Brodeur embarrassed himself and the franchise today

'7'

The empathy allows Marty to read the game - but it also sucks him into loserdom.  The man is SOOO lucky to have been on the right team at the right time.  He's proven time and time again he is NOT in control of the locker room, or ANY game or even his own game.  If he weren't such a loud-mouthed opinionated fvck, the team might not have gotten into this state.

..tell us how you REALLY feel about Brodeur PK.. :P

its all about geometry.cory simple covers waaaayyyy more area, without having to slide all over the crease. the goal looks huge against marty now. with his one down pad. imo it likely that skate shot  goal gets stopped by corys butterfly.  lou made a good move to bring in schnieder, dont screw it up

This isn't about yesterday Colin. We don't need to breakdown goal by goal to see which ones were his fault or not. The key thing as an NHL goalie when you get left out to dry or face weird bounces is dealing with it and making some saves. It isn't always going to be easy out there, but you have to find a way. In the game prior, Schneider faced 3 breakaways or so and stopped them all. 

And as Sarge said, he never looked comfortable the entire game. He never looks comfortable. He is flopping and guessing nightly. In two games I felt the opposite feelings with both goalies. Against Washington, I felt Schneider was invincible and was not going to let in a single goal. Yesterday, I felt Brodeur was not going to make a save.

Yeah, I'm done with breaking down which goals are soft or weak.  It happens every game Brodeur starts and lets in a weak goal (so at least half the games) and you have Brodeur defenders either pointing out a huge save he made or saying it hit a stick or it did this - it doesn't matter.  He doesn't stop enough pucks.  Period.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm done with breaking down which goals are soft or weak.  It happens every game Brodeur starts and lets in a weak goal (so at least half the games) and you have Brodeur defenders either pointing out a huge save he made or saying it hit a stick or it did this - it doesn't matter.  He doesn't stop enough pucks.  Period.

This is a good way to put it.  I defend Marty a lot, because people on here bash him for every goal he gives up, no matter the circumstance or how irrational their arguments are.  But he does give up at least 1 BAD goal per game now and, with a team that has 0 margin for error, that proves fatal more often then not.

At the end of the day, the goalie needs to stop pucks and pick up W's.  Cory gives us the best opprtunity for both, so he needs to play the large majority of the games down the stretch if we are going to try and make the playoffs.  The feeling I had walking out of the Stadium yesterday was sadness for what seems like the "official" end of Brodeur's reign here.  It's always sad to see the end of a great one's career (unless they are luck enough to go out a champion - which is very rare).  However, the good part of this game is the fact that there is no way for anyone within the organization to deny that Cory is now the unequivocal the starter here .

Finally, some people commenting here really need to take a breath.  Yeah, the result of the game sucked, but it still is only a regular season game.  Some people are apocolyptic over this result.  Get a grip.

I think we all agree that Marty needs to retire. He doesn't put up NHL level numbers anymore, and it's getting more obvious every year. The reason I tend to stand up for Brodeur is because I think he is held to a very unfair standard. Granted, his play in the past raised the standards of what Devils fans expect in a goalie, but I feel like there's this notion here that every game is a potential shutout. I don't find that realistic. He's a 41 year old goalie who has put in more mileage then any goalie in history. Its clearly taking it's toll on him. We all knew it was gonna end eventually, but I just don't see the point of ripping him open every time his age shows.

I also don't think he's playing to compile stats. I think he plays because he truly believes he can still be the best and honestly doesn't know anything else. He's played since he could walk. Playing hockey has been his whole life, and he was one of the best in the world for nearly 20 years.  It's up to Lou and Deboer to make this transition as smooth as possible, and Lou is going to have to make the right decision this offseason. 

#30 "should get" 6-7 starts the rest of the way, but likely he'll get 9-10.   

All we can hope for is a fresh start after the Olympic break, where someway he can squeeze just a little bit more greatness out of himself.

We need at least 15 wins to make the playoffs, so if #30 can miraculously go 6-3 then I'll be very happy. 

I'll always give the greats one more chance to find their groove.

The problem with Marty and why I think this could be a messy Favre-esque divorce at the end of the year is that his best stretch in early November came when he was playing the most regularly.  He's probably thinking in his own mind if I could just be a starter again I'll play better, when it's really not the case and he has still been playing mostly regularly thanks to the compressed schedule and PDB 'not caring about stats'.

I just hope the Devils look at the numbers since that stretch in November.  I think CR posted them a while back, not pretty.

I just hope the Devils look at the numbers since that stretch in November.  I think CR posted them a while back, not pretty.

.881 save% since 11/27, 3 or more goals allowed in 9 out of his last 14 games, including 4+ five times.  Marty's given up 9 goals in his last 2 GP.  Cory's given up that many in his last eight. 

Not to pile on, and I'll always root hard for him whenever he's playing, but yeah, the numbers are ugly.  If he's not who he is and doesn't have his history, it's not even a debate as to what his new role is. 

Finally, some people commenting here really need to take a breath.  Yeah, the result of the game sucked, but it still is only a regular season game.  Some people are apocolyptic over this result.  Get a grip.

I respectfully disagree.  You're completely disregarding psychology.

