Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

PeteyNice

Well after thinking about it and going back and forth several times I have decided to take the plunge and order FIOS TV and Internet. The only thing that worries me is that I can't use my home phone when we have a blackout but that is what cell phones are for. Anyone else have this? Stories?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not available up here yet (probably not for another year at least; they've just started rolling out the Internet service), but I won't even consider FIOS TV until they add Center Ice. Granted, I don't subscribe to CI now (I almost got slaughtered during free preview week for watching so many games, so I'd wind up dead if I spent an entire season doing that), but I also like knowing that the possibility is out there.

Well after thinking about it and going back and forth several times I have decided to take the plunge and order FIOS TV and Internet. The only thing that worries me is that I can't use my home phone when we have a blackout but that is what cell phones are for. Anyone else have this? Stories?

I think insanity has it

My parents (who live in Albany) have the FIOS phone and internet, but not the TV. The internet seemed comparable to or faster than the cable modems I'm used to. My dad loves the price.

The only downside I noticed is with the phone. The sound quality when I call them has gone to hell since they switched. There is a lot of static in the background that can make it hard to hear. My dad is calling Verizon today to get them to try and fix it, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully it's just a bad connection somewhere and not an "oh yeah, they all do that" type of thing.

I hope they bring FIOS to this area soon. Right now I have Verizon for the phone, Comcast internet, and DirecTV. It would be easier and cheaper to consolidate a bit, and since I can't stand the thought of supporting the Flyers :puke: , Comcast is the best candidate to get the boot. I don't want DSL (too slow), and satellite internet is waaaay too expensive, so my only real option after Comcast is if FIOS comes to town.

I have had the FIOS internet since August and Fios TV since Jan. 8th and I have been very happy.

The internet install took up most of a day back in August and the TV install took about 3 hours for my 3 TVs last week. I'm paying about as much as before for TV service but with improved features.

I did have one week in October where my internet connection was next to useless due to a connection issue at their office that required daily calls to troubleshoot but other than that no issues.

GF has it.... I can tell you it works VERY nicely.... download like a Mo-Fo on it.... now if only I could convince her to get out of the STONE AGE with her cable package (she only has basic... I get sooooo bored there when she falls asleep since I tend to only need 5 hours of sleep a night and there is NOTHING on the basic channels :P)

I have Comcast. Internet has been available here for a while (at least a year), TV became available in late December at some point.

Here is the link to see if you can get it:

http://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/

Overall I will save about $30 a month over what I am paying for cable and DSL.

If you decide to get this do not order online! I did and then I called to confirm and after being transferred to four different people (the first guy was straight sales and couldn't do anything, the next guy had no record of my order, the third could not access NJ accounts and finally the fourth person could help me) before it was confirmed that my order did not exist. So I place the order again and the person is giving me crazy install dates (like mid February) and telling me TV is not available here yet and then realizes she is looking at someone else's account. Anyway, they are coming on Monday between 8AM and 11AM. They could have come tomorrow but my house is no shape to receive visitors. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Edited by PeteyNice

I am not sure what town you live in Jimmy but here is a list of Monmouth towns that can get it.

Monmouth County towns that are eligible for FiOS subscription include Colts Neck, Eatontown, Englishtown, Fair Haven, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Freehold Township, Holmdel, Howell, Little Silver, Manalapan, Middletown, Millstone, Ocean Township, Oceanport, Red Bank, Rumson, Sea Bright, Shrewsbury Borough, Shrewsbury Township, Tinton Falls, Wall Township and West Long Branch.

http://independent.gmnews.com/news/2007/01...t_Page/031.html

My parents (who live in Albany) have the FIOS phone and internet, but not the TV. The internet seemed comparable to or faster than the cable modems I'm used to. My dad loves the price.

The only downside I noticed is with the phone. The sound quality when I call them has gone to hell since they switched. There is a lot of static in the background that can make it hard to hear. My dad is calling Verizon today to get them to try and fix it, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully it's just a bad connection somewhere and not an "oh yeah, they all do that" type of thing.

I hope they bring FIOS to this area soon. Right now I have Verizon for the phone, Comcast internet, and DirecTV. It would be easier and cheaper to consolidate a bit, and since I can't stand the thought of supporting the Flyers :puke: , Comcast is the best candidate to get the boot. I don't want DSL (too slow), and satellite internet is waaaay too expensive, so my only real option after Comcast is if FIOS comes to town.

So, what happened with this?

They're continuing to take away channels if you don't have a cable box, which I don't.

Yeah, it's always been crappy, but they're pushing for everyone to pay extra $ to get that damn box.

Then you won't like FIOS TV. Without a box you only get broadcast networks. The first regular box is free. After that regular boxes are $5, HD boxes $10 and DVR $12.

They're continuing to take away channels if you don't have a cable box, which I don't.

Yeah, it's always been crappy, but they're pushing for everyone to pay extra $ to get that damn box.

Send them a copy of your avatar...they'll get the message. B )

They have this in Dallas so I hope it makes it's way to Austin so I can see what it's all about.

Yeah, we just got the internet and phone service. So far, so good. We didn't get the TV because we have a contract for our DirecTV service that we didn't want to break. But the FIOS is soooooo much better than the old dial-up we had. :P I have nothing else to compare it to.

Well today was the day. So far I am very happy with it. It takes a full day to install it (they got here around 10 and left around 5:30). The Internet is a whole lot faster. The remote they give you for the TV stinks and the differences in DVRs takes a lot to get used to not to mention the different channel numbers. Overall though it is more channels, faster Internet for less money than I was paying before.