NFL Week 2!!!

CRASHER

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11531210/minnesota-vikings-say-adrian-peterson-likely-play-week-3

"Today's decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday's game, this is clearly a very important issue," Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf said in a statement.

"On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved. To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child.

"At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian's fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process."

I always wonder if the wordsmiths who write these cover-all-bases eloquent statements think that people can't see the complete phoniness hiding in the eloquence.  Minnesota got their asses whupped and realized that AP not playing seriously impacts their ability to win football games, and that their season could be over in a hurry if AP isn't back out on the field soon.   

Basically, just come out and say "We know Adrian beat a four-year-old child with a stick, switch, whatever you want to call it, hard enough to leave several cuts and for him to be indicted on child abuse charges, but the bottom line is we need to win football games.  So fvck it, Adrian's playing because we're sh!t without him, and we'll hide behind 'due process' even though we've already seen the child's marks and know how they got there!"  Because we all know if this was some special-teamer or a backup, of course Minnesota would stand by him exactly the same way. 

Not saying I'm naïve...we know the better the player is, the more rules are going to be bent and the more heads are going to look the other way or just bury themselves in the sand...but it just cracks me up how these franchises think that releasing these fancy statements will have us all saying "OK, no problem, we know you putting AP back on the active roster has nothing to do with team performance.  You just wanna do the right thing...bless your hearts!"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11531210/minnesota-vikings-say-adrian-peterson-likely-play-week-3

"Today's decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday's game, this is clearly a very important issue," Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf said in a statement.

"On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved. To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child.

"At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian's fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process."

I always wonder if the wordsmiths who write these cover-all-bases eloquent statements think that people can't see the complete phoniness hiding in the eloquence.  Minnesota got their asses whupped and realized that AP not playing seriously impacts their ability to win football games, and that their season could be over in a hurry if AP isn't back out on the field soon.   

Basically, just come out and say "We know Adrian beat a four-year-old child with a stick, switch, whatever you want to call it, hard enough to leave several cuts and for him to be indicted on child abuse charges, but the bottom line is we need to win football games.  So fvck it, Adrian's playing because we're sh!t without him, and we'll hide behind 'due process' even though we've already seen the child's marks and know how they got there!"  Because we all know if this was some special-teamer or a backup, of course Minnesota would stand by him exactly the same way. 

Not saying I'm naïve...we know the better the player is, the more rules are going to be bent and the more heads are going to look the other way or just bury themselves in the sand...but it just cracks me up how these franchises think that releasing these fancy statements will have us all saying "OK, no problem, we know you putting AP back on the active roster has nothing to do with team performance.  You just wanna do the right thing...bless your hearts!"

just keep some things in mind.  right now everything the NFL has done over the last week as been 100% based on impulse, and on the reaction of the media... stuff like this could be a slippery slope of just caving in to the media.  AP will get suspended when he is convicted... and please see the difference between this case and other cases around the NFL.  it is absolutely unacceptable and sooo sad what AP did, but realize this was his way of trying to teach his kid a lesson.. he didn't knock the sh!t out of his fiance out of rage. 

its messed up what he did, and he will get the consequences.  but see both sides of the deal.

Edited by Onddeck

just keep some things in mind.  right now everything the NFL has done over the last week as been 100% based on impulse, and on the reaction of the media... stuff like this could be a slippery slope of just caving in to the media.  AP will get suspended when he is convicted... and please see the difference between this case and other cases around the NFL.  it is absolutely unacceptable and sooo sad what AP did, but realize this was his way of trying to teach his kid a lesson.. he didn't knock the sh!t out of his fiance out of rage. 

its messed up what he did, and he will get the consequences.  but see both sides of the deal.

I didn't bring up anyone else's cases in my post or attempt to make any comparisons.   

That kid is four years old and is defenseless to begin with, even moreso against a physical specimen like AP...the guy is pure muscle.  AP really needed a friggin' stick that left welts and cuts all over that kid's body to teach his kid a lesson?  And what lesson is that exactly?  That it's OK to whale on people that can't protect themselves or fight back for perceived wrongs?  Like I've said, though I won't be smacking my daughter, I can understand a quick whap on the butt or something along those lines.  AP crossed the line, I don't care what anyone says.       

