Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nats signed Max Scherzer. Of course they did.

But don't worry guys, we signed Cuddyer and John Mayberry! And we still have no actual SS which has been a problem since Reyes left. Fun times.

Fortunately, as far as pitching goes, the Mets don't need to unload the (non-existent) coffers to bring in a Scherzer-type.  The Mets should be very cost-effective there for a while.  I never like the idea of spending that kind of money on 30-year-old pitchers anyway. 

But yeah, that fact doesn't make Sandy any easier to take.  At this point, I'll take a guy who may not hit much at SS, but will make all of the plays in the field. 

Howie Rose was on with Joe and Evan last week sometime, and though the call was mostly about the Islanders, the very end saw the discussion turn towards the Mets.  Howie said that Flores is working his ass off down in Florida and is trying to make the most out of this opportunity (Howie also made it a point to say that Tejada never showed anywhere near this kind of drive or dedication).  Great for Flores, but the Mets still screwed this up royally...if you have any confidence in Flores as a major-league SS, you don't move him to second.  That's YEARS of SS development he missed out on. 

Curious to see what happens with Murph...looking more and more like the Mets will have him play out the season, then let him walk for no return.  I could do the SD thing and throw a sh!t-fit about that (losing a player for nothing), but I always come back to the same place...Murph probably isn't bringing back a significant haul (maybe that changes if he's having a career season next year, but he's too ordinary at most things), and if he IS having a big year, the Mets might as well keep him (especially if the Mets are contending). 

And Evan said it perfectly...Sandy is about as non-creative as it gets for a GM, so does anyone really think a guy like Desmond is ever coming to the Mets?

Technically you don't ever lose big FA's for nothing, you get a compensatory pick lol

And I get tired of the argument Sandy can't do anything, it's just an excuse not to go outside the box ever. Look at the Yankees, they have zero flexibility in terms of being stuck on big long-term deals and Cashman STILL found a way to make a bunch of moves and improve them where he could this offseason. Might not work but at least he IS trying.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh no, I agree on Sandy...he is not proactive at all.  And not creative to boot.  There's guys who find ways to make do with lower payrolls.  Most of Sandy's moves have been a joke.  Like I've said many times, he got two huge breaks in that Beltran was good AND healthy in his final Met season, and Dickey had a career year at just the right time.  Sandy had nothing to do with either player coming here in the first place, or their succeeding at ideal times. 

It's disheartening to see the Nats essentially turn into the new Braves (just as we learn how to pound the Braves) and here come the Marlins again, the eternal thorn in our side.

In the past I was too conservative regarding hoarding pitching and the like, worrying about injuries, worrying about having extra guys just in case a "can't miss" busts. But at some point you just have to go for broke and add the slugger. Make the big move. Cashen did it, Phillips did it, and it's time for Sandy to do it. Syndergaard as a centerpiece for a Tulowitzki trade. DO IT.

If now is not the time then when? Wright I 32, Granderson 34 by opening day. Cuddyer is what 36?

No to Troy.  Check out his career home/away splits:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=tulowtr01&year=Career&t=b

He makes too much money and is injury-prone to boot.  But I agree with the principle of what you're saying...I'm all for a "go for it" move too.  Just not for Tulo.   

In the past I was too conservative regarding hoarding pitching and the like, worrying about injuries, worrying about having extra guys just in case a "can't miss" busts. But at some point you just have to go for broke and add the slugger. Make the big move. Cashen did it, Phillips did it, and it's time for Sandy to do it. Syndergaard as a centerpiece for a Tulowitzki trade. DO IT.

If now is not the time then when? Wright I 32, Granderson 34 by opening day. Cuddyer is what 36?

The great thing in Cashen's favor is that the right guys were available at the right time.  Keith Hernandez was actually a bit of a risk...I think he was already one of the players suspected of using coke when the Mets traded for him (but he was clearly still in his prime), and I know Whitey Herzog couldn't stand him anymore.  But both Hernandez and Carter still had prime years left (Carter actually declined pretty quickly after '86), and neither really had injury issues before they became Mets. 

The problem (and I'm not defending Sandy here...I don't think he would be any more proactive if the right guy WAS out there just waiting to be acquired) is that that sure-fire guy who makes so much sense on paper just isn't out there right now (the way Piazza was, which chubby-chaser Phillips almost blew until ownership told him to stop fvcking around).  Look at Desmond...three straight years of OB+SLG decline, Ks have gone way up, and he's going to be looking for a massive payday for what might be declining skills at the plate.  Tulo is injury-prone and not nearly as dangerous outside of Coors Field. 

If you look at the kinds of players Keith and Gary were when Cashen traded for them, they were clearly no-brainers (and the farm was chock full of bodies...the Mets didn't miss anyone they dealt).  That no-brainer deal hasn't presented itself yet. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• 8 months later...