Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Sheffield to the DL and Niese takes his place on active roster.. Sheffield was unhappy and felt he was ready to be in the lineup.

Pagan, cf

Castillo, 2b

Wright, 3b

Murphy, 1b

Francoeur, rf

Sullivan, lf

Santos, c

Cora, ss

Niese, lhp

well, Murphy batting cleanup is very strange... at least Angel 'I cant do anything right' Berroa is out of the lineup and Cora is back.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't understand Minaya's talk of being buyers; I really have no idea what he is going to do.. sitting on your hands or being minor sellers would be better than buying. LAST YEAR is when Omar should have done some buying (even for just a much needed reliever!).

Everything the Mets have done or said, whether it's Omar being a 'buyer' (I hope he 'buys' more prospects lol) or the intentionally rosy injury reports - Reyes being 'day to day' or Sheffield having a 'cramp' have been to create an illusion that the team is still in it and on the verge of making a big run and to keep people coming to the park as long as possible.

But so far at least Omar hasn't made the mistake his predecessor made (with Kazmir) and done a stupid, desperate deadline trade for the sake of making a move.

Excellent outing from Niese: 7.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 2 BB (both of which came in the 1st inning), 3 K

I love how he pounded the strike-zone.. he worked really well by getting ahead with fastballs and cutters.. his changeup isn't anything anything special right now but his curveball sure is. He also isn't afraid to move his pitches around the strike-zone.

Jerry is always good for a laugh... yeah lets give K-Rod the ball in a blowout and tire him out.. the whole "needs work" is a bullsh!t excuse too, Frankie has been in the majors for awhile now, Im sure hes dealt with being off for long periods of time before.

30 pitches it took for K-Rod to get through the inning... what a waste of bullets.

Edited by nmigliore

hmm i have a feeling Nelson Figueroa's phone might be ringing soon.. Livan just sucks. Im sick of his up and down starts.. its simple = he beats the sh!t teams and gets rocked by the good ones. Im quite sure Figueroa would do better.

Edited by nmigliore

hmm i have a feeling Nelson Figueroa's phone might be ringing soon.. Livan just sucks. Im sick of his up and down starts.. its simple = he beats the sh!t teams and gets rocked by the good ones. Im quite sure Figueroa would do better.

Well, Livan had a bad first inning going down 0-3. It could have been worse as Blum got greedy and tried to come home from second after a weakish hit from Pence only to be thrown out at home plate, then Pence tried to steal second only to be thrown out.Crap coaching their from Houston-too greedy with two force plays=dumb.

Good character by the Mets to come back and tie it up at 3-3.

This is going to be a good game.

I'll be flipping channels as I'm watching the Gold Cup final.

yeah the astros really ran themselves out of that 1st inning. anyway, nice outing from livan overall! it started out bad but he was lights out the rest of the way.. i guess figgy won't be getting a call just yet..

6-3 lead should be enough for frankie to close it...

man castillo is now 7-12 in this series and hitting over .300 on the year.. yet probably ever met fan still wants him gone :lol:

if castillo hits like he he has this year (good avg, high obp, not many strikeouts, and topped off with soome good defense) ill be glad if hes back next year.

and fwiw hes got a better avg and obp than orlando hudson right now.. hudson has more power though

Edited by nmigliore

Well that would've been a home run to dead center at Citi...but it's eaten up at Minute Maid. 436 to dead center, dear god.

heh i know.. remember that catch beltran made a couple years ago on that hill? that was amazing.. he must've been playing deep though, there is no way you can run a ball down that far playing at normal depth in the outfield

btw while im on underrated players, how about angel pagan? in 27 games hes hit .309/.362/.443 with 18 runs scored and 6-for-6 in stolen bases.. hes filled in very nicely as a leadoff guy in the absence of jose reyes and has played nice defense in CF.. hes probably not a starter but definitely a nice 4th OF this team should keep around next year.

and the mets win.. maybe we should ask the astros if they wanna switch ballparks..

Edited by nmigliore

(i made this huge write-up on francoeur today, comparing his 2007/2008 seasons.. im part of this mets forum now that i found and it the reason why i wrote this up in the first place - to post it there... but anyway i figured i'd share it here too)

Comparing Francoeur's best season (2007) to his worst season (2008) - written by nmigliore

1st group of stats - basic batting

2007 BB% : 6.1%

2008 BB% : 6.1%

2007 K% : 20.1%

2008 K% : 18.5%

2007 BABIP : .342

2008 BABIP : .277

(league average of BABIP over those 2 seasons : ~.305)

-- So basically his BB% was exactly the same and his K% went down, which is great. But his BABIP in 2007 was .342, which was very high, and could suggest he was getting lucky on his hits in 2007 when you compare it to the league average.

