GDT: 4/21/12, Game 5 Quarterfinals (6) NJD @ (3) FLA

Devils Pride 26

If you want to scapegoat them, the easiest way to is 1) the PK has been brutal, especially down low and 2) they've played 300 minutes in this series, and outside of Parise's goal in Game 4, all of their goals have come in spurts that probably add up to around 30 minutes out of 300.

Wildly inconsistant offense, it's either a storm of goals or none. Hard to play that way.

If you want to scapegoat them, the easiest way to is 1) the PK has been brutal, especially down low and 2) they've played 300 minutes in this series, and outside of Parise's goal in Game 4, all of their goals have come in spurts that probably add up to around 30 minutes out of 300.

Wildly inconsistant offense, it's either a storm of goals or none. Hard to play that way.

How has the PK been brutal down low if most of the Panthers' PP goals have not been scored down low?

How has the PK been brutal down low if most of the Panthers' PP goals have not been scored down low?

There's at least 3 that have revolved around bad positioning by Volchenkov on the right side down low. So there's been what, 8? If I can remember 3, Versteeg walking out front, him getting coned after Marty kicked the puck to him, and the one last night stepping up to challenge the pass and whiffing... on all one guy on one side of the defense... I think your "most" claim is about as valid as Marty giving up 7 soft goals. :lol:

I mean this can be put together pretty easily, Garrison's point bomb, obviously from the point, the walkin shot by Campbell where the entire shape of the PK fell apart that let him shoot clean from the circles on Moose... we got 3 more left?

Edited by maxpower

There's at least 3 that have revolved around bad positioning by Volchenkov on the right side down low. So there's been what, 8? If I can remember 3, Versteeg walking out front, him getting coned after Marty kicked the puck to him, and the one last night stepping up to challenge the pass and whiffing... on all one guy on one side of the defense... I think your "most" claim is about as valid as Marty giving up 7 soft goals. :lol:

I mean, seriously, that shot by Versteeg is a bad goal to let in. It's not soft, but it's a stop a goalie should make. I don't see how you hang that one on Volchenkov.

I mean, seriously, that shot by Versteeg is a bad goal to let in. It's not soft, but it's a stop a goalie should make. I don't see how you hang that one on Volchenkov.

The one where Versteeg walked in? Volchenckov let him in. If he doesn't stray he can't get in. The other one last night, if so, you're nuts.

Two of the other ones by Weiss were low, but one was on Parise and the other one was a 5 on 3.

The one where Versteeg walked in? Volchenckov let him in. If he doesn't stray he can't get in. The other one last night, if so, you're nuts.

Two of the other ones by Weiss were low, but one was on Parise and the other one was a 5 on 3.

Yes, the other one last night. That's a perimeter shot, unscreened, he doesn't get over there fast enough.

Yes, the other one last night. That's a perimeter shot, unscreened, he doesn't get over there fast enough.

It's a bomb. Part of the reason he didn't get over there fast enough. If he cheats to Versteeg and it comes back through Volchenkov or it banks off someone and in, people would be complaining about that too.

The second goal in Game 1, which was somehow stuffed in.

The third goal in Game 2, which I didn't actually think was soft because Volchenkov screened him but everyone else did so you might as well put that in

At least two of the goals in Game 3, shortside by Bergenheim for the first goal and Weaver's 5 MPH slapshot that somehow Marty couldn't pick up.

And both goals last night - the first one was from the left of the faceoff circle, unscreened and the other one was a clusterfvck.

So that's at least six and I'm not even counting Garrison's goal in Game 4 as a soft goal, which others are. Really five if I was grading fair and not annoyed at Marty. Either way, this series has been hideous by any standard for Marty.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The second goal in Game 1, which was somehow stuffed in.

The third goal in Game 2, which I didn't actually think was soft because Volchenkov screened him but everyone else did so you might as well put that in

At least two of the goals in Game 3, shortside by Bergenheim for the first goal and Weaver's 5 MPH slapshot that somehow Marty couldn't pick up.

And both goals last night - the first one was from the left of the faceoff circle, unscreened and the other one was a clusterfvck.

So that's at least six and I'm not even counting Garrison's goal in Game 4 as a soft goal, which others are. Really five if I was grading fair and not annoyed at Marty. Either way, this series has been hideous by any standard for Marty.

Really, because I'm pretty sure he has a .916 2.32 and 1 so? If you told me Marty had these stats through 5, I'd say we'd be the ones winning

Really, because I'm pretty sure he has a .916 2.32 and 1 so? If you told me Marty had these stats through 5, I'd say we'd be the ones winning

Florida has not been getting many scoring chances. Brodeur should be better than that - not much better, but better.

Florida has not been getting many scoring chances. Brodeur should be better than that - not much better, but better.

Not when all of their offense is coming on the PP. It's the typical response on here. Granted his numbers looked better than I expected. Goaltending in this series, at worse, is a draw, and I don't think it's even been that. In that case, there is absolutely no reason for us to lose to this team.

Devils give up a goal, Marty's fault.

Devils score a goal, it's awesome. People rush to defend Clemmer for being beat by Steve Bernier in a tight game. Scorers shot I guess, except Steve Bernier doesn't score. Marty gives up a one-timer on the PP that is killed, it's his fault. :lol:

People can find every bad goal we lose on, but suspiciously can't find the bad goals we win on. Who was the MVP for the Devils in 2003? Was it Marty, Nieds, Friesen, or Patrick Lalime?

Not when all of their offense is coming on the PP. It's the typical response on here. Granted his numbers looked better than I expected. Goaltending in this series, at worse, is a draw, and I don't think it's even been that. In that case, there is absolutely no reason for us to lose to this team.

