Has Adam Larsson Really Improved as a Defenseman?

Devs3cups

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/10/19/4855328/has-adam-larsson-really-improved-as-a-defenseman

I know this article was posted at the start of the season, but I would like to know your opinion on Larssons development so far. Are you satisfied with him so far? If not, what has to be worked on? Should he be traded ? Will he become a great d-man for us? etc.

I think that Larsson is a good defenceman, that still needs to work on his skating and movement, but in a few years will be great for us.

He sucked until he got paired with gelinas, then for some reason he started to improve dramatically. So much so that at his age, it's safe to say he looked like he would at least be a top pairing guy, maybe not elite. And then he got hurt. At this point he just needs to bulk up a bit, gets tossed around to easily.

Edited by Sneax

Larsson is a keeper.  He is only 21.   I wish Larry Robinson were still here to develop him more (no offense to Scotty, but Larry was just a great teacher). 

I think mentally, because he seems to be always paired with older players, he is too hesitant and defers to the vets, instead of playing instinctively.   When he is paired with younger players he tends to be himself.  He and Gelinas were solid and had a great chemistry.

D-Men take far more time to develop.  He could be a staple here for the next decade with the right coaching.

• Like 3

This thread will end well, ugh.

Larsson is a keeper.  He is only 21.   I wish Larry Robinson were still here to develop him more (no offense to Scotty, but Larry was just a great teacher). 

I think mentally, because he seems to be always paired with older players, he is too hesitant and defers to the vets, instead of playing instinctively.   When he is paired with younger players he tends to be himself.  He and Gelinas were solid and had a great chemistry.

D-Men take far more time to develop.  He could be a staple here for the next decade with the right coaching.

... I take that back.  Summed up perfectly right here.

Yes I think so, his confidence sky rocketed this year, specifically, as it's already been mentioned in this thread, when he got paired with Gelly. I don't think anyone doubts his offensive game, he's naturally good with that, and I think Robinson helped him there, but I think Stevens helped him this year be a more sound defensemen, knowing when to pinch, when to stay home, playing stronger along the boards etc. So my answer is yes, as long as PDB stays as far away from him as possible, we'll do just fine lol

I just hope we don't get back to scratching him (or Gelinas for that matter) when everyone comes back, since Pete has a hard-on for Merrill and the vets are going to stay in the lineup if healthy.

Merrill is succeeding where Gelinas is faltering.  It's nice that Gelinas provides offense, but he cannot continue to be as defensively inept as he has been and stay in the lineup.

Merrill is succeeding where Gelinas is faltering.  It's nice that Gelinas provides offense, but he cannot continue to be as defensively inept as he has been and stay in the lineup.

I can see NJ dressing 7 defensmen for a long time with Gelinas getting the odd shift up front on the 4th line. Give Gelinas 100% offensive zone faceoffs on defense, PP and 4th line minutes. I can't see Merrill going anywhere, DeBoer loves him.

+ 1

I was really enjoying Larsson's play up till when he got hurt. I look forward to his return.

IMO they're both faltering. I've seen Merrill caught out of position a couple times in bad spots. Not sure either needs to be benched or sent down, but it's not just Gelly having growing pains.

I really like larsson, to me he will eventually be a solid #2/ borderline #1. He still has plenty of time to develop, but defensively he is much more responsible than gelinas and is younger than him. I think he has suffered from a logjam at d the past 2 years but patience is needed for any young d man.

To me the talk of larsson for yakupov is silly, we would regret that trade in 4 years (not that it's going to happen). I'm also fine with a 7 d rotation for the foreseeable future.

IMO they're both faltering. I've seen Merrill caught out of position a couple times in bad spots. Not sure either needs to be benched or sent down, but it's not just Gelly having growing pains.

He's been better than Gelinas lately.  A few breakdowns but he's still making smart plays in the defensive zone.  I don't think either guy needs to be sent down, or should be, but Gelinas could probably use a break.

He's been better than Gelinas lately.  A few breakdowns but he's still making smart plays in the defensive zone.  I don't think either guy needs to be sent down, or should be, but Gelinas could probably use a break.

I don't know if a break will help. IMO you learn by doing. Right now, he's still bringing a lot to the table, and the more he plays, especially if he's paired with the right guy, the fewer mistakes he'll make going forward.

Larsson is a keeper. He is only 21. I wish Larry Robinson were still here to develop him more (no offense to Scotty, but Larry was just a great teacher).

I think mentally, because he seems to be always paired with older players, he is too hesitant and defers to the vets, instead of playing instinctively. When he is paired with younger players he tends to be himself. He and Gelinas were solid and had a great chemistry.

D-Men take far more time to develop. He could be a staple here for the next decade with the right coaching.

This sums it all up right here. Great post Manta.

I don't know if a break will help. IMO you learn by doing. Right now, he's still bringing a lot to the table, and the more he plays, especially if he's paired with the right guy, the fewer mistakes he'll make going forward.

He's getting fewer shots on goal lately.  His mistakes aren't just from Zidlicky, he's being beat 1 on 1 basically every game, he's flubbing passes.   Gelinas came up and started doing a lot of complex things right away and doing them well, and to be a successful NHL defenseman he'll have to master those, but he looks every bit like a guy who's lost some confidence.  Only natural.  Still, I think taking a break and simplifying his game for a bit wouldn't hurt.  It's not punishment.

He's getting fewer shots on goal lately.  His mistakes aren't just from Zidlicky, he's being beat 1 on 1 basically every game, he's flubbing passes.   Gelinas came up and started doing a lot of complex things right away and doing them well, and to be a successful NHL defenseman he'll have to master those, but he looks every bit like a guy who's lost some confidence.  Only natural.  Still, I think taking a break and simplifying his game for a bit wouldn't hurt.  It's not punishment.

It doesn't hurt to sit a guy for one game when you have decent options behind him. This doesn't have to be like Edmonton where they always play after mistakes because there's nobody else to play. He can have a break and watch from the stands for a night

I agree I hope when he comes back DeBoer doesn't screw with his head.

I agree I hope when he comes back DeBoer doesn't screw with his head.

larsson needed some head screwing, and looking at his improved play behind the net, it appears to have worked. now, time to sit eric and have him watch what the vets do in various breakout situations. and watch how fayne handles a 1 vs 1 against speed

I agree, I think Merrill is the least prepared.   He needs more seasoning and will probably be sent down as everyone is gettting healthy.

I agree, I think Merrill is the least prepared.   He needs more seasoning and will probably be sent down as everyone is gettting healthy.

i was thinking this exactly as well.. its quite clear he isnt really ready to be up here yet.. he makes just way too many mistakes on a nightly basis that if they dont cost the team they are damn near close to costing the team.. no doubt in my mind that he will be a nice addition to the unit to have once he is ready but he just isnt there yet.

Exactly. While hes done an admirable job stepping up to this level, Merrill is not NHL ready. His skating needs work, too. He should be the man sent down when everyone is healthy.