2nd group of stats - batted ball (GB = ground ball, FB = fly ball, LD = line drive, HR/FB = homerun to flyball ratio)

2007 GB% : 43.3%

2008 GB% : 44.9%

2007 FB% : 37.3%

2008 FB% : 34.3%

2007 LD% : 19.4%

2008 LD% : 20.7%

2007 HR/FB% : 9.8%

2008 HR/FB% : 6.5%

-- Some more groundballs and less flyballs in 2008 for Jeff.. his line drive percentage on the other hand was slightly up which is nice.. but the real noticeable stat is the decrease in homeruns per flyball .. for whatever reason it significantly went down 3.3%; why, Im not exactly sure.

3rd group of stats - percentage of pitches seen (FB = fastball, SL = slider, CT = cutter, CB = curveball, CH = changeup, SF = splitter)

2007 FB% : 56.5%

2008 FB% : 55.0%

2007 SL% : 21.6%

2008 SL% : 22.9%

2007 CT% : 2.3%

2008 CT% : 4.0%

2007 CB% : 7.7%

2008 CB% : 7.8%

2007 CH% : 11.6%

2008 CH% : 10.1%

2007 SF% : 0.3%

2008 SF% : 0.3%

-- Not a real difference in pitches seen in a span of a year besides the increment in sliders and curveballs and less fastballs. Its tough to make a judgement out of this data but obviously the increase in breaking balls had to have some impact in him swinging at them.

4th group of stats - plate discipline (best part)

2007 O-Swing% : 36.7%

2008 O-Swing% : 36.3%

What does this mean? - Francoeur swung at less pitches out of the strike zone in 2008 than he did 2007.

2007 Z-Swing% : 80.4%

2008 Z-Swing% : 76.1%

What does this mean? - Francoeur swung at less pitches IN the strike zone in 2008 than he did in 2007. Could this be from him wanting to take more pitches and draw more walks? I think so.

2007 Swing% : 57.4%

2008 Swing% : 56.0%

What does this mean? - Francoeur was less a less aggressive hitter in 2008 than he was in 2007. Again, I think this is because he wanted to take more pitches and draw more walks.

2007 O-Contact% : 58.8%

2008 O-Contact% : 60.2%

What does this mean? - Francoeur made more contact on pitches outside of the strike-zone in 2008 than he did in 2007, which could be a reason why his K% was down in 2008.

2007 Z-Contact% : 81.6%

2008 Z-Contact% : 84.7%

What does this mean? - Francoeur made more contact on pitches IN the strike-zone in 2008 than he did in 2007, believe it or not.

2007 Contact% : 73.9%

2008 Contact% : 76.7%

What does this mean? - Francoeur made more contact overall in 2008 than he did in 2007, again believe it or not..

2007 Zone% : 47.3%

2008 Zone% : 49.5%

What does this mean? - Francoeur saw more pitches in the strike-zone in 2008 than he did in 2007.

2007 F-Strike% : 61.0%

2008 F-Strike% : 65.1%

What does this mean? - Pitchers threw more 1st-pitch strikes to Francoeur in 2008 than they did in 2007.

Overall its tough to understand Francoeur's 2007 and 2008 seasons.. I mean in 2008 he walked at the same rate, struck out at a less rate, swung less, and made better contact. But then how on Earth was his season so much worse than what it was in 2007? I think it all goes back to the BABIP .. I think in 2007 he overachieved and in 2008 he underachieved. I also think the less aggression at the plate might've hurt him believe it or not.. maybe he was taking too many fat pitches and swinging at all of the bad ones. Believe it or not (I know I have said that phrase so much, lol bare with me), but I think he made progress in 2008 and just didn't get the results. My full season projected averages for Jeff would be this: .265/.305/.410 with about 15-20 homeruns.

Edited by nmigliore

man castillo is now 7-12 in this series and hitting over .300 on the year.. yet probably ever met fan still wants him gone :lol:

if castillo hits like he he has this year (good avg, high obp, not many strikeouts, and topped off with soome good defense) ill be glad if hes back next year.

and fwiw hes got a better avg and obp than orlando hudson right now.. hudson has more power though

Don't let any of what Castillo's doing fool you. For one, his little hot streak is making his overall season look better than it's really been. For another, he's doing all of this with no pressure...the Mets are out of it. And his defense is nothing to crow about...his range is minimal. The Mets need to change the dynamic of the clubhouse in a big way, and if some other team is actually fooled by what Castillo's done, they should trade him ASAP, even if it means they don't get that much in return (Castillo's contract pretty much ensures that). There's a reason (actually, several of them) Mets fans can't stand him, and I haven't lost sight of that.

