471 replies to this topic

#41 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:33 AM

A new place called "The Spot Lounge" just opened on Commerce street neat the corner of Mulberry. I walked past it a few times and there are always Devil fans in there before the game. We stopped in before the Philly game and the food was pretty good. Two people ate and had 2 drinks each for $30.

http://atthespot.net/

I checked out The Spot tonight and definitely liked it. The place reminds me a lot of what Arena Bar used to be. The only downside is that they don't have any beer on tap (the proprietor said it had something to do with a garage being under the bar and the keg lines would have to be too long), but the bottle selection is thorough. But the food was great, everything was relatively affordable, and the people working there were extremely friendly. Nice place.

It wasn't really much of a hockey crowd, though. Aside from me and my friends, there were only two other people in the bar who were headed to the game. But as gametime approached, the place still got pretty busy, despite the fact that they weren't really pulling in the hocey crowd (yet). I'm hoping this place catches on with more and more Devils fans.

All in all, I recomment The Spot to anyone who liked what Arena Bar used to be and to anyone looking for a change of pace from Scully's or Hell's Kitchen.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#42 thiswontwork

thiswontwork

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

I checked out The Spot tonight and definitely liked it. The place reminds me a lot of what Arena Bar used to be. The only downside is that they don't have any beer on tap (the proprietor said it had something to do with a garage being under the bar and the keg lines would have to be too long), but the bottle selection is thorough. But the food was great, everything was relatively affordable, and the people working there were extremely friendly. Nice place.

It wasn't really much of a hockey crowd, though. Aside from me and my friends, there were only two other people in the bar who were headed to the game. But as gametime approached, the place still got pretty busy, despite the fact that they weren't really pulling in the hocey crowd (yet). I'm hoping this place catches on with more and more Devils fans.

All in all, I recomment The Spot to anyone who liked what Arena Bar used to be and to anyone looking for a change of pace from Scully's or Hell's Kitchen.

If you don't mind walking but like free parkign I suggest parking on the Norh End of Halsey and trying Killkennys Ale House ( http://www.kilkennyalehouse.net/ ) , Mcgoverns ( http://www.mcgovernstavern.com/ ) , Nicks in Newark ( www.nicksinnewark.com ) and then crawl over to Maize (not quite the sports bar, but neither is theater square grill but this is my Saint Pat's day bar crawl list now :joker: ), the Key Club, 60 Park, the Spot, Sullys and if your still standing and didn't miss the game you will be a very happy devils fan :boogie:

#43 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

If you don't mind walking but like free parkign I suggest parking on the Norh End of Halsey and trying Killkennys Ale House ( http://www.kilkennyalehouse.net/ ) , Mcgoverns ( http://www.mcgovernstavern.com/ ) , Nicks in Newark ( www.nicksinnewark.com ) and then crawl over to Maize (not quite the sports bar, but neither is theater square grill but this is my Saint Pat's day bar crawl list now :joker: ), the Key Club, 60 Park, the Spot, Sullys and if your still standing and didn't miss the game you will be a very happy devils fan :boogie:

To hell with Belmar, I think you may have outlined my new St. Pat's plans. :cheers:
Posted Image

#44 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

To hell with Belmar, I think you may have outlined my new St. Pat's plans. :cheers:

We have a home game on St Patty's day, too...Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#45 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

We have a home game on St Patty's day, too...Hmmmmmmmmmm.

It's on like Donkey Kong's beer bong.
Posted Image

#46 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

food around the rock: maaaaaaaaaaaaad expensive.
Posted Image Posted Image

#47 thiswontwork

thiswontwork

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Well that's entirely determined by how far you go from the Rock. Someone mentioned Hamburgao but you have to check out Altas Horas on Ferry street by Sol De Mar, espectially for post game activities. I am willing to concede I usually have a few beverages in me when I go there, but they are 24/7 and they have a sandwich that is steak, chicken, egg, bacon, hamburger and a few other things, I had to break it apart to get my mouth around it, and I think it was 7 dollars.