Devils give up a goal, Marty's fault.

Devils score a goal, it's awesome. People rush to defend Clemmer for being beat by Steve Bernier in a tight game. Scorers shot I guess, except Steve Bernier doesn't score. Marty gives up a one-timer on the PP that is killed, it's his fault. :lol:

People can find every bad goal we lose on, but suspiciously can't find the bad goals we win on. Who was the MVP for the Devils in 2003? Was it Marty, Nieds, Friesen, or Patrick Lalime?

2003 was forever ago. It's not relevant to what we're discussing.

Where are the 5 on 5 chances for Florida? Hell, where are the power play chances? It's been largely perimeter shots, or shots where Marty can't make a big stop.

Where are the 5 on 5 chances for Florida? Hell, where are the power play chances? It's been largely perimeter shots, or shots where Marty can't make a big stop.

How about we blame the offense? Literally not one above average chance in a pivotal game 5 or not being able to score in 10 of 15 periods. Marty hasn't been perfect, but he's far from the biggest problem

You really need to take another look at these games. The classic NJDevs bias is showing here. I've actually looked at the PP goals in the series, at least the ones I didn't remember, you haven't. Alot of you haven't. Blaming him for the Versteeg goal yesterday is pure idiocy.

He's 1,000 years old and a complimentary player. At this depth in the playoffs against this team, that's fine. Deeper in the pool, if there is a deeper pool when this round is over, it's probably not. There's plenty of other guys who haven't done sh!t in this series, including Parise, who you were earlier fawning about and then backtracked on. Parise has what, 3 points in the series? Marty has 2. Yeah, maybe he's worked hard, but whoop-de-do. Working hard doesn't get it done, doing stuff does. The Rangers are working their asses off and they're still a bad break or a bad goal against Lundqvist away from going home.

Bottom line is alot of the reason they were good this year is the PK, and it's been an utter failure in the playoffs. Their offense comes in extreme fits and starts, and even though they handle 5 on 5 play, they're not scoring nearly enough. They've gotten about as much offense out of their fourth line as they have out of their first.

The only reason they are where they are is their opponent. What has Zubrus done, Sykora, Clarkson, Poni, Henrique, etc, how was Volch giving up a goal virtually every 4 minutes he was on the ice, and not as a bystander, except in the literal sense. Where's the offense from the back, you could go on and on about what's happened in this series.

Trying to melt it down to a goalie who has played decently and hasn't been outplayed, I dunno what to tell you. Just the same old NJ Devs bias.

I don't need to take another look at these games. Parise has been great. The Rangers are working their asses off and getting them handed to them - work doesn't matter when you're sitting in your own zone for 60% of the series like the Rangers.

I agree that Sykora has been terrible and that the 3rd line has been non-existent. The defense, Volchenkov aside, has been incredibly strong 5 on 5. Still, in that critical Game 3, Brodeur was awful, and the Devils could be ahead in this series without that. He's the single most critical player, and with the defense playing as strong as it has 5 on 5 (and I don't think the PK has been that bad - getting all sorts of bad breaks and Brodeur unable to make a single stop on it doesn't help), it sucks to be down in this series.

Edited by Triumph

I don't need to take another look at these games. Parise has been great. The Rangers are working their asses off and getting them handed to them - work doesn't matter when you're sitting in your own zone for 60% of the series like the Rangers.

I agree that Sykora has been terrible and that the 3rd line has been non-existent. The defense, Volchenkov aside, has been incredibly strong 5 on 5. Still, in that critical Game 3, Brodeur was awful, and the Devils could be ahead in this series without that. He's the single most critical player, and with the defense playing as strong as it has 5 on 5 (and I don't think the PK has been that bad - getting all sorts of bad breaks and Brodeur unable to make a single stop on it doesn't help), it sucks to be down in this series.

Game 3 was critical, but game 5 was more critical, and Brodeur showed up, and the offense didn't. The Versteeg goal was not great. It was a great shot, but I thought he had a lot of time to get in position and make a good save. But he stopped two breakaways (or semi breakaways) and three 2-on-1s. The offense was terrible and Theodore did not make one tough save all night. They had no energy all night.

The thing is...we know what Brodeur is at this point. He had a pretty bad year but the team still finished with 102 points. He hasn't been bad say for 1 game, and his stats actually say he has only improved. You can't say the same for the offense in this series. Expecting Brodeur to play any better than he has isn't likely unfortunately.

And say what you want 5-on-5, there were a ton of breakdowns last night where Brodeur bailed the team out. Put game 3 on Brodeur. Absolutely. But add in the fact how awful they were after Theodore was pulled and last night, well you have a ton of blame to go around.

Edited by devilsrule33

Wonderful, the stats over five games really tell the story considering he got pulled early when he was leaking goals, plus he was much better against the Flyers two years ago and had **** numbers.

We had depth scoring into the playoffs but right now we've been relying on Elias, Zaj, Kovy, and Parise.

Zubrus, Sykora, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, and Clarkson have been MIA. The fvcking 4th line has more goals.

Kovalchuk and Parise aren't having good series in terms of production but we would be in a much better position if our depth scoring guys showed up.

We had depth scoring into the playoffs but right now we've been relying on Elias, Zaj, Kovy, and Parise.

Zubrus, Sykora, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, and Clarkson have been MIA. The fvcking 4th line has more goals.

Kovalchuk and Parise aren't having good series in terms of production but we would be in a much better position if our depth scoring guys showed up.

If the Devils are going to come back and win this series, we're going to need some offensive contributions from a combo of Zubrus, Clarkson, Ponikarovsky, and Sykora. They've all been invisible, and it may be the biggest reason we're behind in the series other than the PK eating a sh!tburger.