Don Cherry

NJDF

I'm sure there are alot of people who don't like this guy but I think he's pretty damn funny. I have the hockey ticket and between periods of the Devils game i turn over to hear his comments during the intermission of the other game. He had good stuff last night on fighters "turtle-ing" and he had a great call-out on Chara fighting Lecavlier (even though he, Vinny, didn't want to). Made Chara look like a punk. Either way if you have the ticket check it out; it's better than OLN intermission reports.

Go Devils!!

I still can't get over what he said about the Leafs needing to get more Ontario born players to be successful again and then following it up with "go let Lou Lamoriello sign all the damn college kids that play once a week in the golorfied rec leagues in college"....he's always good for some kinda laugh

then he called Quinn a Hall of Fame Coach :rofl:

The rednecks think he's 100% correct. The more liberal folk are a split camp - he either is a homophobic, xenophobic idiot, or he's a Archie Bunker characature who's good for a laugh. I fall in the latter group. I'll watch if I'm flipping channels and come across coaches corner. But I don't search him out on Saturday nights.

I still can't get over what he said about the Leafs needing to get more Ontario born players to be successful again and then following it up with "go let Lou Lamoriello sign all the damn college kids that play once a week in the golorfied rec leagues in college"....he's always good for some kinda laugh

That was two seperate comments.

(1) It was his opinion that the CHL builds character and stamina more than college players just on the basis of the schedule alone. And while I don't necessarily agree, there were people here, there and everywhere who were not sure that Hale and Martin could make the jump from college to the NHL for just that reason.

(2) The Lou comment was that he was signing Americans and it helps regionally (do you deny that you are proud to have so many Americans on the team?). He said that the Wild have lots of prospects from Minnesota. Don didn't mention Montreal for obvious reasons, but there is another team that drafts based on geography. He wanted the Leafs to draft locally as well. Or the direct quote "at least give the Ontario players a fair shake."

You can try to make the link. "If you believe US College players lack grit. And you believe that most American hockey players come from College. Then you believe that most American hockey players lack grit." And I wouldn't disagree with you that he's being foolish in that presumption. However, it wasn't as cut and dry as the quote you made.

Don I paraphrased kinda because it was a week since I heard the comment and he did string the two comments right into each other somewhere in there mentioning Suggo as the transition there

I will agree with him that the college schedule is WAY lighter and less strenous and players will hit the wall (happens in the NFL and NBA too)

and frankly I don't care if we have a 20 man roster of 3 headed and 5 breasted aliens from the moon as long as they win games :P

he was going on one of his tangents and I couldn't tell where one began and one ended... it's all these late hockey nights and early "beat the traffic on 280" mornings .... and we found it pretty funny no more no less :D

To quote Don Cherry: "You don't understand because you don't understand!"

:blink:

note: he was talking there about Darren McCarty, I believe, who got into a fight with another player and then tossed a bag of ice over into the other penalty box for his opponent's hurt hand. Don is a big proponent of fighting.

Don I paraphrased kinda because it was a week since I heard the comment and he did string the two comments right into each other somewhere in there mentioning Suggo as the transition there

He didn't mention Sluggo. He said "Who did they bring in? That Sulubroff guy?" I have no idea who Sulubroff is. :D

He didn't mention Sluggo. He said "Who did they bring in? That Sulubroff guy?" I have no idea who Sulubroff is. :D

hey I never had to learn to spell his name for recaps (THANK GOD)... so I never cared and I wasn't gonna call him out for not syaing a name I had NO interest in spelling :lol:

The rednecks think he's 100% correct. The more liberal folk are a split camp - he either is a homophobic, xenophobic idiot, or he's a Archie Bunker characature who's good for a laugh. I fall in the latter group. I'll watch if I'm flipping channels and come across coaches corner. But I don't search him out on Saturday nights.

He does have a habit of saying the wrong things on camera but I watched that segment last night and I thought it was pretty true about Chara and Lecavalier.

I think he's great, mostly because he's entertainment.

He says what he wants, a lot of it is dead on. Then adds some borderline, opinionated, un-politically correct jargon & you're water-cooler material the next day.

The maven should only be as popular.

Grapes has been using Suglobov as a prime example of what's wrong with the Leafs ever since they traded for him. Every week, whether it's to prove how Ferguson's a bad GM, show who NOT to pair Sundin with, or illustrate that most European players are fickle, moody, and cowardly, poor Suglobov gets the mention. It's hilarious; Cherry's disdain carries into how he purposefully gets his name wrong, yet it's always a different variation of the mispronounced name.

All this from a man in a pink hockey jersey.

<3 Grapes.

Don Cherry is rad...I don';t care what anyone says about him, he is awesome. He is someone that really cares about the game and knows what he is talking about. For anyone that doesn't like him, that's your choice but nobody can rip him for speaking his mind. I would rather listen to Grapes speak his mind about issues that he cares about than listen to 10 minutes of mindless hockey cliches. I feel that if you don't like him, why listen? And when did someone having and voicing an opinion become such a terrible thing....

GRAPES!!! :hail:

He's the Casey Stengel of Hockey. You older guys and ladies will know what I mean. His heart is in the right place, but the dude is a loon. He was the only coach you actually got to know about back in the 60's and 70's. All the rest were pretty much camera shy and men of few words.

Cherry said he thinks Quinn would be, for the most part a highly possible candidate for new coach in VanCity, ughhh i really hope he's wrong.. :argh:

LMAO you seem thrilled. I know he takes a lot of heat but Frankenstein really isn't a bad coach. Look at all the injuries the Leafs had yet they almost squeaked in again. But still, I don't know if he'd be the right fit for the Canucks. They must unload Bertuzzi.

Oh there is no doubt he's a great coach, i just can't wrap my head around cheering for him..i really cannot. And yeah Bertuzzi and Cloutier need to go, Morrisson too...anything, please :argh: (leave naslund though... :uni: )

Okay. Understood. If Cloutier goes, what happens to the goalie spot? They got Auld and Noronen. Is what's his name going to be ready soon? The kid they took the same year as Montoya. Cory something. I assume he's the goalie of the future.

If Morrison is gone, do the Sedins become the building blocks of the franchise? They had great seasons.

I hate to say it but yeah i would have Auld as my #1...ughh i feel soo DIRTY..blahhh

Sedins absolutely are the future of this franchise in the next few years, along with Carter. No other guy has been able to go in and have the chemistry he has had with hank and daniel. I think if nonis ends up leaving Bertuzzi or Morrison he obviously needs someone to spark that line. With morrisson and/or Bert, and Cloutier gone there would be lots of cap space . I mean even Kesler was playing well with the former "top line". There were some rumblings about possibly Forsberg..but i can't se that happening anytime soon..and really who needs an overpaid gimped?

I agree that Cherry is like the Archie Bunker of hockey. He's the epitome of every backwoods, supermacho Canadian hockey player who look down on europeans, french Canadians and anyone who wears a visor. I usually disagree with a lot of what he say - but not all. I think he's almost a caricature.

But dang, he's entertaining to listen to. :P