And on another note, I felt bad for Henne, he didn't even have a line it looked like, he had the snap the football and throw it away right away. Kills a QB when your line's that bad. Looks like if Henne had the line that Peyton does, he'd be a quite decent qb! Shame!

This is why Bartles does not start.

Anheiser-Busch basically fired a warning shot to the NFL that they better get their sh!t together... This after Radisson pulled their sponsorship from the Vikings. The corporate sponsors are getting pissed. The league is REALLY gonna start squirming now.

Edited by MadDog2020

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/16/nfl-anheuser-busch-sponsor-domestic-abuse-sponsor/15726217/

"We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season. We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league."

You manufacture low-quality booze that people drink simply for the sake of getting drunk, lol!  It sure ain't for the great taste.

Seriously though, if these big companies feel the slightest bit threatened that their image will be damaged in any way by associating with a tarnished entity, they'll run for the hills faster than you can say "Oh sh!t, what if some group or groups try to boycott us?!"   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Anheiser-Busch basically fired a warning shot to the NFL that they better get their sh!t together. This after Radisson pulled their sponsorship from the Vikings. The corporate sponsors are getting pissed. The league is REALLY gonna start squirming now.

..according to WFAN, PepsiCo has also voiced concern, aswell as Nike.

This is how Roger Goodell will ultimately fall on the sword. Every judgment that Goodell has acted on (or failed to act on) is currently being brought into question by the court of public opinion. From the Rice fiasco, all the way to his handling of the "Redskins" name earlier this year. The NFL has done a splendid job ignoring negative attention.. however, when dollars & cents begin to downtempo, THAT's when you'll hear the owners change their tune. Once one sponsor drops\decreases their advertisement(s), it will be a domino effect. Goodell will be the sacrificial lamb, with the next Commissioner trumpeted in as the savior who'll "clean up" the NFL.

And Goodell's dissapeared for the last few days, nowhwere to be found.

by design I'm sure, under advisement of whatever PR firm they're listening to.

A perfect storm was created. NFL die hards have been simmering for years about the pandering (Pinktober) the ruined uniforms, the no kickoff returns, the 2 hand touch rules on QB's, an inability to play defense, and now this year a deluge of penalty flags. Now their voices have been met by various other groups outraged at the hypocrisy of the league and the way it deals with delinquent players.

Thing is this type of stuff has been going on for YEARS.  Every offseason we had players shot, players arrested, domestic abuse incidents. I guess this year we had so many big ones clustered together that the media decided to shine a light on EVERYTHING. I mean if this leads to the permanent eradication of thug culture from the game, I'm all for it. But it's going to be a painful transition...cleaning up the league will not be easy

Edited by '7'

Anheiser-Busch basically fired a warning shot to the NFL that they better get their sh!t together... This after Radisson pulled their sponsorship from the Vikings. The corporate sponsors are getting pissed. The league is REALLY gonna start squirming now.

Mark Cuban was wayyy aheead of the curve on this one eh?? :lol:

I think it's funny that not even ONE HEARING about illegal hits and/or fines for high hits and the like has even been MENTIONED after two weeks of football......that's kinda unheard of....

If Goodell falls painfull and dies slowly on the sword it's all been worth it......

by design I'm sure, under advisement of whatever PR firm they're listening to.

A perfect storm was created. NFL die hards have been simmering for years about the pandering (Pinktober) the ruined uniforms, the no kickoff returns, the 2 hand touch rules on QB's, an inability to play defense, and now this year a deluge of penalty flags. Now their voices have been met by various other groups outraged at the hypocrisy of the league and the way it deals with delinquent players.

Thing is this type of stuff has been going on for YEARS. Every offseason we had players shot, players arrested, domestic abuse incidents. I guess this year we had so many big ones clustered together that the media decided to shine a light on EVERYTHING. I mean if this leads to the permanent eradication of thug culture from the game, I'm all for it. But it's going to be a painful transition...cleaning up the league will not be easy

Thug culture will never be eliminated from the NFL in my lifetime anyway. It makes up too much of the talent pool, and SEC schools and high school programs show no sign of departing from their reading optional policies.

