The official exhale thread

'7'

i feel some what relieved now that the season is over and the rangers did not end up pulling through to win..certainly did not want to hear from their fans all year next season, however i do have a heart and i do feel badly for some of the ranger fans that i know ..i know, we all know how this feels...especially for my girls father who is a ranger fan..guy cheers for the devils whenever they do not play the rangers because he knows im a die hard and at the same time he knows i cannot fvcking stand the rangers..makes me feel kind of bad sometimes lol. On a second note now the season is over and there is no hockey left to watch which always sucks in the beginning of the off season.. but im ready to enjoy this summer and not rush it by too quickly

Tomorrow I see my father-in-law, a Ranger fan since he was 17, and he's now 83. This one will hurt him bad. Just 1 Cup win in 67 years for him.

Still as a Devs fans I am relieved, but will keep that to myself tomorrow.

Edited by BlueSkirt

Tomorrow I see my father-in-law, a Ranger fan since he was 17, and he's now 83. This one will hurt him bad. Just 1 Cup win in 67 years for him.

I hear ya on that. That's the type of Ranger fan I actually have resepct for. Gotta respect the old-timers.

It's a reminder why 1994 will never stop being celebrated. You live and die with a team. You invest thousands and thousands of dollars (for some hundreds of thousands). You invest thousands and thousands of evenings. You are left disappointed year after year, but 1 time it's all fvcking worth it.

1994 is going to be the pinnacle for long-time Rangers fans like your father-in-law. So while we laugh about MSG rerunning 1994 over and over again, can you blame him for once or twice a year stopping to relive that incredible moment. Better than the alternative. He waited 46 years for that. The longer you had to wait, the sweeter it is. He knows damn well that 1994 is all he's going to get.

It's a reminder why 1994 will never stop being celebrated. You live and die with a team. You invest thousands and thousands of dollars (for some hundreds of thousands). You invest thousands and thousands of evenings. You are left disappointed year after year, but 1 time it's all fvcking worth it.

1994 is going to be the pinnacle for long-time Rangers fans like your father-in-law. So while we laugh about MSG rerunning 1994 over and over again, can you blame him for once or twice a year stopping to relive that incredible moment. Better than the alternative. He waited 46 years for that. The longer you had to wait, the sweeter it is. He knows damn well that 1994 is all he's going to get.

The endless celebrations of '94 bother me more as it encapsulates the total arrogance of the Rangers as an organization and of a big part of their fanbase. There are plenty organizations that have only one one championship over a long stretch of time or perhaps never. Not one of them acts like their victories have any greater significance other than the enjoyment their fanbase personally got out of it. In other words, Ducks fans are happy their team won, and they may enjoy reminiscing about when they won the Cup. Same with the Lightning, same with the Devils, Bruins, Penguins, Red Wings, Blackhawks.

The typical Ranger fan, and especially their bandwagoners, though, think that '94 was this spectacular moment for hockey in general, and perhaps in the history of civilization. Even the Yankees and the Canadians, two organizations that have a lot to brag about, aren't nearly as full of themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't realize how often MSG reruns the Summer of 94 stuff.  I understand that, and I understand that for people like him, it has to be incredibly special, and that the players on the 94 team are gods forever - it also helps that 1994 was a great playoff year in general.  But man, they can't stop talking about it.  Unless the Rangers had come back from 3-0 in this Finals series, I imagine the narrative around a Rangers Cup Final win would be - this was a great team, but it was nothing compared to 94.

The Rangers weren't a 100 point team because they had a low shooting percentage - they shot under 8% as a team, which is hard to do.  (For the record, the NJ teams the last two years that fans were crying about having no finish both had better shooting percentages than this year's Rangers team).  

The Rangers don't have a lot of dynamite prospects ready for the NHL now, but they did sign two big-time UDFAs who might be contributors.  People always overlook those types of players when they evaluate prospects.  They also look to have had a ridiculous 2013 draft for a team that didn't have any 1st round picks.  

If I were in Sather's shoes, I'd do what I could to get Joe Thornton and maybe try to sign Dan Boyle and really go for it next year.  The East is not strong.  The Rangers' window isn't huge, it's as long as Lundqvist is an elite goalie.

absolutely agree. They have to go for it in these next 2-3 years. The east/metro division is pretty weak overall (yet another reason I don't like the new playoff format but I digress) and the long term outlook isn't as appealing in terms of young prospects & picks.

I Think their offseason might be just as interesting as ours. Certainly Richards will be their 2nd compliance buyout, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fielded offers for Nash as well. I just think that his production doesn't justify his cap hit. And you know they'll be active in free agency.

If they did go after someone like Thornton, I'm not sure what they'd have of interest to the sharks. I don't think they'd want to part with krieder and package centered on Hagelin and/or girardi probably wouldnt get it done (could be beaten by other interested teams.)

