France Vs Italia

moustic

I don't watch much soccer but I did watch a few games. After the final today i went down to Corydon street, which is a long as$ street full of pubs, bars, whatever. Like the red mile or the oilers street. So anyway, i swear there were over 3000 Peggers down there, drunk, you couldn't even drive down the road they had it blocked off with people and cops were trying to let traffic through. good times (B) :koolaid:

... that's soccer Anna -Im glad you got a taste of it ! :koolaid:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't they deserve it, because some Aussie defender flopped down in the penalty area and the Italian guy shrewedly dribbled into his path to get a penalty? Italy was duped a hundred times worse by that non-existent French penalty kick although at least the official redeemed himself to an extent by doing the due dillegence on the Zidane head-butt which he almost got away with.

Well that's the breaks -- but if you watched today's game you tell me how many times Italy attacked during the 90 and then in the 2nd Ot when they were a man up ? They had 9 guys in the box most of those 15mins -- terrible uninspiring unwilling soccer - why they were criticized thru the cup. Having said that -they won .. and congrats to the azurri in the old country and everywhere else ! :clap:

... that's soccer Anna -Im glad you got a taste of it ! :koolaid:

LOl got a few tastes actually....reminds me of hockey playoffs in Calgary, except i knew none of the players people were screaming about...

My jaw dropped when I saw what Zidane did, but I guess we shouldn't have been that surprised really - he had proven capable of something like this by stomping on that Saudi Arabia player's back in '98 and gotten thrown out of a couple of other big games - even one in this World Cup, but he'd built up such a reserve of goodwill and respect people'd overlooked his pecadilloes until now.

Still, I've never seen a player go from hero to goat that quickly or shockingly. I wonder if he changes his mind about retiring now instead of ending on this note.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/...1676357-ap.html

From the article...

Players blamed Materazzi for making sure that Zidane ended his sterling career under a cloud.

"When I see this, I want to smash his face," France defender William Gallas said.

--

Wow I am shocked that the French are blaming the Italians for what happened... and for clarification that French quote is talking about Materazzi...

Well that's the breaks -- but if you watched today's game you tell me how many times Italy attacked during the 90 and then in the 2nd Ot when they were a man up ? They had 9 guys in the box most of those 15mins -- terrible uninspiring unwilling soccer - why they were criticized thru the cup. Having said that -they won .. and congrats to the azurri in the old country and everywhere else ! :clap:

Well you can also argue that France didn't deserve to win because they were dominating all that time and kept it near Italy's net and still failed to pop a single goal in except for when they were given that gift-wrapped penalty kick.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/...1676357-ap.html

From the article...

Players blamed Materazzi for making sure that Zidane ended his sterling career under a cloud.

"When I see this, I want to smash his face," France defender William Gallas said.

--

Wow I am shocked that the French are blaming the Italians for what happened... and for clarification that French quote is talking about Materazzi...

Wow look at the level of sportsmanship shown by the players of both teams. The French are somehow blaming Materazzi for Zidane's career ending like that, and Pirlo from Italy's team is saying Zidane "remains a great champion despite."

And now the United States goes back to normal and no one talks about Soccer for another 4 years.

Kind of a sad reality. This was a really fun game to watch. Loved that header Italia tied it on. Perfectly executed. They were the best at corner kicks.

I have no idea what Zidane was thinking. He had played a spectacular game and was very involved in the first half of the OT before his brain cramp. He setup some chances and then was flat out robbed by the Italia goalie. Man, that was an awesome save. I mean it was a perfect give and go and header from Zidane that was labeled for the inside of the crossbar before that goalie jumped up and swatted it away at the last split second. Remarkable.

I really felt France deserved to win it in the OT. They created more chances. It seemed like Italia just sat back. Even when they were up a man for the final 8-9 minutes of the 2nd half, they hardly got any chances while shorthanded France attacked. I was surprised by that.

Almost like Italy was playing for kicks. Well, in the end it worked out okay for them. :)

That was an awesome celebration. Ceremony was great. Good stuff! Congrats to Italy on winning the World Cup!!!!! :clap::clap:

Excellent observation Diablo. Very spot on. I was pulling for France to win partly because of that close to the vest strategy. Play to win. You're up a man and they're sitting back. Why?

Well, France blames Materazzi for what he said to Zidane... This Italian didn't make his 1st stupid comment in that game. In fact he's a awful guy, a kind of soft fascist with some hard comments on black players.

The rumour talks about comments on Zidane's mother and that's why Zizou lost his nerves... BTW he took his 14th red card in career, not the 1st time he lost his nerves.

I'm a little sad for this loss, especially in a shootout. Nobody expected us to go that far and losing like that is... :(

zidane was by far the best football player in the finals.

soccer is not that exciting, but the skills that guy has is insane...

it sucks that the sport is so full of panzy drama queens, flopping around on the grass in tears, begging for free kicks, etc.

all i got to say is zidane's head but was great, my only regret is he did not knock the wanker out cold.