This was the perfect test game -- these guys have no sack.  If they make the playoffs they don't have what it takes to win under pressure. This was the sort of game the typical Lamoriello Devils win, regardless of their season record.  It announced to the world The New Jersey Devils are done.  They really can't call on their past reputation - the Czechs set the tone and no one was capable of stepping up.  They quaked under the pressure.  They collectively wussed out playing like "we're no Jaromir Jagr - we can't do that"  I'm ashamed of them, frankly.

What bugs me is it's damaging to the  good players - the ones who need to develop who need to set up their break out.  This mindset will keep them all down unless someone steps up and leads. I dont quite think that's possible.  it's not their fault its just that they dont have the tools -- the guys at their disposal, not only their teachers but their movabe parts if you knwo what I mean -- the "team leaders" or "character guys" really aggressively believe they suck to the core of their being.  And they have to go, no matter how nice they are.

Edited by Pepperkorn

It used to be a guy would step up and shout I'm YOUR KIND OF PLAYER!" and work his ass off to live up to that. 

Now some hack has a decent run and the Devils say "You're our kind of guy!"  See the difference? 

They AREN'T our kind of guy --- I'll write it one more time:  THEY'RE LOSERS!  PLEASE GET RID OF THEM.

This Week16Last Week21New Jersey Devils22-20-11

nhl-devils.pngnhl-devils.png

Okay, now that Martin Brodeur has had the opportunity to play on terrible ice at Yankee Stadium, can the Devils just turn the goaltending reigns over to Cory Schneider? Loyalty is a big thing in sports, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the current team and the difference between Schneider and Brodeur indicates that it's time to ride Schneider. 
Key Injuries: None.

So. Even TSN agrees with us now, publicly. :P

Edited by njdevsftw

Wow.  What a total mental break down on pretty much everyone's part.

When you stock a team with "character guys" solely, this stuff happens.  Somehow the organization has confused character with loser. It's been a slow excruciatingly obvious shift for me.  I can't continue knocking the same guys over and over.  It just sucks when you have these talented vets do their job, set everyone up for a relaxed fun game - communication is flowing.  Guys on the cusp start seeing things -- and you know how fragile it all is and how some of the guys are not really in focus, but as a fan you have hope. Knowing the Devils of old, you feel fairly relaxed.

and then

Then all the fvckin' losers get all shocked and fvck everything up pressing trying to be the winners they are NOT.  They listen and nod and repeat it all back  then fvck EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSERS!  NO ONE CAN GROW BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE A LOSERS!  DAMMIT - this is on Pete for not getting the fvckin' deadwood out of the locker room.  There is no such thing as an intangible at this point.  :argh:  if they're not bringing points they're bringing LOSERVILLE!

YOU SUCK!  RETIRE!  QUIT HOCKEY!   Just ask to go to the AHL. PUHLEASE. 

and I'm not even writing about Marty.    Marty is just Zelig -- he unconsciously adopts the prevailing mentality.  He has none of his own - he just mirrors what's out there.  That empathy allows him to read the game - but it also sucks him into loserdom.  the man is SOOO lucky to have been on the right team at the right time.  He's proven time and time again he is NOT in control of the locker room, or ANY game or even his own game.  If he weren't such a loud-mouthed opinionated fvck, the team might not have gotten into this state -- but whatever.  Here we are, right?

PK you surprised me.

Why?

I'm not writing about Marty up there is that's what you think.  What I wrote about Marty i always say about Marty.  Maybe you missed the past 10 years? Marty is cute and stuff but a leader he is not nor will he ever be.  Any time anyone suggested it EVER I have flipped out.

as for who i am writing about.... well you have a look at the roster and the simple stats and figure it out.  The shocking thing is that those that woudl be bottom of the barrel have all been jettisoned by the organization...leaving WHO?  At least I know there must have been a typo when PDB said someone brought some spit to the roster -- clearly the p needed to be replaced with an h.  I feel better thinking about things that way.

Look at it this way Devils organization -- if someone can be intangibly great beyond paper -- well it goes the other way -- someone can be intangibly damaging - you can point to all the wonderful things -- WHO GIVES A DAMMMM?  It's resulting in doodoo!  AHHHHH I am SOO UPSET -- everything I feared is just being allowed to come to this GIGANTIC HORRIFIC FRUITION.  It's like spite even.  let's just prove Pepperkorn is talking about of her ass no matter HOW bad things get we won't do what she wants  EVER.  It's never been this terrible with this organization for me -- never.  not ever.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Now... If I wrote Scott Stevens sucked I'd be shocked at myself. 

I dont know if he was cold or just makes weird faces -- after the third goal he looked like he was going to poo on the bench.  I was just thinking "Dude that looked good, why do you look all upset?  What did I miss?"  I still chalk it up to being chilly (you should have had on a hat no matter how silly you felt you vain vain man!)

Anyhow -- right now, the play is so bad that its hard to see the root cause aside from just bad parts.  The bad parts are getting in the way of getting the good going at it's peak.  Too much emphasis has to be put on loserdudes to keep the fires burning.  It's an easy job but losers can't do it so the young guys or struggling guys can't dig out of it -- they have to focus too much on the team but the team CAN'T focus on the team because each individual has too much to think about just on himself.  It's a fiasco.