RUMOR: Callahan to be traded as per Boomer Esiason

Mike Brown

Callahan's contract will not provide value in Year 1.  It will not provide value in Year 6.  Ryan Callahan belongs to the class of player who is always overpaid upon reaching UFA because he never takes a shift off.  His best years are probably behind him already, and he's likely to become more injury-prone as he ages.

The Devils can't afford a contract like this because they have too many other problems on the team and hustle isn't one of them.  Callahan's contract will be Clarksonesque - if he makes it to July 1, his contract will immediately be one of the 5 worst in hockey.

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

I don't think anyone in Minnesota thinks they overpaid for Zach and its a bad contract. We need players here, a large portion of our point production is from guys that are old. I don't know the specifics of contract buyouts, but I don't mind Calahan being overpaid given that we have absolutley no one else.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

Edited by Sneax

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

I don't think anyone in Minnesota thinks they overpaid for Zach and its a bad contract. We need players here, a large portion of our point production is from guys that are old. I don't know the specifics of contract buyouts, but I don't mind Calahan being overpaid given that we have absolutley no one else.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

You can't just say, well we're not going to be a cap team, so might as well overpay this guy or that guy.  I mean, it makes a certain amount of sense up to a point and under certain circumstances, but not with Callahan.  Or as they say about government spending, a billion here and a billion there, and eventually you're talking about real money.

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

I understand what you're saying but just because we'll have money to spend doesn't mean we should spend it on anything. Signing Callahan to a 7 year deal can hurt you down the line. Look at people's opinions of guys like Salvador and volchenkov, who's play has dipped with age.

It would be the equivalent of a child getting $50 from his parents and going out to spend it on the first toy he sees. Next thing you know 2 weeks later all the other kids at school have a newer toy and the kid is stuck with a lame ass old piece of junk under his bed that he doesn't play with anymore.

The problem with Sal/Volch is not that they have crazy contracts it's that we use them when we have better options on the roster. No one is complaining about either of their contracts, because there is zero reason to complain. Them being signed isn't the reason we don't have someone else signed that is better.

and @daniel

THe only time our spending matters as a team is when overpaying for X player results in us lossing the ability to resign player Y. This is not the case, there is alot of flexibility in the NHL on a longer term basis, you can do things to work your cap like trade it take half the hit or buy it out...ect. We are not in danger of being in cap trouble or missing out on signing players, and even if we did we could work something out. There is no real money when it comes to free agency, your only restriction is cap space not nominal amounts spent over the years. To many fans get caught up in how much someone is being paid.

Case in point, people went crazy when the vikings (i use alot of viking references) paid josh freeman 3 million to play the remainder of the year (or not play). And people were OUTRAGED that he got that kind of money to do nothing, but in reality it had no bearing on the team. As fans we shouldn't care about the owners bank account, only about how the spending impacts the teams ability to retain players.

Given that you can work around these contracts now, the bill doesn't really ever come due if you manage it well. If bills came due in today's NHL explain to me how the rangers manage to work, the only thing other than RC they have had to give up from their core is MDZ who was playing like sh!t anyway. They get to keep girardi lunqvist richards nash and will probably resign Mcdonaugh. I don't think outside of CS we have anyone worworthy of a huge contract, so clearly we have some room. The kids are still young and there will be time to free up money for them when they need to be signed.

Edited by Sneax

The problem with Sal/Volch is not that they have crazy contracts it's that we use them when we have better options on the roster. No one is complaining about either of their contracts, because there is zero reason to complain. Them being signed isn't the reason we don't have someone else signed that is better.

a large part of the reason why they are playing is because they are veterans and they have those contracts. In 3-4 years when Callahan is putting up 30 points and/or missing 40 games a season everyone would feel the same way about him. If you could get him for 4 yrs 20 mil then yea it's not bad but 7 and 46mil is just crazy.

How can we move a player that doesn't move?