It didn't happen. It got too close for comfort but it didn't happen. It was annoying, the Rags hanging on for dear life. The Kings at times getting lax and lazy and giving the Rags cheap goals. Even tonight. Let's face it the Kings went up 1-0 and lapsed. Rags got a powerplay (didn't even see the damn call, prob was a gift) and scored, then got a super lucky Boyle goal with seconds left. Then hung on for dear life as the ghost of Tortarella appeared as well as their 6 goalies. Didn't work

They kept plugging and didn't stop. The Kings have steel in their veins. They ground the Rags to dust late in these games and in OT. The refs tried their best (TWO POWERPLAYS IN OT ARE YOU sh!tTING ME!?) while the Kings were denied powerplays despite the Rags doing some atrocious hooking and holding to hang on. Posts galore, close calls. But it was the Kings always getting the best of the opportunities and outplaying the Rangers.

And how awesome is it to watch Gaborik skate around with the cup. Must really sting for the Rangers fans.

To be honest if the Rags pulled this out they weren't winning the series anyway. They just have no capability to play 60 minutes anymore, The reserves weren't there in the tank. It's no coincidence the Kings just run them to the ditch late in these games. They have bigger, better athletes

So now what happens? Rangerstown is being boarded up. The bandwagon is emptying. The diehards are weeping. And we dodged a major bullet by not having to deal with a Rags cup. That would've really hurt the Devils brand. So they won the eastern conference? Big f'n deal. We can survive that.

Rangers are not getting back here again. Not for a long time. They'll be in the playoffs next year and they'll be good...but I predict a very slow start for them next season. And I don't know if Lundqvist will be the same after starting something like 3,000 games this season. He'll be 33 next year. There's a good chance he retires cupless. I almost look at him like a pitcher who just threw 150 pitches and took a no hitter into the 9th....and lost. Sometimes guys are not the same after playoffs like this. This Rangers team will take some hits in the offseason. Losing Stralman would hurt. Some of the lower line guys will not produce like they did this year. Lundqvist may decline a bit. St. Louis is ancient. Nash is a clown flipping and flopping all over the ice and has never been an elite, clutch finisher. Brad Richards had his foot out the door before this series even ended. Maybe they won't have the same injury luck. It's hard to get back here again.

Time to go enjoy summer. Swimming, fishing, hanging with your kids. The Rags are dead. They're buried. They're not coming up out of the coffin anymore. No 20th anniversary magic. They'll have to dust off the old 94 VHS for another 20 years

You probably think the Zuccarello call was legit. The Kings did a lot of hooking in the neutral zone. They finally were called for it in overtime but the Rangers couldn't take advantage. Calling the Boyle goal lucky. He deserved it. That guy works as hard as anyone. I hope he re-signs. They have some interesting decisions with Boyle and Moore very similar checking types.

The only thing I agree on is their strategy trying to hold on for dear life. You can't do that. Vigneault coached a poor series. Part of it was due to the Kings, who were just bigger and more skilled. They just attack everywhere. That's what happens when you draft guys like Pearson and Toffoli adding that to a nucleus of Kopitar, Carter and add Gaborik for practically zilch. Their center depth was the biggest edge. Plus Doughty is the best defenseman since Lidstrom. He really is like having 2 number 1 defensemen.

The refs? Not in a series where the Kings got the biggest break of all. I don't blame O'Halloran for Game 2. I blame my team for not having the composure to shake it off and put that one away. A much different series. As for your assertion that Gaborik winning bothers me or other Ranger fans, you're wrong. Most like and respect him and understood that he had to go. Even if it was due to Tortorella. They got an excellent return (Brassard, J. Moore, Dorsett) with all three players playing key roles. Brassard will be here a while and so should Moore if he ever figures it out. Dorsett's one of those gritty types all teams need. I'm happy for Gaborik. He found a team where he could play a supporting role. He should re-sign.

Rangers Town lives. It may lose some band wagon types. Who needs those? You think this place hasn't seen would be Devils Army types who abandoned ship. 7', all successful teams have those. I was at a bar last night in a sea of blue taking in Game 5 with coworkers. And it was an awesome atmosphere. But one coworker said he felt I was the realest fan there. It made me chuckle. There are plenty of diehards who sit today and are proud of what they accomplished. I say they can get back there sooner than you or any Rangers hater wants to think. They have the goalie, a top defenseman and some good pieces. There are flaws that need fixing like adding size and filling the leadership void once Richards is bought out. Perhaps having to go out and replace Stralman assuming he priced himself out. It's much harder to keep teams together. The experience is one that should benefit our core. Similar to 2012.

