We Got Rutuu

Daniel

According to CapGeek, Carolina retained 20% salary/20% cap hit - so it's about 3.80M for Ruutu. If he can get 45 points, play 80% of the games and get some shootout goals - I guess I'm fine with that.  Eh.... Don't love it though, but we didn't have much options to bolster the team.

I'm more concerned with offseason moves.

if this trade happened a few weeks ago I don't think there would have been as much negativity. happening at the trade deadline with bigger names swirling around made it a bit anticlimactic

the money being under 4 mil now makes it easier on the team, its nowhere near as bad as the clowe deal, and makes him a moveable part. we're anchored to clowe now

ruutu is more complete than clowe, a much better skater

with zubrus being so dam inconsistent this year it gives deboer some versatility

physicality will help

after sleeping on it, its not as bad as I thought

According to CapGeek, Carolina retained 20% salary/20% cap hit - so it's about 3.80M for Ruutu. If he can get 45 points, play 80% of the games and get some shootout goals - I guess I'm fine with that.  Eh.... Don't love it though, but we didn't have much options to bolster the team.

I'm more concerned with offseason moves.

That would be great, but it'll likely come at the expense of someone else's icetime, PP time and by extension their points. So the net result might not change. 

That would be great, but it'll likely come at the expense of someone else's icetime, PP time and by extension their points. So the net result might not change. 

Is it wrong of me to say if that someone is named Gionta I'm cool with it?

You know what really stinks?  the fact I'm really seriously thinking of writing "Nono, I'm just kidding Gionta is not so bad."

I mean WHAT THE HELL?????  What kind of rational hockey lovin' perspective is that.  I'm not saying it's untrue for this team but THAT"S THE POINT!!!  I mean WHAT THE %&(@%^&(@#?????  Just some of these perceptions - these old Ineffable System ideas have just got to be jettisoned.  No big league team shoudl be relying on Stephen Gionta as a character guy as a spark plug AS ANYTHING!  With that logic we'd have someone like Bryce Salvador as team captain!!  :rant:  

wait a sec...

oh dear lawrd... 

No.  No Devils organization -- that is not OK.  I think we've tested this mindset to it's outermost limits.  it's not successful.  The Miracle on Ice was called it for a reason -- we get that now. 

I digress... point is -- I'm fine with Ruutu.  I think he will help the team IF LOGICAL FOLLOW UP CHOICES ARE MADE!

im fine with Ruutu but my only "problem" with it is that we have too many of those players. 

"Good 2way guys who can put the put in the net once in a while and play the system."

I guess you can look at it as we have good depth of guys who won't hurt you. But we're really struggling getting puck in the net and with a bunch of inconsistent guys, you can only hope that the timing is good so that they pitch in at the right time at least.

Thats a reason we've been really inconsistent too 

He's an upgrade - not an additional cog!  This team keeps ADDING instead of dumping the thing that had them dissatisfied.  THROW OUT THE GARBAGE!  Seriously it's like NJ is hoarding crap!!!  But we might NEED it!  THROW IT THE fvck AWAY!  DEAR GOD WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM?????

Maybe guys are thinking Maybe now we can get rid of stinkin' Gionta!  I wish they just would instead of acting like "Now lets not be too hasty -- lets see how this all plays out.  DUDE!!!????  There's not ENOUGH ROOM TO LET THIS ROSTER PLAY OUT! 

barnie.gif

Everything is like our goal tending situation.

You can't leave what amounts to essentially the same player around fighting for a spot -- you have to sh!tcan the thing that wasn't really up to the task.  You can't get any worse at this stage of the game.

and that's another thing -- keeping all this sh!t around -- it's not resulting in any ease of transition -- in any more consistant play.  There is ZERO reason to keep what didn't work on the roster.  Sentimentality?  Come ON!  I'm not talking about Brodeur -- in fact I think it's weird that it reads like I am.... it's EVERYONE!!!   OHHHH   GGGGGGAWD  PLEASE JUST CLEAN fvckING HOUSE!!!  I HATE MESS I HATE HATE HATE!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

argh.gif

Edited by Pepperkorn

He's an upgrade - not an additional cog!  This team keeps ADDING instead of dumping the thing that had them dissatisfied.  THROW OUT THE GARBAGE!  Seriously it's like NJ is hoarding crap!!!  But we might NEED it!  THROW IT THE fvck AWAY!  DEAR GOD WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM?????