Can there be any doubt that Jameis Winston will be a first round pick regardless of how the current scandals play out. Ultimately from each team's standpoint, it's about winning games. The thugs have proven to be very good at the sport. Peterson, Rice and Hardy might become pariahs, but there will be ten more just like them ready to take their place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And on cue AP's now been quarantined from the team till his case has been resolved, so we likely won't be seeing him again this season since his trial isn't till next year:

"This has been an ongoing and deliberate process since last Friday's news. In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team's decision to revisit the situation regardingAdrian Peterson. In response, the League informed the team of the option to place Adrian on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list, which will require that Adrian remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved. After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian.

We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role - and the responsibilities that go with it - as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community.

While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian. We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community. Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well.

We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is

the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision. -Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf"

Kevin Seifert ‏@SeifertESPN  13m

Peterson must stay away from team until legal issues resolved, per #Vikings announcement. Trial not expected until 2015, so...

Edited by NJDevs4978

Almost everyone involved comes off as so phony.  Overlong well-crafted see-through fancy PR statements don't hide that. 

Minnesota reactivates AP because they saw what life on the field would be like without him.  Then Radisson drops the Vikings because of that decision, so of course now it's an instant about-face, but heaven forbid either statement had a shred of honestly in them.

All that's happening is that the NFL and its sponsors are watching and gauging the public reaction and THEN reacting, and trying to make it look like they're saying "See, we think this stuff is bad too!  Very bad and we've known that all along!  We're sensitive to it, always have been!  We just didn't say anything about it until we were forced to make ourselves look like we're above all of this...I mean, you know, until we had to!"  Sure, after it takes thousands of fans, sportswriters, and talking heads to get you to see that you should've shown that you were sensitive to this stuff to begin with, as opposed to people basically having to force your hands. 

It's actually stunning how hard the NFL brand is getting hit...for so long, even when they did things that we didn't love, it felt like they could just about do no wrong.  It's all come crashing down so hard and so fast.  Yes, they'll survive this (we'll see if Goddell does), but who saw any of THIS coming a few months ago?  The actual GAME of football isn't much more than a footnote right now.    

Going back to the on-game stuff (but sorta related)....has there been a mention of a SINGLE fine...penalty....suspension.....of ANY type for some ON THE FIELD stuff in the first two weeks of the season? That's kinda unheard of too.....the worms are so busy covering their asses they can't be the "illegal hit police" any more???

Almost everyone involved comes off as so phony.  Overlong well-crafted see-through fancy PR statements don't hide that. 

Minnesota reactivates AP because they saw what life on the field would be like without him.  Then Radisson drops the Vikings because of that decision, so of course now it's an instant about-face, but heaven forbid either statement had a shred of honestly in them.

All that's happening is that the NFL and its sponsors are watching and gauging the public reaction and THEN reacting, and trying to make it look like they're saying "See, we think this stuff is bad too!  Very bad and we've known that all along!  We're sensitive to it, always have been!  We just didn't say anything about it until we were forced to make ourselves look like we're above all of this...I mean, you know, until we had to!"  Sure, after it takes thousands of fans, sportswriters, and talking heads to get you to see that you should've shown that you were sensitive to this stuff to begin with, as opposed to people basically having to force your hands. 

It's actually stunning how hard the NFL brand is getting hit...for so long, even when they did things that we didn't love, it felt like they could just about do no wrong.  It's all come crashing down so hard and so fast.  Yes, they'll survive this (we'll see if Goddell does), but who saw any of THIS coming a few months ago?  The actual GAME of football isn't much more than a footnote right now.    

Here's the question though, would a single fan stop watching or going to games even if Rice or Peterson were not even suspended for a single game?  Maybe a few, and maybe you'll get a few protesters outside the league office and outside of stadiums, although you had just one protester show up outside of the Ravens' stadium with a sign about domestic violence.  I know of not a single Patriots fan that has stopped watching Patriots games even though they were employing a psychotic triple murderer for three seasons, and knew of his inclination towards gun violence.  On the Dolphins message board I lurk on, even the ones that were disgusted with the organization about allowing Incognito to do what he did, did not boycott a single game.

You would also expect the owners to do everything they can to hold on to Goodell.  Fans might not care for him, but he's made the owners a lot of money.  The owners did not get as rich as they did by being fools.  While they might overpay for a big time free agent, they would not give Goodell the massive salary he gets unless he was making them even richer.  I imagine each and every one of them is scared to death that they might be forced to replace him with someone like Condoleeza Rice, who might be necessary to help the image of the NFL in the eyes of sponsors and the press, but would not know the first thing about fattening the owners' wallets even more. 

