Larsson sent to Albany

Z-Man

was not a regular buyout? holy sh!t? why would we fvcking use a compliance buyout on such a small contract? I know we we're tight in budget but you know

Because it's unlikely we use more than 1 more buyout before the amnesty period expires, so it didn't really matter. Might as well have it not count against the cap, right?

People who want volchenkov and Salvador moved will be clamoring for better defense when we have zidlicky and gelinas out there killing penalties.

The only argument for moving volchenkov at this point is that his cap hit can hinder Lou's ability to add at the deadline this year. Next year the cap will be going up where it won't matter, but as a bottom pairing sal and volchenkov are probably above nhl average.

People who want volchenkov and Salvador moved will be clamoring for better defense when we have zidlicky and gelinas out there killing penalties.

The only argument for moving volchenkov at this point is that his cap hit can hinder Lou's ability to add at the deadline this year. Next year the cap will be going up where it won't matter, but as a bottom pairing sal and volchenkov are probably above nhl average.

This. They aren't flashy, but they have their uses. I'm not a fan of the volchenkov contract, but I'd rather pay him 4 million to play then anything to sit.

Also, as for next years cap, we also may have Brodeur, Zidlicky, and or Jagr coming off of the cap which should open some room.

This. They aren't flashy, but they have their uses. I'm not a fan of the volchenkov contract, but I'd rather pay him 4 million to play then anything to sit.

Also, as for next years cap, we also may have Brodeur, Zidlicky, and or Jagr coming off of the cap which should open some room.

Devils will have more cap room than they can fill (I hope), with cap going up as well.

i hope hes saving it for clowe.. one more hit in the head and hes going to be a lost cause and out for a long length of time.. and he has way too long of a contract that we still have to livve threw

Compliance buyouts only apply to contracts signed before the lockout, they can't use it on Clowe's deal.

It'd be more likely Larsson kill penalties than Gelinas, if they ever deign him 'healthy' and I doubt Zid's here past this year.  Sal/Volch aren't both going to be moved in the same season but it'd be nice if one was...they really can't keep the young guys playing eight minutes in the NHL or down in Albany forever.

i hope hes saving it for clowe.. one more hit in the head and hes going to be a lost cause and out for a long length of time.. and he has way too long of a contract that we still have to livve threw

There is zero chance this is happening. He would just IR him and do the Pronger. Insurance then would pay the bulk of the contract. And any contract signed post new CBA is not eligible.

Edited by hystyk28

Compliance buyouts only apply to contracts signed before the lockout, they can't use it on Clowe's deal.

It'd be more likely Larsson kill penalties than Gelinas, if they ever deign him 'healthy' and I doubt Zid's here past this year.  Sal/Volch aren't both going to be moved in the same season but it'd be nice if one was...they really can't keep the young guys playing eight minutes in the NHL or down in Albany forever.

if some posters had their way we'd have a defense of Greene Fayne zidlicky gelinas Merrill and larsson starting tonight. I agree sal and volch aren't going anywhere, in fact I'm arguing why they shouldn't.

My overall point is that the guys who always get the most heat around here are 4th liners and 3rd pairing defenseman, as if they're the ones not pulling their weight or are responsible for our hovering around .500. The truth is they are probably average or above average in their roles.

The fourth liners and third-pairing defensemen get played like they're second-liners and first-pairing defensemen though, that's the problem :lol:

I'd rather have Merrill down in the minors myself, he should be developing an all-around game but Pete's got a hard-on for him because he isn't a complete trainwreck defensively.  While everyone else under 25 that isn't Adam Henrique is having a pizza party in the scratch box, or playing seven minutes a night getting a brisk workout in.

The fourth liners and third-pairing defensemen get played like they're second-liners and first-pairing defensemen though, that's the problem :lol:

this is a false narrative, volchenkov averages the lowest 5v5 ice time on the team for defensemen, and the only forwards who average less 5v5 toi than gionta are josefson, sestito Janssen and sislo.