I'll help him move. Hell, if we could trade Sal, I'd help him pack up his sh!t, and I'd drive him to where ever we send him. Not just the airport- that's right, I'll drive Bryce Salvador all the way to Edmonton if that's where he goes. I'll drive him to Vancouver. I will drive Bryce Salvador anywhere the fvck in North America he wants if it means he gets the fvck off the Devils. And I'll do it with a giant fvcking smile on my face.
  • Like 2

Off topic, but I'm still confident Bernier will at one point break out and have that kind of season. He well may have scored fifteen last year if not for the short season. In fact, it would have been likely.

Bernier was a first round pick, and was picked before Parise.  He has the ability.  If he got legit 2nd line minutes, I can see him hitting 50 points.

Bernier was a first round pick, and was picked before Parise.  He has the ability.  If he got legit 2nd line minutes, I can see him hitting 50 points.

Right. Didn't he have a good first season or two before going to Vancouver? He's still only 28, we might get something unexpected from him at some point.

Right. Didn't he have a good first season or two before going to Vancouver? He's still only 28, we might get something unexpected from him at some point.

It was San Jose.  27 points in 39 games in his rookie season.  He's been mostly a 30 point player since then.

Well now I know you are officially completely unequivocally insanely out of your mind.  4th line players don't get second line minutes because they can't produce as second line players.  There's a reason Bernier nearly washed out of the league and was basically AHL fodder for a couple years and really hasn't been any good at all in his time in the NHL aside from a role as a checker with some physical edge.

And by the way, when Bernier was drafted, it was because he "HAD" the ability back then.  But a lot of things change and sometimes things aren't actually what they were once thought to be.  Hugh Jessiman was a first round pick and was picked before Parise.  I guess he still has the "ability", no?

Bernier has been terrible this year by the way.  Just want to remind everyone on that.

Also, the earth must be tilting off it's axis but I agreed with absolutely everything that Triumph posted on the St. Louis and Callahan nonsense.

Callahan strikes me as a guy whose dependability, consistency, and best hockey is absolutely 100 percent behind him, somewhat like Clarkson but in Callahan's case with a better body of work over a longer period and Callahan being a bit better of a two-way player, but he's had so many injuries, relies on the gritty style to make him look better than he really is and just doesn't finish enough to earn the kind of money he thinks he deserves.

I'll help him move. Hell, if we could trade Sal, I'd help him pack up his sh!t, and I'd drive him to where ever we send him. Not just the airport- that's right, I'll drive Bryce Salvador all the way to Edmonton if that's where he goes. I'll drive him to Vancouver. I will drive Bryce Salvador anywhere the fvck in North America he wants if it means he gets the fvck off the Devils. And I'll do it with a giant fvcking smile on my face.

That made me LOL.  And if you need another pair of hands to help in the move, let me know.

It's a laughable premise that Bernier would get 50 points with second line minutes.  Essentially you're saying he's the third best forward on the team then cause there's only two forwards above a 50-point pace.  Even his acceptable year last year he was 8-7-15 and -7 in 47 games, this year he has 10 points in 59 games with a -15.

Well now I know you are officially completely unequivocally insanely out of your mind.  4th line players don't get second line minutes because they can't produce as second line players.  There's a reason Bernier nearly washed out of the league and was basically AHL fodder for a couple years and really hasn't been any good at all in his time in the NHL aside from a role as a checker with some physical edge.

And by the way, when Bernier was drafted, it was because he "HAD" the ability back then.  But a lot of things change and sometimes things aren't actually what they were once thought to be.  Hugh Jessiman was a first round pick and was picked before Parise.  I guess he still has the "ability", no?

Bernier has been terrible this year by the way.  Just want to remind everyone on that.

Jessiman never had a rookie year like Bernier had.  It just went down hill from there.  And yes I know he's been terrible this year.

:haha2:

No, but seriously, I'm down. Road trip!