#48 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Looks like I'm FINALLY gonna check out Boi Na Brasa before this Saturday's game with my folks. I've been wanting to eat at this place since I first heard about it last season, but could never seem to get there. Before going, does anyone have any advice? Like what time to show up, what to order (is there even a choice? Or is it just meat sliced off swords?), etc.?
Posted Image

#49 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

Boi Na Brasa is AMAZING! I'm still not sure what the difference between the BBQ Rodizio and the Sirlion Rodizio is (other than $2), but hot damn was the food good! The top sirlion was the best. The chicken hearts were surprisingly decent ... kind of mushroomy. I wasn't a fan of the bull hump. The pork, pork sausage, chicken, turkey wrapped in bacon and prime rib were all excellent.

Simply amazing.
Posted Image

#50 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

Coming from Manhattan, I definitely disagree. I feel like I'm at a 30% off sale at all the restaurants when I'm in Newark. Plus its definitely nice not seeing $13 cocktails on the menus.

Hell's Kitchen is one of the biggest bargains around. You just cannot top the $25 beer vessel, which even comes with mozzarella sticks!

#51 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Coming from Manhattan, I definitely disagree. I feel like I'm at a 30% off sale at all the restaurants when I'm in Newark. Plus its definitely nice not seeing $13 cocktails on the menus.

Hell's Kitchen is one of the biggest bargains around. You just cannot top the $25 beer vessel, which even comes with mozzarella sticks!

For rizzle.

I need to hit up HK before a game again. Maybe the day after Christmas...

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#52 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Finally made it to the Arena Bar (Lounge?) tonight. Only took me a season and a half.

The drinks were funky, but I blame the girl I was with for ordering a drink with a flower and an asian fruit in it, of COURSE it was gonna be funky.

Food wasn't bad. I see why people like it, and also why they don't. Tiny place, I was expecting much more - is this because they're still working on the sports bar section?

In all, I liked it as a place to get a quick drink, but it's no Hell's Kitchen...

#53 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

I was checking out the HOF Boards. Someone said that Brick City Bar and Grille is supposed to open on New Year's Eve.

I have tix to the Sunday Jan. 4 game against Ottawa. I'm hesitant to try it then for fear it will be too packed. But we'll see, I guess.

#54 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

I was checking out the HOF Boards. Someone said that Brick City Bar and Grille is supposed to open on New Year's Eve.

I have tix to the Sunday Jan. 4 game against Ottawa. I'm hesitant to try it then for fear it will be too packed. But we'll see, I guess.

I have a feeling that place will be packed no matter what game you go for, just because of the visibility. But if you do wind up going, be sure to let me know.

I was talking with a few people on the street before the game and they suggested one on Market to the right of the Gateway - is this Scully's? I've never been there, or anywhere past the Gateway for that matter.

#55 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have a feeling that place will be packed no matter what game you go for, just because of the visibility. But if you do wind up going, be sure to let me know.

I was talking with a few people on the street before the game and they suggested one on Market to the right of the Gateway - is this Scully's? I've never been there, or anywhere past the Gateway for that matter.

Scully's is on Clinton St. When you come out of the Gateway, it's basically the street straight across from you, along the right side of the TD Bank. If you haven't ventured to that side of the neighborhood yet, you should consider giving it a try. Scully's is my favorite pre- and post-game stop and The Spot (one block further from the arena on Commerce St.) is a good place too.

Does anyone know if Arena Bar/Lounge/whatever has opened its "sports bar" yet?
Posted Image

#56 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Scully's is on Clinton St. When you come out of the Gateway, it's basically the street straight across from you, along the right side of the TD Bank. If you haven't ventured to that side of the neighborhood yet, you should consider giving it a try. Scully's is my favorite pre- and post-game stop and The Spot (one block further from the arena on Commerce St.) is a good place too.

Okay, thats the place the guy was talking about...I might try that before the game next Friday.

I don't think it has, I was surprised how tiny the Arena bar is. Again, it is possible that I missed the sports bar section if it's even open, but I think the room I was in was the only one open. Could be wrong though.

#57 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

According to this post, it has opened.

#58 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

According to their website, the Brick City Bar and Grille is going o open on January 6.

#59 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

According to their website, the Brick City Bar and Grille is going o open on January 6.

Brick City Bar & Grill

Hmm, the Devils are in Carolina that night. It'd be nice to head on over :rolling: there to watch the game ...

#60 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

According to this post, it has opened.

haha I forgot I even asked that question in the Marketplace forum, so I didn't even know njdevil26 had already answered my question. :doh1:

Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users