39 replies to this topic

#21 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Chris Carpenter!!! What a pitching performance, topping Roy Halladay on the road... What a game...

Cardinals advance! Phailures go HOME. AHAHAHA.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 October 2011 - 10:08 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#22 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Two great games of baseball.

In the Zona game, Chris Young with one of the greatest catches ever that will prob be forgotten. I thought Hill should have Bunted the runners over when they had 1st and 2nd with no out. He's a batter that strikes out and pops up a lot.

As for the Phillies, I think some serious changes need to be made because that offense is being paid to do so little. Ryan Howard...worst contract ever obviously! Rollins is probably gone. Not sure what Utley's status is, but not sure what you can expect from him moving forward.

Carpenter was dominant, just an incredible playoff performance. But too many pitchers have done that to the Phillies in the last few years. And Roy Halladay's first inning struggles bit him in the ass this time. Surprised he got out of it down 1-run all things considered.

The difference is this series might have been Cliff Lee's 2nd game start. He was supposed to be the piece that put them over the top (or the Pence pickup)and the offense spotted him 4-runs, and he blew it.

Not too excited with any of these match-ups moving forward. All my favourite guys are out.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

As for the Phillies, I think some serious changes need to be made because that offense is being paid to do so little. Ryan Howard...worst contract ever obviously!

Not nearly as bad as A-Rod being locked up for SIX more years at $30 million per and already declining at an alarming rate.

Funny how 95% of baseball coverage this year has been Yankees-Sox-Phillies and all of them died like dogs :clap: Maybe the Phillies can buy one more Cy Young winner, that might put them back over the top :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

Not nearly as bad as A-Rod being locked up for SIX more years at $30 million per and already declining at an alarming rate.

Funny how 95% of baseball coverage this year has been Yankees-Sox-Phillies and all of them died like dogs :clap: Maybe the Phillies can buy one more Cy Young winner, that might put them back over the top :P

That was a joke because of my comments earlier. A-Rod definitely has the worst deal, followed by Werth.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, that catch by Young was incredible. Tough loss for the DBacks; they really had Axford on the ropes after tying it. And oh what could have been had they not traded Haren... Still, their organization is headed in the right direction. Kennedy and Hudson are young, cheap rotation stalwarts and Upton is one of the best player's to build a franchise around. Their farm system is getting loaded on pitching too; Jarrod Parker, Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley (both 2011 draftees), Tyler Skaggs, and even a couple of their other 2011 draft choices (Anthony Meo and Andrew Chafin) have good upside as starters.

Although I was happy to see the Cards knock out the Phils, it's still a big shocker to me. I agree that Lee's Game 2 start was the difference-maker; they looked to be on their way to 2-0 until Lee imploded. Their lineup is going to need some work. Victorino isn't going to duplicate this kind of season, Rollins is an impending free agent, and Utley, while still productive, will be another year older and has struggled to stay in the lineup for a full season over the last couple years. They're also set to lose Ryan Madson who is dominant relief ace. Fortunately for them, they still have the best rotation in baseball to lean on...

At this point, the Rangers are my World Series pick. Their lineup is loaded.

Edit: As far as awful contracts go, I can't see how Crawford's is any better than Werth's at this point. Crawford is owed $16M more over the same amount of years. Werth at least was somewhat useful this season. Crawford was horrible. And despite the tongue in cheek Howard contract comment, it still ranks up there as one of the worst right now.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 October 2011 - 10:56 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

Still can't believe how easy Carpenter made it look out there tonight.

According to ESPN Stats and Information...

Chris Carpenter is the 3rd pitcher to throw a shutout allowing 3 hits or fewer in a "winner-take-all" postseason game. The others were Sandy Koufax in 1965 World Series and Johnny Kucks in 1956 World Series.

Pretty damn impressive. As for Halladay, it's been known that his 1st inning is his worst inning, and it carried over into the playoffs. From ESPN again...

Roy Halladay 2011 Regular Season 1st Inning All Other Innings ERA 3.66 2.14 Opp BA .274 .233 K-BB 34-5 186-30 >>Allowed all 4 of his runs in postseason in 1st inning.

logokx.jpg

#27 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Chris Carpenter with a gem!!!! what a show he put on. completely herbed up the phillies.

thank god the phils lost i would not be able to take the philles fans being happy longer than i am

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#28 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

INGE! You the Man! Tiger 4 life baby! Thank you for knotting this one up!!!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#29 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

INGE! You the Man! Tiger 4 life baby! Thank you for knotting this one up!!!!!

SMH DMWTX :)

#30 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

sh!t! Well, gotta win 3 straight now boys! Backs to the wall.... come out SWINGING!!!!

I know it woulda been a risky call, but I wished Leland replaced Cabrera with a pinch runner who coulda out run Cruz's AWESOME throw in the 8th, when he was in scoring position with 1 out. Damnit!

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#31 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

HOPE the Tigers can push the series to game 7 tonight. But it looks like Holland has been drinking his chocolate milk today, so who knows? Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#32 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

oof! Rally cap time!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#33 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Pujols-Hate Them but damn 3 Home Runs,6rbi and 5 hits. Made history alongside Babe Ruth and Jackson that game

#34 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Pujols-Hate Them but damn 3 Home Runs,6rbi and 5 hits. Made history alongside Babe Ruth and Jackson that game

dude went off.. but why do you hate him?

#35 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

No comments about one of the wildest games of all time? Though I still want Texas to win, that game was the Cards' season in a nutshell.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#36 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

Lance Berkman had to be the best value signing of free agency last year. What an amazing year he's had.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#37 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

its sad to say this, because it seemed like last night was a very good game.

but im sorry, i realllly couldn't give a sh!t about this world series.. part of me wishes it was already over. sometimes, when your team is out, continuing to watch after 200 games is tough to do

#38 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I don't mean to jinx them, but I can't believe the Cards, with a 3-run lead, are only 6 outs away from a World Series title. A team that took a huge blow losing their ace Adam Wainwright just before the season... a team that looked completely out of the playoff picture in late August... a team that most people figured the Phillies would breeze by in the Divisional Series... and a team that was down to its final out, it's final STRIKE, just last night. What an incredible run.

I can't imagine what it must feel to Texas though. Back-to-back years in the World Series and nothing to show for it. This one would really hurt too considering the circumstances.

Edited by nmigliore, 28 October 2011 - 09:40 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#39 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have to admit, though I was rooting for Texas and them winning their first is a better story than the Cardinals winning their eleventh, the Cardinals' team winning it is ultimately one of the best stories sports has seen in a while. With all they have had to overcome and how many times they were literally do-or-die, it really is unbelievable that they're in this position.

Though I'm not a big fan of him personally you could make a case for LaRussa being the best manager of all time. Certainly Dave Duncan is second to none as far as a pitching coach.

#40 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Just an incredible run. The chances of them winning the world series at the start of September had to be 0.01%. Incredible run. As good as the Cards were, and they deserve all the credit, you can't help but think of all the managerial msitakes Ron Washington made during the World Series.

The Rangers for the second year in a row were the more talented team. A shame they couldn't win one. Feel bad for everyone in that clubhouse.

Edit: And people boo Gary Bettman. Bud Selig deserves more boos, and he has a damn sheet to read names. Are you kidding me? What a dolt.

Edited by devilsrule33, 28 October 2011 - 10:35 PM.

logokx.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users