1994 is celebrated for exactly what you stated. For fans like BlueSkirt's Dad who waited so long to see them win. The same for my Dad, who went to games as a teenager and saw Orr skate the Cup in '72. The 54-year drought and all the phenomenal storylines are why it's still going to be discussed. Personally, I hate it. There are lot of fans who do and just want it to sink like the Titanic. That ship has sailed. It was great at the time and I remember going to the parade in a sea of humidity after riding the Ferry. That was a wonderful time.

This year has really made up for all the lost years where this team did nothing. There was never any comparison. Different teams. This one more based on the goalie and team rather than stars and supporting cast. I personally enjoyed the 2013-14 Rangers more because I got to experience it. 1994 may as well be half a century ago. I'm fine with that.

i had the dilemma this year. My youngest son, (in Coast Guard in L.I.) has lived in NY for about 6-7 years.  He had a Stevens jersey (given to him by ex lady friend) and we would meet at Devils games once in a blue moon. (we also met at PC for year we chose Larsson)

About a month ago, his bride to be posts a picture (text) of her pulling a Ryan McDonagh jersey out of clothes dryer! Initially, I was blown away, he is going to have to strike a balance of liking both teams.  he's a big Yankee's fan, and went to a couple MSG games. 

In spite of losing, Rangers were in every game except #3. Lundquist was really good, so were other (individual Rangers sporadically.  They have a lot to be proud of.  Relief!

• Like 1

i had the dilemma this year. My youngest son, (in Coast Guard ON L.I.) has lived in NY for about 6-7 years. He had a Stevens jersey (given to him by ex lady friend) and we would meet at Devils games once in a blue moon. (we also met at PC for year we chose Larsson)

About a month ago, his bride to be posts a picture (text) of her pulling a Ryan McDonagh jersey out of clothes dryer! Initially, I was blown away, he is going to have to strike a balance of liking both teams. he's a big Yankee's fan, and went to a couple MSG games.

In spite of losing, Rangers were in every game except #3. Lundquist was really good, so were other (individual Rangers sporadically. They have a lot to be proud of. Relief![/quote

Fixed. Its ON Long Island. You cant live in an island. As a long islander this bothers me

1994 is celebrated for exactly what you stated. For fans like BlueSkirt's Dad who waited so long to see them win. The same for my Dad, who went to games as a teenager and saw Orr skate the Cup in '72. The 54-year drought and all the phenomenal storylines are why it's still going to be discussed. Personally, I hate it. There are lot of fans who do and just want it to sink like the Titanic. That ship has sailed. It was great at the time and I remember going to the parade in a sea of humidity after riding the Ferry. That was a wonderful time.

This year has really made up for all the lost years where this team did nothing. There was never any comparison. Different teams. This one more based on the goalie and team rather than stars and supporting cast. I personally enjoyed the 2013-14 Rangers more because I got to experience it. 1994 may as well be half a century ago. I'm fine with that.

hey congrats on a great season. I know us devs fans can try to discount any and every rangers accomplishment but you guys definitely had a year to be proud of. As far as breaks go I honestly felt it went both ways in the finals but in the end the better team won. Very similar to our series with them in 2012-o n the scoreboard the games were close but on the ice it wasn't nearly as so.
  • Like 1

I'm not giving them the credit of it "being a very close series", that's malarkey. The pundits are right, in their hindsight breakdown of the series:

- No goals for the Rangers in any game after the 2nd period.

- Kings outshooting the hell out of NY in the second half of each game, to an embarrassing degree. People who never watched hockey  before could see the Kings as the better team in every game as they approached the second 30 minutes of the game.

- The "luck" they say that let the fateful goal in Game 2 not be whistled off is a fraction of the luck I saw in play in Game 4, with crossbars and pucks stopping on the goal line, to avoid a sweep.

This series was never close. Kings-Devils in 2012 was a true dogfight, if you want to compare the two.

I'm not giving them the credit of it "being a very close series", that's malarkey. The pundits are right, in their hindsight breakdown of the series:

- Kings outshooting the hell out of NY in the second half of each game, to an embarrassing degree. People who never watched hockey  before could see the Kings as the better team in every game as they approached the second 30 minutes of the game.

- The "luck" they say that let the fateful goal in Game 2 not be whistled off is a fraction of the luck I saw in play in Game 4, with crossbars and pucks stopping on the goal line, to avoid a sweep.

This series was never close. Kings-Devils in 2012 was a true dogfight, if you want to compare the two.

There's only the NY media and fans that think it was close.....even if the Kings swept the series you'd be hearing NY say it was "closer than people realize"    stuff like that

- Kings outshooting the hell out of NY in the second half of each game, to an embarrassing degree. People who never watched hockey before could see the Kings as the better team in every game as they approached the second 30 minutes of the game.

absolutely, the rangers were outshot 194-129 in the series. It was not close in all but the scoreboard. The kings were obviously the better team (as they were in 2012 too, but the that series was more competitive.)

