Devils 1st Round Selection Stefan Matteau

thefiestygoat

I'm pissed off with this pick. One-fvck his dad. Two-this guy could've been had iin the second round. Three-we kept our pick for this unimpressive sh!t?

1) he's not his dad. 2) he was the highest ranked forward still available according to Mackenzie. I trust him. 3) clearly Lou and conte saw something in him to keep the pick.

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know hockey.

I don't understand why we kept our pick this year just to do this. It really boggles the mind. 29th pick is bad enough, but to then get a player that is neither here nor there in terms of what we need. I just don't get it.

The Devils have drafted for need in the Lou Lamoriello era exactly 0 times. BPA. That's how Lou rolls.

1) he's not his dad. 2) he was the highest ranked forward still available according to Mackenzie. I trust him. 3) clearly Lou and conte saw something in him to keep the pick.

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know hockey.

POST OF THE DAY!

Jesus I can't believe how many people are complaining about this pick. The guy is as good a prospect as anyone else that was available, who cares what his dad did 18 years ago?

Not only do I hope he becomes a great Devil, I hope he scores an overtime goal against the Rangers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals and gives a whole new meaning to "MATTEAU!!!"

Edited by devilsfan26

@NHLDevils

Stefan Matteau works out in the offseason with Dainius Zubrus, and spoke to Zubrus by telephone after being drafted tonight.

The more I read, the more I like. They knew who they were picking.

Weird but interesting. I like that many scouts say he is a fast skater given his size. I really like this pick, hopefully we get a good look at him during camp.

Edited by Zubie#8

He plays into being a "better" David Clarkson......minus the flopping of course. And because his name is Matteau, you know he can wrap around. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a big physical center who plays with an edge. He'll compliment some of the softer playing Swedes that were drafted and create opportunities from the forecheck. I have no problem with this pick.

His last name is just complicating this far too much. Unless he was circled nine times on Lou's draft board with big stars and the words "CAN'T MISS" over his name, I wouldn't want him. And unless we're guaranteed a cup victory next year this is the best case scenario to pay the Kovalchuk penalty....silly Lou

His last name is just complicating this far too much. Unless he was circled nine times on Lou's draft board with big stars and the words "CAN'T MISS" over his name, I wouldn't want him. And unless we're guaranteed a cup victory next year this is the best case scenario to pay the Kovalchuk penalty....silly Lou

This isn't a video game, you don't base the seeds of your franchise's future on last names, you base it on their ability to play hockey.

lol you guys are even worse than the HF crowd with this. I loved all the assumptions that we were going to trade the pick just because there was no reason to keep it other than wanting to postpone the penalty as long as possible.

Did Lou trade Parise's rights last night? No. Nothing short of that was really going to annoy me anyway. And we're not gonna care about this guy who may or may not see the NHL in the next few years in a week and a half when we have bigger fish to fry.

btw Dano and Messier are supposedly good friends, does anyone give a **** about that? Didn't think so. The two teams and fanbases are just so intertwined there's going to be oddities like this eventually. I just hope the Rangers don't troll us back in a few years by taking Anthony Brodeur to replace Lundqvist lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Funny how some people on here just refuse to ever trust Lou or Conte despite the fact that they've proven the skeptics wrong many times in the past. Whatever. I'm as surprised as everyone else that we kept the 29th pick, and though I don't understand it, I trust that Lou and Conte saw some value here and picked us up a good player. I couldn't care less about the fact that his name is Matteau. If he can develop into a solid, hard-nosed winger with a little goal scoring ability, he will find a place in the NHL a few years down the line.

This isn't a video game, you don't base the seeds of your franchise's future on last names, you base it on their ability to play hockey.

That's what I said. In my opinion, no player on the board at the time was BETTER than the option of forfeiting this years pick for the Kovalchuk penalty. I'm saying that Lou better be sold 100% on this guy because he's an investment for the future, picking a player for now or just taking the penalty this year is a decision in the now.

Edited by cgb6397

I just hope the Rangers don't troll us back in a few years by taking Anthony Brodeur to replace Lundqvist lol.

They actually wouldn't have to wait a few years, Anthony is draft eligible next year! It would be awesome to see the Devils pick him up in a later round.

Edited by thefiestygoat

They actually wouldn't have to wait a few years, Anthony is draft eligible next year! It would be awesome to see the Devils pick him up in a later round.

Nah, way too much pressure. I'm starting to think it isn't realistic to plug 'any' young goalie in there and have him carry the torch after Marty, at least not immediately. You need a hold-the-fort vet who isn't going to embarass you (the next Hedberg) to bridge the gap before you even think about going with a kid imo.