White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've definitely gotten faster by shedding these older guys, looking forward to the new season

What I dont understand is why Lou didnt buy out Salvador before White, I mean Salvador is gonna be 36 this winter, and he missed an entire season........I just dont see him playing for us this year.

What I dont understand is why Lou didnt buy out Salvador before White, I mean Salvador is gonna be 36 this winter, and he missed an entire season........I just dont see him playing for us this year.

You can't buyout an injured player, and Lou probably felt it was too arduous to go through the process of proving Sal's health, especially with something as unclear as a concussion.

Edited by RSC

Look, Colin White was valuable to the Devils. Was he $3 million valuable to the Devils? No. However, I still find the move to put him on waivers just a little curious. Maybe I'm in denial but my gut tells me this wasn't an ownership/business decision to simply cut salary. Because if truth be told, from a ownership standpoint they're not saving a ton of money from buying out White and Hunter in the grand scheme of things. From a cap standpoint, however, there is a big difference between buying those guys out and not. And if you throw in the crazy Kovy contract, I have a hard time believing that ownership would be willing to fork over $100 million with no qualms and now are worried about nickels and dimes relating to saving 33-percent on basically two mid-to-low level expiring contracts. So the real questions for me are: Are the Devils planning a big move to grab a top-2 D man?; Are the Devils planning on spending a few million grabbing a combination of bargain depth talent of the likes of a Chris Drury or Bryan McCabe; Or are the Devils planning to head into the season with the same payroll, see what they have, see how their record is at the trade deadline and then maintain the ability to bust a significant signing if all things are going well? The other elephant in the room is: What is really going on with Parise? Does Parise really want to be here? He had said all of the right things lately. But should we believe that? I don't have a strong opinion either way quite honestly. The one-year deal is curious as well. It totally makes sense if both the team and Parise are on board to really take the next few months to hammer out a long-term deal or if ownership needs time to free up some cash. But if that's not the reality, then some big decisions are going to have to be made on both sides. So, in essence, the soap opera continues. After decades of uniformity in the offseason, the N.J. Devils are turning into the best reality show going ... at least lately.

And no matter what happens, I guess that's something.

QUESTION: Just saw on the email I received from the Devils today that the Prudential Center was named the 3rd busiest arena in the United States. Do the Devils get a large portion of the profits of this or what? Cause this should help ownership find a new investor if they see how busy the Arena the team owns is.

I agree with the idea generally, of addition by subtraction. There were a glut of bodies on our team, and year after year, things weren't getting done. So, I don't mind having shipped out several vets, including White to make room for younger guys who might potentially rise to the challenge or play with more emotion. That having been said, the defense is still fairly shaky.

OK, Volchenkov-Tallinder-Greene; those are given, experienced guys.

Salvador McPuddin; anyone's guess if he can play, and if so, play well.

Then Fayne, who had a great season, but is far from a sure bet.

Larsson, TBD. Urbom, TBD.

Corrente-Fraser, reserves.

So, maybe all will play out in the pre-season, and maybe Salvador will play and 2 of Larsson-Urbom-Corrente-Fraser-Fayne will look great and secure spots.

Maybe.

Or maybe the Dev's having something else in mind with a decent amount of cap space remaining. If Salvador can't play, I do wonder if NJ is planning to trade for a guy like Bouwmeester (aka "J-Blow"). Big salary to take on, but would give us a pretty solid top 4. Most fans are opposed to this idea due to the guy's salary, and there is a valid point there. He does make about 2 million too much. But we'll see. Anyone think something like this (or another player) is likely?

I hope its not Bouwmeester, but there is that McCabe connection with Deboer, he coached him in FLA (as well as Bouwmeester) and might be able to get him pretty cheap for maybe a 1 year deal now. He's not the best but he is good on the PP andfor that reason alone, he deserves a shot.

We can't afford to bring anyone else in.

Thank you for clarifying that up. As the Devils accountant and Vanderbeek's right hand man, you are obviously very much in the know on these things. I'll scratch off any other potential moves from my list of what-ifs immediately.

We can't afford to bring anyone else in.