Salvador does have a higher average but most of that came from before he got hurt and before Merrill and gelinas came up, I suspect his 5v5 time will go down unless we are protecting a late lead.

The fourth liners and third-pairing defensemen get played like they're second-liners and first-pairing defensemen though, that's the problem :lol:

I'd rather have Merrill down in the minors myself, he should be developing an all-around game but Pete's got a hard-on for him because he isn't a complete trainwreck defensively.  While everyone else under 25 that isn't Adam Henrique is having a pizza party in the scratch box, or playing seven minutes a night getting a brisk workout in.

Always interesting that whoever controls the roster at the moment is whoever suits the speaker's purpose.  DeBoer doesn't control whether Merrill is on the roster.  He's also been really good - it's bizarre how fans are blind to how good he is.

Always interesting that whoever controls the roster at the moment is whoever suits the speaker's purpose. DeBoer doesn't control whether Merrill is on the roster. He's also been really good - it's bizarre how fans are blind to how good he is.

Merrill has been good, but if Larsson is healthy I would rather him up and Merrill sent down. Obviously there are better alternatives where we have both of them up here but barring injuries or trade I don't think that's realistic.

a word on Larsson imo as i am no expert...went to see him in AC play for albany; went in very positive to "scout" as there were a lot of suits writing notes there.  

pause.

"He skates like fvcking grandma"

although very smooth almost too cool yet going in and out of the play, its hit or miss with him.

Is this liability enough to look past as i think Devils miss his outlet passing when cory is in net.

otherwise, he went to the locker room early in the 3rd which later to find his knee was bothering him. WEEEEEEEELLLLL, it was his sh!tty play that was bothering me more than the routing they took last night and not a lot of players were even touching him, light hitting to say the least. He did fall bad into the backboard early on but kept playing another 2 periods, so its my thought his ego was injured which is BUSH LEAGUE.

edit: he was working on his slap shot

Edited by lazer

a word on Larsson imo as i am no expert...went to see him in AC play for albany; went in very positive to "scout" as there were a lot of suits writing notes there.  

pause.

"He skates like fvcking grandma"

although very smooth almost too cool yet going in and out of the play, its hit or miss with him.

Is this liability enough to look past as i think Devils miss his outlet passing when cory is in net.

otherwise, he went to the locker room early in the 3rd which later to find his knee was bothering him. WEEEEEEEELLLLL, it was his sh!tty play that was bothering me more than the routing they took last night and not a lot of players were even touching him, light hitting to say the least. He did fall bad into the backboard early on but kept playing another 2 periods, so its my thought his ego was injured which is BUSH LEAGUE.

edit: he was working on his slap shot

And what do you base this "his ego was injured"-claim on? He played 3 games in 3 nights after sitting out for a long time. He isn't Albany's player, if he started to feel something you can bet they'd pull him off the ice, especially since they were having a bad game and dress 7 D.

Edited by Marshall

^right well he was on for a lot of turnovers in his end all by himself. by ego i meant it was a bad loss so yes why not sit him as they pulled kinkaid even though he had some big saves. My point is im not used to watching the minors so if thats how he is treated than i dont like it.

i watched Ryan Howard in Lakewood minor league baseball and never saw him mail it in like that.

didnt Larsson quote as being ready to go?

edit: but yeah it was a throw away game for sure.

last thing for now is i mean that his play was more worrisome than the loss itself.

Edited by lazer

recovering from knee surgery like I am, I can vouch for how difficult the recovery can be....and how the most dangerous part is right when you feel ok and start going back out there like all is normal and your body's just not fully up to what the mind thinks it's ready to do (hey, you feel 100%, you dive right back out there....and then realize maybe the knee's not fully back yet....and then you compensate and roll your ankle on the OTHER leg because you're just a tiny bit sub-conscious about going in injured leg first and battling)...the stamina and the confidence ain't where they need to be, and that just takes time and effort (and even with an inhumanly fast five week bill of clean health from the PT I'm still trying to get myself up to speed and I fully admit I don't play anywhere NEAR the level and speed these guys play at)