Maybe guys are thinking Maybe now we can get rid of stinkin' Gionta!  I wish they just would instead of acting like "Now lets not be too hasty -- lets see how this all plays out.  DUDE!!!????  There's not ENOUGH ROOM TO LET THIS ROSTER PLAY OUT! 

barnie.gif

Everything is like our goal tending situation.

You can't leave what amounts to essentially the same player around fighting for a spot -- you have to sh!tcan the thing that wasn't really up to the task.  You can't get any worse at this stage of the game.

and that's another thing -- keeping all this sh!t around -- it's not resulting in any ease of transition -- in any more consistant play.  There is ZERO reason to keep what didn't work on the roster.  Sentimentality?  Come ON!  I'm not talking about Brodeur -- in fact I think it's weird that it reads like I am.... it's EVERYONE!!!   OHHHH   GGGGGGAWD  PLEASE JUST CLEAN fvckING HOUSE!!!  I HATE MESS I HATE HATE HATE!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

argh.gif

The bolded bit is exactly how i feel about the roster at times.

I went a little nuts -- but yeah -- it's the hoarding thing!

Holding on to fair to middling players is at "disorder" proportions now for this organization. 

I dont think I'm being dramatic... though I can't seem to help myself can I?  I never think of myself that way.

im fine with Ruutu but my only "problem" with it is that we have too many of those players. 

"Good 2way guys who can put the put in the net once in a while and play the system."

I guess you can look at it as we have good depth of guys who won't hurt you. But we're really struggling getting puck in the net and with a bunch of inconsistent guys, you can only hope that the timing is good so that they pitch in at the right time at least.

Thats a reason we've been really inconsistent too 

Guys that can put the puck in the net with some degree of consistency are a bit hard to come by unfortunately.  The ones that were available, with the exception of Hemsky, had price tags that were a bit too high for rentals.  If we had our first round pick this year, Lou would have had some more flexibility and a player like Vanek or Moulson might have been in the cards, but that's water on the bridge.

In the end, the team is, at the very least, no worse off than it was two days ago.  Ruutu's contract is nowhere near an albatross, especially with the money that Carolina retained, and it doesn't really get in the way of Lou making any other moves that he might be inclined to make.

It appears to be a move aimed at improving what is already one of the team's strengths, which has taken a team with a mediocre batch of forwards pretty far as it is.  Not a bad strategy when your options were otherwise limited.

Edited by Daniel

I'd rather have a player that fits the Devils system rather than a player who can score goals. If you can get both that is ideal, but give me the guy who is geared toward playing our style rather than someone like Michael Ryder.

fvck it, trade Ryder. The less scorers on this team the better.

To be honest... i really loved Loktionov. But i understand the trade... I see Ruutu as a langenbrunner type of player hope im right... If he is, that's cool with me, we will have some grit on each line (clowe on the first, henrique on the second, not really a physical player but he has something grit, and ruutu) ... He brings physicality and have some skills (he can score a goal in a shootout lol) 

I hate this trade for 1 reason, it does not get Larsson back to the NHL, thats the only thing I really hoped for, was to reid oursleves of a Dman.

lol this is like saying you don't like apples because they're not bananas.

Everyone wants Larsson with the big club but this trade doesn't help or hurt his chances of being brought up unless they decide to convert him to a lw.

ruutu will fit in this roster just fine and all,

just dissapointed that we didnt relieve a D man ( for their sake and ours)

and that we didnt get a top 6 so that Jagr doesnt have to carry this team but even that seems to be changing and glad we didnt give up for a rental.

this team is meshing and is poised to make noise IF they can get in.

The Marty drama he created is a severe issue with me right now, hard to get over, not blaming him but yes i am heh. and if they need a little melo drama on an old slow and boring devils roster so be it, whatever.

also these late game heroics dont sit well with me, they are fun and all but no way to win games imo.

Edited by lazer

never saw that, pretty damn sure it's going up and a lot

The 2014-2015 salary cap is projected to be only slightly higher than the 2012-2013 cap.

If the US Dollar strengthens against the Canadian Dollar then the salary cap may drop, in comparison, since the Canadian Dollar is a disproportionate amount of the league revenues.

Next years cap looks to be $6 or $7 million dollars higher than this season.

Edited by Devils731

The 2014-2015 salary cap is projected to be only slightly higher than the 2012-2013 cap.

If the US Dollar strengthens against the Canadian Dollar then the salary cap may drop, in comparison, since the Canadian Dollar is a disproportionate amount of the league revenues.

i have nothing other than the cap being at or above $70.1. it was artifically deflated for this season as it is and next year's cap will be based off the revenue from this year which, thanks to all the outdoor games, will be outrageous.