Materazzi did nothing that Claude Lemieux didn't do every single NHL game. From the trash talking to the extra bumps and nudges when nobody is looking. Some are saying that Zidane got a purple nurple from Materazzi when no officials were looking their way. None of that matters. That's how stars get treated in any sport to throw them off their game. You either fight through it to be a hero, or you retaliate to be a zero.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes, Italy kept everyone back in the 2nd half and the extra time. After the first half the commentators were calling it a classic; one of the best finals ever. After the second half the commentators were saying it wasn't all that exciting of a game, but it had its moments. Ah well, Italy played the system that it had to play to frustrate the other team and give Italy the best shot at winning. Trust me, those people on Preston Street didn't care that Italy didn't even *TRY* to score in the second half.

Italia IS a great champion... no problem with that...

Zidane deserve to be elected Best Player of this World Cup (he IS the best World Player by far... )

I guess you don't know very well this guy... it's not his first red card. It's all zidane in one game, his last game... A goal, a GREAT GREAT game, a touch of finess & a crazy headshot :doh1:

For the history, Materazzi insult Zidane ALL THE GAME and say crap about Zidane's Religion (he is muslim) and call him Terrorist...

When I heard that... I understand Zizou (don't excuse... but understand)

That's how stars get treated in any sport to throw them off their game

It's not true in all Sport... Maybe in US sport... but not in all sport. Insult all the game is not the norm in soccer

Good Bye Zizou ! You're was the greatest french soccer player ever... and one of the World All time greatest !

Thanks For all :clap::clap:

(and Forza Italia :P )

Edited by moustic

Meh... Italy did not deserve this cup anyone who watched this tourney and the game has to agree - they did nothing thru out including when they had an extra guy they just sat back .. Zidane's move was unfortunate... and like Jimmy said at least the US squad did not lose vs Italy.

I agree 100%. US outplayed Italy w/ 9 men!!! Italy had 1 good game, v. germany and the wint he cup?? terrible!!

As for Zizou.. he was the best player all tournament... I have no idea what made him snap.. but he has a history of snapping.. He did it w/ Juventus.. ( and you know the itlaians knew about it!!) and i read somewhere he headbutted someone when he was 12!!!

Horrible way to be remembered when he payed as great as he did.. IMHO he is the best player in the world right now... not Becks, not Rolandinho.. not Christiano Ronaldo..

anyone else kind of think the world cup sucked? I mean i watched a ton of games, and a lot of it was just incredibly mindblowingly boring. Every team is under so much pressure and are just so scared of losing that no one takes any risks really. But at the same time i found it bizarrely compelling. Maybe just the fact that so many people take is sooooo seriously.

It's nice to know the Americans outplayed the "World Cup Champs", and with only 9 men.

Would you still quote the World Cup Champs if France would have won?

Doubt it.

Almost like Italy was playing for kicks. Well, in the end it worked out okay for them. :)

That was an awesome celebration. Ceremony was great. Good stuff! Congrats to Italy on winning the World Cup!!!!! :clap::clap:

Excellent observation Diablo. Very spot on. I was pulling for France to win partly because of that close to the vest strategy. Play to win. You're up a man and they're sitting back. Why?

You think Italy was playing for PK's, givent their illustrious history in PK's in the World Cup???

Maybe it was also France going for it all because they knew they would struggle in PK's because of their own goaltender.

I do not like the PK's at all, either way. But it is what it is.

Barthez does not have problems with PK's, he is quite good at stopping a ball. Italy took 5 great penalties. His problems usually arise from positioning and crosses. He played rather well in the tourney. But Buffon was by far the best keeper in the tournament.

Italy was extremely boring to watch. France played a much more up tempo game.

It's still nice to know the US putplayed the "World Cup Champs" with only 9 men.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

I think it depends on the games you watched, I found brazil, Portugal & France and all the Afican teams to be very entertaining. I also enjoyed the Eng games, but probably just becuase I know most of the players and I'm a huge rooney fan.. kept waiting for him to break out... have to wait for 2010!!!

(...) I'm a huge rooney fan.. kept waiting for him to break out... have to wait for 2010!!!

If you ask the portugese player on the ground... Rooney break some stuff :P

(but I agree with you on this player... he's 100% british... crazy head full of talent !)

I really like this kind of player (physical & technic as hell) Rooney, Tevez...

A great player with a bulldog inside :dance:

If you ask the portugese player on the ground... Rooney break some stuff :P

(but I agree with you on this player... he's 100% british... crazy head full of talent !)

I really like this kind of player (physical & technic as hell) Rooney, Tevez...

A great player with a bulldog inside :dance:

Exactly!!!

apparently the italy guy told zidane "you're the son of a terrorist whore"...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...006/5169342.stm

at least that is what a deaf lip reader expert hired by the BBC could make out...lol!

apparently zidane's mother has been quite sick...i can see where anyone would snap...i see nothing wrong with fighting in soccer, they should just make it a 5 minute penalty.