year after that, and perhaps for another one as well), he's a late 1st round pick and that's what late 1st round picks do: play in minor leagues for a couple of years before breaking into the NHL.

hilarious move to nullify any rags chant now, we have matteau and henrique covered.

Ha, I didn't think about Henrique at first! :D That's right, we now have both Matteau and King Henrique. And we won the most recent and one of the biggest series those teams ever played with each other.

Its wishful thinking, Rev. I realize we're probably not getting away with this. Can only have faith in Lou at this point.

TG just tweeted this:

"Stefan Matteau said "the plan" is to make the Devils think of something good when they hear his name."

+

"Stefan: "It's a great organization for me to go to."

Edited by ghdi

94's pain died the second that Henrique put that puck in the back of the net.

We've drafted the son of an Islander who scored a big goal against the Rags, now a Rag who scored a big goal against us, and next up a Devil's offspring who scored a big goal against a Flyer. Elias get on that unless Pepe's got a kid

You know what Lou has made sure of...

"New Jersey Devils draft the son of the guy who did this (clip of double OT game 7 plays)"

thanks lou, can't get enough of seeing that

I'm sure the first thing Lou takes into consideration when managing the team is what fans are going to see on MSG.

also it looks like kind of a reach. Ranked 41 on one list, 34 on another. Better talent was to be had

TSN had him at 23, so it goes both ways. All in all, he was a fitting pick at 29. No need to try hard to find anything on the guy just because of his father.

Future Considerations: New Jersey Takes Matteau 29th Overall

A big, strong power forward who plays with an ornery temperament. He has good skating ability for a bigger player and nice speed, but his first couple steps are not the fastest. He’s a wrecking ball with good size, plays with constant energy and has very strong aggressiveness. He hits everyone hard and always makes his presence known on the forecheck. He compliments his physical game with solid offensive skills including a hard wrist shot and some underrated playmaking abilities. He loves to take the puck to the net hard and fight for those second and third chances. He can carry the puck up ice and into the offensive zone but does not have much flash or the ability to dangle. He’s smart and understands how to play the game in a straight forward way. Discipline concerns crept into his game this year as he made a few bad on-ice decisions that left him watching games while serving suspensions for his infractions. The son of former NHLer Stephane Matteau plays with more grit and skill than his father, who he will join next year when he moves to Blainville-Boisbriand of the Quebec league where his father is an assistant coach.

In Lou We Trust: Stefan Matteau: The New Jersey Devils 1st Round Pick of the 2012 NHL Draft

A lot of great information in the In Lou We Trust post as usual.

kid said devils made him work out twice and talked to him in pitt, clearly lou is interested in the player and wont waste a pick he could have used for kovie penalty on a random troll grudge match.

He was also mocked to us at least a few weeks prior to the draft by an NHL.com guy. They knew this kid had a chance to be available before they decided to keep the pick. Its clear that they did their homework.

It will be interesting to see where we're picking in future drafts. Easy way out is to say we shoulda given it up this year, but only time will answer that.

Video courtesy of Puck Daddy

Edited by ghdi