On another front, it looks like the "What the hell, why not?" Church-Francoeur trade is paying some early dividends, even though Francoeur has had some memorable outfield flubs. Who knows how this deal works out long term...but the Mets basically got Francoeur for nothing, because that's how the Mets treated Church while he was here...like he was nothing.

heh i know.. remember that catch beltran made a couple years ago on that hill? that was amazing.. he must've been playing deep though, there is no way you can run a ball down that far playing at normal depth in the outfield

btw while im on underrated players, how about angel pagan? in 27 games hes hit .309/.362/.443 with 18 runs scored and 6-for-6 in stolen bases.. hes filled in very nicely as a leadoff guy in the absence of jose reyes and has played nice defense in CF.. hes probably not a starter but definitely a nice 4th OF this team should keep around next year.

and the mets win.. maybe we should ask the astros if they wanna switch ballparks..

Pagan's had some nice moments, but the guy just can't stay healthy. If he could the Mets would have a nice 4th-outfielder type for next season.

edit: Arroyo can be had, and probably on the cheap because of his contract.. but I rather pass on him; hes owed $11M for 2010 and has a $2M buyout for 2011.

I agree...pass on Arroyo. If the Mets were in contention I would have liked bringing in Arroyo, but right now it doesn't make any sense. I think a contending team may find him to be a nice bargain though.

Mets should trade Livan by this deadline or the August 31 deadline...I'm hoping it's this one, as he could have a lousy August...he's just not that good (his numbers against the Nats have helped his overall numbers considerably). If the Mets get a mid-range prospect or two for him they did OK.

Don't let any of what Castillo's doing fool you. For one, his little hot streak is making his overall season look better than it's really been. For another, he's doing all of this with no pressure...the Mets are out of it. And his defense is nothing to crow about...his range is minimal.

Really this year's more in line with his career numbers than last year was though - at least BA and OBP wise. He is what he is, he's never going to hit HR's or drive in runs, and his steals aren't going to be anywhere near what they used to be. Neither is his defense for that matter.

It's probably not fair to say he's only having this season because the Mets are out of it, he was doing pretty well early too and believe it or not he does have a ring on his finger (2003 Marlins) unlike most of the rest of the team, who is far worse pressure-wise.

Don't let any of what Castillo's doing fool you. For one, his little hot streak is making his overall season look better than it's really been. For another, he's doing all of this with no pressure...the Mets are out of it. And his defense is nothing to crow about...his range is minimal. The Mets need to change the dynamic of the clubhouse in a big way, and if some other team is actually fooled by what Castillo's done, they should trade him ASAP, even if it means they don't get that much in return (Castillo's contract pretty much ensures that). There's a reason (actually, several of them) Mets fans can't stand him, and I haven't lost sight of that.

On another front, it looks like the "What the hell, why not?" Church-Francoeur trade is paying some early dividends, even though Francoeur has had some memorable outfield flubs. Who knows how this deal works out long term...but the Mets basically got Francoeur for nothing, because that's how the Mets treated Church while he was here...like he was nothing.

castillo's batting line by month this year:

april - .370/.433/.444

may - .244/.373/.293

june - .244/.330/.280

july - .391/.487/.469

i know his average was down in may and june but his OBP stayed very consistent.. there is probably no use of even putting his slugging% since hes a singles hitter.

his contract still isn't great so yeah it would help if the Mets could get rid of it to a team that needs a top of the order 2B.. but then they better replace him with someone of high caliber like Orlando Hudson, though I believe he might end up resigning with LA..

the other free agent 2B names: Mark DeRosa, Felipe Lopez, Placido Polanco. Freddy Sanchez has a $10M team option and you would figure PIT would turn it down but I heard they were trying to sign both him and Jack Wilson to extensions.. Akinori Iwamura has a club option too but I think the Rays might turn it down since Ben Zobrist is having an amazing year for them and should be their starting 2B next year..

Im sure some teams will have interest in Castillo next offseason, but I think in the end the Mets will hang onto him. If they really wanted to trade him so badly they would have made a 'bad contract-for-bad contract' swap last offseason, but instead they held onto him because of his plea that he would be in shape and be better.. and lets be honest - he backed it up.. hes quicker on the bases this year and is having a nice year, you just cant say his stats are inflated because of the past week or so.

re: defense - its not great but its better than last year's, especially the range (RngR = Range runs above average)..

castillo's 2008 RngR: -6.1

castillo's 2009 RngR: -1.3

Pagan's had some nice moments, but the guy just can't stay healthy. If he could the Mets would have a nice 4th-outfielder type for next season.

yeah I know, hopefully he does stay healthy.. hes better at the plate than Jeremy Reed and according to UZR hes provided better defense than Reed this season.

Edited by nmigliore