I've said it before, but much of the NFL's talent pool is made up of low-IQ violent thugs who are taught to be as aggressive as possible, who have been allowed to be violent thugs since high school and continuing through college.  SEC schools seem to be in competition with one another to see how much they can bend academic requirements.    You then give them millions of dollars and even more fame than they had before, and it becomes clear that Rice and Peterson might be the tip of the iceberg.  And now media types are shocked! shocked! that many of these guys beat women, children and get arrested for all sorts of assaults.  Give me a friggin' break.

Here's maybe the best take on AP that I've seen to date.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-defenders-dont-get-it/

I’m all for leaving the government out of the bedroom, the bathroom, and the shed where you whip your boy with deciduous branches. … But Adrian Peterson isn’t really a dad. He’s a football player who likes to stroke his ego by impregnating women so the world may know the power of his seed. … He didn’t even know he had one kid until that kid was beaten to death. He may have as many as seven kids around the country.

Every summer Peterson hosts a Meet Dad Camp at his estate in Texas where his multitude of bastards get a couple weeks bowing down to the peacock before receiving some Vikings swag and a Greyhound ticket back to their moms. Just because you pay the court ordered child support and you like to brag about your reproductive powers doesn’t make you dad. Charles Barkley says all the black dads in the South whoop their kids like this. Great. … Make the Lorax weep with all the trees you fell just to make the perfect switch. But you can’t lacerate your rent-a-kid the day before he’s packed in the FexEd box and delivered back to his real home. Get some perspective. Adrian Peterson isn’t a throwback disciplinarian. He’s just a pretend dad who likes to hit kids with real sticks.

• Like 1

Going back to the on-game stuff (but sorta related)....has there been a mention of a SINGLE fine...penalty....suspension.....of ANY type for some ON THE FIELD stuff in the first two weeks of the season? That's kinda unheard of too.....the worms are so busy covering their asses they can't be the "illegal hit police" any more???

The only ones I remembered were Antonio Brown kung-fuing the punter getting fined and PEYTON getting fined for taunting that DB from Houston in the preseason.  And all those guys whose suspensions got reduced/overturned under the new drug policy that may or may not be official yet :P

I googled NFL fines and suspensions and found this site :lol:

http://www.spotrac.com/fines-tracker/nfl/

Scrolling through the list I noticed Andre Brown was popped for eight games, I never even realized that.  No wonder Houston cut him early in the preseason and nobody's picked him up since.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Here's the question though, would a single fan stop watching or going to games even if Rice or Peterson were not even suspended for a single game? Maybe a few, and maybe you'll get a few protesters outside the league office and outside of stadiums, although you had just one protester show up outside of the Ravens' stadium with a sign about domestic violence. I know of not a single Patriots fan that has stopped watching Patriots games even though they were employing a psychotic triple murderer for three seasons, and knew of his inclination towards gun violence. On the Dolphins message board I lurk on, even the ones that were disgusted with the organization about allowing Incognito to do what he did, did not boycott a single game.

You would also expect the owners to do everything they can to hold on to Goodell. Fans might not care for him, but he's made the owners a lot of money. The owners did not get as rich as they did by being fools. While they might overpay for a big time free agent, they would not give Goodell the massive salary he gets unless he was making them even richer. I imagine each and every one of them is scared to death that they might be forced to replace him with someone like Condoleeza Rice, who might be necessary to help the image of the NFL in the eyes of sponsors and the press, but would not know the first thing about fattening the owners' wallets even more.

I've said it before, but much of the NFL's talent pool is made up of low-IQ violent thugs who are taught to be as aggressive as possible, who have been allowed to be violent thugs since high school and continuing through college. SEC schools seem to be in competition with one another to see how much they can bend academic requirements. You then give them millions of dollars and even more fame than they had before, and it becomes clear that Rice and Peterson might be the tip of the iceberg. And now media types are shocked! shocked! that many of these guys beat women, children and get arrested for all sorts of assaults. Give me a friggin' break.

Here's maybe the best take on AP that I've seen to date.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-defenders-dont-get-it/

The author is spot on. Best take on Peterson that I've seen.