Seriously though, what is the point of you even being on these forums anymore? Usually fans go on these types of forums to discuss the team they LIKE, speculate about possible trades / signings / drafts, try to intelligently predict what the effects of those actions might be, and discuss what went right or wrong from game to game.

Since the Kovalchuk signing, you don't do any of these things and you obviously have a serious disdain for this organization. You don't care to speculate on the pros or cons of any potential move or action because you automatically go to your "the Devils era has ended" mindset, and you basically randomly pop in and out of threads with one or two sentence replies that always sound the same and don't ever include any sort of rationale or critical thinking. You're a fvcking broken record and for all intents and purposes, you are a troll. And it's not even like you get any sort of support from this forum at all. You're almost universally disliked and derided, so what's the point? Is it just to get a rise out of people?

Edited by Amberite

Seriously though, what is the point of you even being on these forums anymore? Usually fans go on these types of forums to discuss the team they LIKE, speculate about possible trades / signings / drafts, try to intelligently predict what the effects of those actions might be, and discuss what went right or wrong from game to game.

Since the Kovalchuk signing, you obviously have a serious disdain for this organization, you don't care to speculate on the pros or cons of any potential move because you automatically go to your "the Devils era has ended" mindset, and you basically randomly pop into threads with one or two sentence replies that always sound the same and don't ever include any sort of rationale or critical thinking. You're a fvcking broken record and for all intents and purposes, you are a troll. And it's not even like you get any sort of support from this forum at all. You're almost universally disliked and derided, so what's the point? Is it just to get a rise out of people?

Meh, don't mind him.

That having been said, capgeek says the Devs have 5.87 in cap space (22 man roster), and that's with Salvador on the team. IE, 8.77 cap space if NJ decides Salvador is done.

Granted, cap geek has Fraser (550k)/Corrente (660k) on the team, with Larsson (925k), Urbom (857k), Zharkov (578k), Taormina (550k) in the AHL.

So, I'm figuring on Larsson/Taormina being on the opening night roster, with Fraser/Corrente elsewhere, which is an additional 265k on the cap for that change, and let's say NJ goes 23 man roster, so, add Zharkov in at 578.

So, the cap would roughly then be 5 million spare, if we max at 23 players with Salavador on the team. Or, 7.9 million spare without Salvador.

Bouwmeester makes 6.68 cap.

Hence, we can afford to trade for him if we really wanted to, and Salvador doesn't make the team (which many on these boards think is all but certain). Not saying J-bo is ideal for us, but if we like, we can afford it.

You forgot Taormina

Yeah, I added him in, in my next post. Sorry.

The problem with NJ trading for a big-time defenseman is that they don't have a minutes eater that can go back the other way. So they can't trade with anyone who's remotely interested in winning this year, and that severely limits their options.

Calgary already dealt Regehr for magic beans and they dealt Phaneuf the year before. Their defense is no longer 'stacked' - it's Bouwmeester, Giordano, Sarich, Babchuk, Butler, and a bunch of depth guys. You drop Bouwmeester from that defense and it's awful - it's already not good.

Edited by Triumph

The problem with NJ trading for a big-time defenseman is that they don't have a minutes eater that can go back the other way. So they can't trade with anyone who's remotely interested in winning this year, and that severely limits their options.

They could declare Salvador fit to play and trade him to CGY. It just depends how badly CGY is feeling hampered by the big contract. If they want some relief, they could take Salvador's expiring contract to offset almost 4 mill. Maybe they could use the surplus to get somebody else.

Do I think any of this is likely, given that CGY already shipped out a D? No. But it's possible.

They could declare Salvador fit to play and trade him to CGY. It just depends how badly CGY is feeling hampered by the big contract. If they want some relief, they could take Salvador's expiring contract to offset almost 4 mill. Maybe they could use the surplus to get somebody else.

Do I think any of this is likely, given that CGY already shipped out a D? No. But it's possible.

Salvador probably wasn't better than a 3rd pairing D before he got his concussion.

Calgary is going to send Hagman down to the minors, and after the season, they lose almost all of their bad contracts.