Actually the nba and nhl finals were scary similar. Both "kings" carried their team but it wasn't really a contest. The only difference is that in basketball if you get thoroughly outplayed it shows on the scoreboard. In hockey that's not necessarily the case.

Also want to make a point that just because it wasn't that competitive doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining- watching the kings throw everything they had and just not finding the net at times was insanely frustrating but in a good way (at least I can say that now that I know the result).

Edited by dmann422

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

I disagree. That 2012 Kings knocked off the president's trophy Vancouver Canucks in 5 games and then swept the 2nd seeded St Louis Blues.

The 2012 also went up 3-0 in the series in every series! They were completely dominate.

This 2014 should have been knocked out in the first round but the gutless Sharks let them hang around.

It was close. The two series are comparable. First two games went to overtime with LA prevailing. There's only one difference. The 2014 Kings were much better than the 2012 Kings.

2012 Quick:  20 GP, 1.41 GAA, .946 save%, 26.9 shots faced per game, 61:55 TOI per game

2014 Quick:  26 GP, 2.58 GAA, .911 save%, 29.8 shots faced per game, 61:44 TOI per game  

In the regular season, when eliminating phantom shootout goals, the '12 Kings allowed 170 goals and the '14 Kings allowed 168, so there's no real smoking gun there.  The regular season is clearly a different beast (and every season we see evidence that being the "best" regular season team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore), but the '12 Kings finished up with 95 points and the '14 Kings ended the season with 100 points.  Also, the '12 Kings finished up their season fairly strong...after starting their season 14-14-4, they went 26-13-9 the rest of the way, including 12-4-3 in their final 19 when they needed wins to stay in the race (they also made the deal for Jeff Carter).  Their regular season record was a little misleading.  

Just not seeing how the '14 Kings were that much better than the '12 Kings. 

2012 Quick:  20 GP, 1.41 GAA, .946 save%, 26.9 shots faced per game, 61:55 TOI per game

2014 Quick:  26 GP, 2.58 GAA, .911 save%, 29.8 shots faced per game, 61:44 TOI per game  

In the regular season, when eliminating phantom shootout goals, the '12 Kings allowed 170 goals and the '14 Kings allowed 168, so there's no real smoking gun there.  The regular season is clearly a different beast (and every season we see evidence that being the "best" regular season team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore), but the '12 Kings finished up with 95 points and the '14 Kings ended the season with 100 points.  Also, the '12 Kings finished up their season fairly strong...after starting their season 14-14-4, they went 26-13-9 the rest of the way, including 12-4-3 in their final 19 when they needed wins to stay in the race (they also made the deal for Jeff Carter).  Their regular season record was a little misleading.  

The 2012 Kings were much better than the 2014 Kings, but butthurt Rags fans want to think otherwise to make themselves feel better.

I'd say these Kings were a much stronger team top to bottom than they were in 2012. The West was an absolute jungle this season, so it doesn't matter to me that it was a grind for the 2014 Kings to get to the Finals. The 2012 Kings flew through the playoffs, but beating that Vancouver team is now not considered such an accomplishment, and Phoenix was a nice story but out of their league. SH can mention that this team was the 1seed or the 2seed, but that isn't so important when you consider a team as good as LA was the 8 seed.

Yes, Quick was not as strong in the playoffs, but he was just as good in the Finals as he was in 2012, so if that's what Derek is debating on, then you have to concede that. Doughty was stronger, Voynov and Martinez are better. Add Muzzin and get rid of Scuderi. Carter is more comfortable in their system. They added Gaborik. Kopitar is a more complete player. Strong young talent in Toffoli and Pearson. King and Clifford are so much better.

I like the 2014 Kings in a landslide. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I'd say these Kings were a much stronger team top to bottom than they were in 2012. The West was an absolute jungle this season, so it doesn't matter to me that it was a grind for the 2014 Kings to get to the Finals. The 2012 Kings flew through the playoffs, but beating that Vancouver team is now not considered such an accomplishment, and Phoenix was a nice story but out of their league. SH can mention that this team was the 1seed or the 2seed, but that isn't so important when you consider a team as good as LA was the 8 seed.

Yes, Quick was not as strong in the playoffs, but he was just as good in the Finals as he was in 2012, so if that's what Derek is debating on, then you have to concede that. Doughty was stronger, Voynov and Martinez are better. Add Muzzin and get rid of Scuderi. Carter is more comfortable in their system. They added Gaborik. Kopitar is a more complete player. Strong young talent in Toffoli and Pearson. King and Clifford are so much better.

I like the 2014 Kings in a landslide. 

They are better, but you can't discount the decline of Brown Richards and Stoll - all three guys had pretty terrible seasons.  Pearson and Toffoli are good offensive players, not sure they are play drivers yet.  But Gaborik makes this Kings team definitely better than the 2012 version.

Edited by Triumph